The truth about Dragonforce

I'm gonna try and interview these guys here next month. I remember doing a phoner with Herman back when Valley (the album not demo) first got released. He was realy cool, down to earth, and seemed bashful almost when I asked him questions about ever getting "big". I'm just curious to see how they are now, if Herman's still the cool jovial humble guy he was back in 03.

Ask him about Demoniac & see what happens then. ;)

Personally, I attend concerts mainly to enjoy what happens on stage. Therefore, I'm confused as to why so many people are so turned off by the crowds that show up to a Dragonforce show. Sure, they may not be the most desirable group of metal-goers, but they may think the same thing about you or me, and ultimately, who cares.

I will admit, DF has some incredible techniques. They are somewhat tight. That I will give them. However, their writing and musicianship needs to mature. Let's face it: TO ME, all their albums sound the same. There is just no variety to it. The other problem is that they are being badly handled. They do NOT belong on a tour with Atreyu, Chimaira, or other metalcore nonsense. I know what I am going to say next is ProgPower heresy, and will probably deserve to get my ass kicked, but I would have no problem with a USA tour with DF as a headliner, with bands like Gammy Ray, Blind Guardian, or even (God Forgive me) Sonata Arctica, Nightwish and Kamelot as the main support. Why? For the good of the genre and the USA future for it. Can you eventually picture Kamelot or Nightwish headlining an Arena tour of their own? It can happen. Like them or not, DF is the "Trojan Horse" for Power/Prog metal in the Corporate music world. It is imperitive that we as fans of the genre urge our favorites to take full advantage of it.

Peace,
Ray C.

I love DragonForce. They are my 2nd favorite band of all-time, and if I didn't know of this band I wouldn't have gotten into Power Metal as quickly as I did. Are DragonForce teh most original, melodic and best Power bands? No, it's ridiculous to say any band is. I am seeing them the 25th for my first time and i'm going to have a damn good time.

I've been a fan of theirs for a while. Blew me away the first time I ever heard them.

I actually remember buying tickets to what was going to be their first US show at CBGBs, which sold out in about an hour with no promotion whatsoever. People just knew about that band entirely through word of mouth until Roadrunner signed them.

They do get old after a while, though, and the last album was worth a few listens before it got pretty boring. They're still a decent live band, though.

With that said, I'm glad they've gotten huge and attract a large scene kid following nowadays. If that's what it takes for some 14 year old metalcore kid to actually do some digging around in the power metal scene and discover some very decent bands, then I'm all for it. We all started somewhere, as stated before. You didn't emerge from the womb with a spiked bracelet and a denim vest with a Venom backpatch!

And yet, none of those bands will ever consider being support for Dragonforce. Ever.

But if a promoter offered them more money to do so in one than they would make a five shows in backwater clubs, even Hansi would jump at that.

Dragonforce and Blind Guardian were my first power metal bands I've ever listened to about 3 years ago. Since then I've dug deeper and deeper. And to be honest they're at the bottom of my list of power metal. Compared to other bands DF is linear and doesn't change, but they still have the solos. Other than the solos their songs hold an incredible amount of energy and I probably would try to see them live just for the chance to get into the pit.

All in all the only memorable song I really care about from them is Starfire.

i think some people, not everyone, but some, needs to ask themselves if dragonforce got as much attention as say, a band like power quest or something, would your opinion of their music be different or not. they would not be recieving the same type of bashing as on this thread if they were about as big as power quest.

thats just my opinion

I read on DF forums where DF and Edguy played a show, Edguy was supporting DragonForce somewhere in England.

That's a bit different. Bands like Nightwish, Blind Guardian, & even Sonata don't need to support Dragonforce on a tour because they sell tickets on their own. Dragonforce is still the support at any of the larger arenas and as support, didn't sell out one of the smaller clubs in my area on one of the Ozzfest offnights.
Firewind opened for Dragonforce on a European tour Oct-Dec of 06. They were also Edguy's special guest for the European (non UK) leg of that tour in early 06.

And sure to strike the nerve of some people here, looking at their website Edguy is listed as Edgay on the tour history.

That's a bit different. Bands like Nightwish, Blind Guardian, & even Sonata don't need to support Dragonforce on a tour because they sell tickets on their own. Dragonforce is still the support at any of the larger arenas and as support, didn't sell out one of the smaller clubs in my area on one of the Ozzfest offnights.
Firewind opened for Dragonforce on a European tour Oct-Dec of 06. They were also Edguy's special guest for the European (non UK) leg of that tour in early 06.

And sure to strike the nerve of some people here, looking at their website Edguy is listed as Edgay on the tour history.

maybe english teachers union should contact dragonforce on that mistake

Personally, I attend concerts mainly to enjoy what happens on stage. Therefore, I'm confused as to why so many people are so turned off by the crowds that show up to a Dragonforce show. Sure, they may not be the most desirable group of metal-goers, but they may think the same thing about you or me

Well, yeah.....and who could blame them, with the amount of negativity expressed toward them in this thread by prog- and power-metal fans? Y'know....the elite fans who are open-minded about music, yadda yadda yadda. Or so they think.

Some of those 'Hot Topic' scene kids who get into Dragonforce -- and yes, they do sell DF shirts occasionally at Hot Topic -- might just wander down the power metal road, beginning a journey of musical discovery.

It's a pity they'll find the people at the first tollbooth so unwelcoming. I wouldn't blame them for turning around. :erk:

If DF headlined a Gamma Ray/BG tour I'd cry. I saw BG a couple months ago with some boring band and it was the most wonderful show ever!!

I would have no problem seeing DF in concert if they weren't touring with such crap bands. Even though I'm not too fond of their music I would like to see them in concert to watch what they can do in full effect...i just wish there was a better line up. I even have friends that like DF but won't go to the show just because of the other acts.