the "translate please" thread

herneheim said:
pretty much like german, yes..
the grammar is a bitch, probably as bad as german, or possibly worse.

but i like it ;)

hmm...i always tought that it is more similar to english, i once looked at a text in swedish and it's translation in english and much of the words were kind of similar and much of them made sense. Anyway i will download the first ten
Learn Swedish like a Spy audio lessions and see where it will get me :devil:

well probably yes but some languages may belong to the same language group(family) and still have some strong differences. For example i can more easily understand serbian or croatian than say slovakian even though they all belong to the slavic language group (along with macedonian)
Therefore i thought that maybe swedish is more similar to english than to german even though they all belong to the anglo-saxonic language family..

Yes, Cuthalion is right. As much as I love hearing Serbian, I dont understand much and Im a native speaker of a Slavic language. Poland is even closer, but hell, Polish is tough, too. The funny thing is when you start comparing words which have a completely innocent meaning in one language, but totally pejorative in the other. E.g. words like kokot and piča mean rooster and drink in Serbian, but in Slovak they mean prick and cunt. :D Or the word šukať means to look for in Polish, but in Slovak it means to fuck. :D So, you can imagine my surprise when two Polish tourists came once to me and said: My šukame za hotelom (which in Polish means "We are looking for a hotel"), but in Slovak it means "We are fucking behind a hotel". :lol: And I know that Swedish tourists are surprised when they visit PULA in Croatia. Ill leave Cuthalion the pleasure of explaining that one. ;)

marduk1507 said:
And I know that Swedish tourists are surprised when they visit PULA in Croatia. Ill leave Cuthalion the pleasure of explaining that one. ;)

I'm sorry but i don't know anything about it. I have never been to Pula, does the word PULA mean something in swedish? Marduk i guess the pleasure of explaining will fall to you :dopey:

fireangel said:
I think that historical Swedish influenced the old English languages when the Swedes (or Nordic people in general) came to England. Many Swedish words look like an earlier version of an English word. At the same time, German and Swedish grammar are not that different, and lots of vocabulary looks somehow familiar to me (as a native German speaker).
But according to language science, English, Dutch and German belong to the westgermanic part of Germanic languages,while for example Norwegian, Danish, Swedish are of the northgermanic part, so English and German should be closer to each other than German to Swedish / English to Swedish.
It feels different, though :D

@fireangel thanks for the explanation i will still try to learn swedish and after that :dopey: since it is similar i will continue with german and after german every other germanic language :) It will take me 40 years but i will do it :loco:

marduk1507 said:
@Cuthalion: I thought fireangel would explain it, but Im not sure now. I think Pula means vagina or cunt in Swedish.

Umm, not really. Possibly a slight "non-rude" term that also means "hen" :)

It can be a verb tho, if spelt with double L. That would mean female masturbation..

and in some parts of italy it is a slang word that the uneducated use to mean 'the police'. :lol:

Unicorn said:
Hello spanish speaking people,
it would be nice if someone could translate this review for my band Hel.

http://www.metalicos.com/Paginas/Compact%20Disc/Resenas/Hel_FallanVorandi.htm

thanks in advance,

Markus

that's a horribly written review. I mean, it says good things and I'm curious to hear the alleged Falkenbach inspiration, but the person who wrote it obviously has no idea what periods are for. Anyway, I'm 2/3 done with it, I'll PM it to you or if you want I can put it here.

UndoControl said:
I take it ä is pronounced the same in swedish as in german?

not in this case. when you say "as in german" i think of a "long" ä like, for example, in "käse". although we use pronounce ä that way in swedish sometimes, all the ä:s in the phrase above is like the e in (the english word) led.