The Whining and Bitching Thread

It's almost pointless to have French as a second language in Canada. Quebec isn't even included in "roll up the rim to win" and there's French translation on every rim. I've never met a fluent french-speaking person in Canada. Apparently 1/3 of Canada's population is made up of Asian people?. Why isn't Japanese or Chinese a second language? Haha, I think Spanish is hilarious! But I can't roll my r's, so it takes half the fun out of speaking Spanish. :(
It's more historical than anything.

The deviations from German, French and classic languages that came to form middle English and later received pronunciation happened here.

The Queen has a claim of being a direct descendent from the house of wessex.

So there.

In Hong Kong, many residents are trilingual in Cantonese (local), Mandarin (standardized), and English (formerly imposed by the British) and actually speak better English than many Americans.

Not really. Not all of the younger people speak Mandarin fluently (but the younger they get the better they speak it generally) and the younger people speak English much worse than the older people. And the young people who speak English usually have a minor grasp on the language and never use articles, verb tenses, or helping verbs. It also depends on the area of Hong Kong you're in. In the area where I lived it was hard to find anyone who spoke English and if you found someone they spoke shitty English. If you go to areas where there are a lot more tourists you get better English. Areas like Central, Wan Chai, Stanley Market, Lantau Island. Basically in that general area.

I understand that it's a more difficult language for an English speaker to learn

Chinese is very easy (compared to Hindi at least). But I am also very good at learning languages. Let me give you an example:

你好. This is "ni hao" which literally means "you well." And to say "I'm well" you leave out the verb to be because it is already implied and just say 我好 "wo hao" which is literally "I well." Also wo also means me and my. And ni also means your.

Sometimes the sentence structure can be hard but that's pretty much it.

There are tones of course but those aren't too hard (imo) and characters aren't very difficult either.

Ooooh shush Joe, shush.

It's just happened more than once that's the difference. Also they don't look different enough for people to realise.

Well they do really (blondes, redheads, sweaty romans, but people are too simple to realise).

lol

Now I deleted the original post people wont know I didn't say that.

lol

I said so I must be amazing. My hair isn't that blond anymore though and I think Hitler might have had an issue with how thick it is.

Believe it or not, while most Americans can't speak a foreign language with enough proficiency to converse with a native of said other language, I think you'd be horrified by the number of monolingual English speaking Americans who can't speak English well enough to articulate their thoughts to an educated English speaker from another country. Consequently, I find the lack of a quality English education in the majority of high schools to be a far more immediate problem than an overly relaxed foreign language policy.

Well, this is actually why I'm studying to become a high school English teacher. I'm part of the solution!

And I can't really get into the whole discussion about foreign languages and how immigrants speak English. I live in the Midwest, and it is culturally barren here.

Chinese is very easy.

No, it's absolutely not. It's not too hard to learn to SPEAK, because there's no conjugation and grammar is really simple, but learning to read and write is nearly impossible because it's not phonetic. If you don't know a character you can't read it; you can't "sound it out" and even if you know how to say it, you can't figure out what it means from that. There's a few patterns, but they're inconsistent and stupid. It's really a stupid language. It makes beautiful poetry and sounds nice when sung and all but in practical terms it's stupid stupid stupid. Also, Chinese people find it fucking hilarious when white people take Chinese, and also you'll hear them talking and if you have the balls to try talking in Chinese you'll quickly discover there's a difference between Mandarin and Cantonese.