The Whining and Bitching Thread

How are German gender-neutral nouns determined? I will never understand why three genders are necessary other than "to confuse people."

Well, apart from nouns that are obviously neither male nor female, you have the words ending with the diminutive suffix -chen or -lein, e.g. Mädchen or Äuglein (from das Auge; don't forget the Umlaut!).

Also, if you're making nouns out of verbs, which is a not too uncommon practice in German, they're mostly neutral, e.g. das Gehen (from the verb gehen), das Warten (from the verb warten), etc.

Well, apart from nouns that are obviously neither male nor female, you have the words ending with the diminutive suffix -chen or -lein, e.g. Mädchen or Äuglein (from das Auge; don't forget the Umlaut!).

Also, if you're making nouns out of verbs, which is a not too uncommon practice in German, they're mostly neutral, e.g. das Gehen (from the verb gehen), das Warten (from the verb warten), etc.

Also helps with the Latin and Greek loan words not to have to change their gender if they're already neuter.

If you saw my last picture posted. That's what a shitty as woman can do to you!

Hmm, as a native English speaker I would have to say I cannot distinguish the genders of nouns intuitively.

Japanese may have a stupidly complex system of Chinese characters with dozens of different readings for the same character, but at least they recognized the absurdity of gendered nouns and scrapped articles altogether!

My favorite German noun is "der Schnurrbart" (mustache)

My fucking dad turned the water off to the house while I was in the shower today... then I got soap in my eyes, so I stomped on the floor of the shower in a frantic bout of panic, to let him know it is imperative that he turn it back on.

I sat there for like 10 minutes, eyes burning, stuck in there before he turned it back on. Then I got this lecture about how if I do that again, I'll be kicked the fuck out for "causing damage to his property".

Well... WHO THE FUCK TURNS THE WATER OFF WHEN SOMEONE'S IN THE SHOWER? Or more importantly, who the fuck LEAVES the water off when I yelled that my eyes were fucking burning? I'm dealing with a bunch of knuckle-dragging protohumans here. I need to get the fuck out of this place.