The ultimate IR, NEBULA, REAL DEAL test

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
Hello,

as I wrote in the other thread I spent my diploma with the cab impulse matter.
In the following rar file you will find 6 stereo wav files in 96 khz/24 bit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7784617/ultimateIRtest.rar

Example 1 is a distorted rhythm guitar
Example 2 is a clean guitar

There are always three files for every example and you need to find out which one is the real mic'ed chain, which one is the normal convolved IR, and which is the Nebula volterra convolved one.

When enough people have participated I will post the result.

There is not even a LP/HP on the material. Please avoid posts like "everything sucks". Thanks :)

edit:
Part 2
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/714823-part-2-ultimate-ir-nebula-real-deal-test.html

Part 3
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/745042-part-3-ultimate-ir-nebula-real-deal-test.html

I'm gonna say you've got the same file three times and are trying to make some point about subjective hearing. All these examples sound the same as each other.

If not, then I'm very curious....

I'm gonna say you've got the same file three times and are trying to make some point about subjective hearing. All these examples sound the same as each other.

I promise its all different. You will notice it doesn't cancel out, that is the prove.
But there are some subtle differences. Listen for the high and low end.

Flip the phase between two of them and see for yourself.

I'll take a stab at guessing which is which when I get back from work. This should be interesting.

I'm going to say:
Distorded guit:
A Real
B Impulse
C Volterra
(A C B being my order of preference)

Clean, I have no idea...

A little more info would be cool. Did you use the preamp section of a real amp or is it an ampsim?
They sound amazingly close, it's scaring really. Why the hell did I even bother to buy real amps and cabs ;)

To me, A sounds best for distorted guitars but that might just be because it's a tad louder. Can't really make out any specific difference on my cans.

A little more info would be cool. Did you use the preamp section of a real amp or is it an ampsim?

Its the preamp section of a real amp.
Once the signal went right through the poweramp and the cab.
And for the impulse responses the preamp signal was recorded out of the effects send and convolved with the IRs.

A has a little more low end and I think it's the real deal both distorted and clean. Can't tell any difference between B and C. I'll check with a proper listening environment at home.

Haven't read any replies in this thread yet so not to spoil it.

For clip 1, A is the impulse for SURE. This was apparent without even opening the others, and as soon as the chord was struck. B and C are much closer, but B has a cleaner and more dynamic lowend, whereas C sounds muddy and flat. B is the real amp I think, but if it's Nebula, then fuckyeah because I can just buy that.

For clip 2, A is the impulse again. I'm not sure if A is the same in both, B is the same, etc. This time around, I think C sounds best. B sounds a little weird in the midrange.

edit: just read the replies. I'm shocked that so many people like A. If A isn't the impulse I'll eat my foot. A, in both clip 1 and 2, sounds middier too, and like it's got the extreme lows and highs kinda lopped off.

edit2: For clarification, A could be the Nebula impulse, I'm just assuming Nebula sounds better. I'll eat my foot is A is the real amp.

I'm going to say:
Distorded guit:
A Real
B Impulse
C Volterra
(A C B being my order of preference)

Clean, I have no idea...

I'd say same here without reading this post (nor even the thread, to keep my objectivity pure) but not that easy for me...

I can't find a real distinction in the clean ones, I'd say again B is the impulse but I may be biased by my choice in the distorted tracks.

BTW I think the differences betwen IR and real deal are always more obvious in complete mixes. The impulse tones are always less full, and are not as smooth, if that makes sense, as the real deal, for some reason, even if soloed it sounds the same.

As LeSedna says, the real distinction comes when you try to process them and work them into a full arrangement. I've been fooled many times by impulse tones I've reamped here, thinking that they were far better starting points than similarly mic'ed ones. And sure enough they were, but they always fell apart under processing.

All the same, for the high gain test 1B sounds like the real amp to me. I got no idea about the differences between Nebula and standard IR TBH, but 1B seems more natural.

If I had to guess, A feels the most static, so that's possibly the IR, whereas C may be Nebula.

Hmmm.. I can hear a bit more of a difference in the lowend on my headphones.

Based on that, I'd say:

1C is the real amp
1B is nebula
1A is the impulse

Still can't hear much of a difference between the cleans, so I'll opt out of voting on those ones.