The Whining and Bitching Thread

looking at this thread and seeing that other people have problems is more theraputic (for me at least) than seeing an actual therapist

To quote the great Morfar, from Äldreomsorgen i Övre Kågedalen:

Så länge man kan få andra å lida finns de ju ingen anledning å ta live av sä. (As long as you're able to make other people suffer there is no reason to kill yourself.)

translated from the Bondska Swedish by me

You're paying someone to tell you what you already know and to try something different?

No. I'm paying someone to help me with things from my past that haunt me. It's not as simple as 'getting over it', especially when there's repressed shit in your life.

It mainly boils down to the fact that I've never been happy with myself and it's probably a big reason why I took this breakup so hard. I was trying to fill the void of happiness with someone when I should have been trying to make myself happy the whole time.

Psychologists won't help that. In fact, all they're good for is diagnosing you so they can send you to a psychiatrist who in turn will do nothing but throw pills at you until you realize that this whole process had been a total waste of time.

Psychologists won't help that. In fact, all they're good for is diagnosing you so they can send you to a psychiatrist who in turn will do nothing but throw pills at you until you realize that this whole process had been a total waste of time.

Hypnotherapy is way different from psychotherapy. I'm seeing a hypno and a psychotherapist. I wouldn't go to a psychiatrist if I was referred.

It seems to be a common misconception that this type of shit doesn't work for anybody.

No. I'm paying someone to help me with things from my past that haunt me. It's not as simple as 'getting over it', especially when there's repressed shit in your life.

It mainly boils down to the fact that I've never been happy with myself and it's probably a big reason why I took this breakup so hard. I was trying to fill the void of happiness with someone when I should have been trying to make myself happy the whole time.

And what are they telling you to do to help you?

And what are they telling you to do to help you?

Well, the first session with the psychotherapist was an introductory session. Getting to know me, etc, figuring out what issues I need to work on, etc. I'm sure it'll bear more fruit as time goes along.

With hypnotherapy, it's focusing on aspects of me and not my ex. I know you probably think that's simple, but my brain is wired differently from yours and it's not so easy to just not think about her. I was with her for a fucking year. You don't get over that shit in a month.

Well, the first session with the psychotherapist was an introductory session. Getting to know me, etc, figuring out what issues I need to work on, etc. I'm sure it'll bear more fruit as time goes along.

With hypnotherapy, it's focusing on aspects of me and not my ex. I know you probably think that's simple, but my brain is wired differently from yours and it's not so easy to just not think about her. I was with her for a fucking year. You don't get over that shit in a month.

I hear ya. I was with my ex for two and a half months and I'm still head-over-heels for her, despite how I'd never tell her that.