The Whining and Bitching Thread

Recovering addicts should worry less about external support and focus much more on building up an internal strength that they can rely on.

Well it just depends on the nature of the addiction. A lot of people destroy all their deep interpersonal connections whilst addicted. Obviously, no one has to forgive anyone for the drama that was caused by the addict, but it helps a lot to know people are still there for you. Also people need to respect a persons need for reformation. External support is the most highly effective tool to avoid relapse imo. Loneliness can be a huge reason for relapse.

Speaking as a former addict here, relying too heavily on external support leaves you completely open to enablism, unhealthy pity and the fragility of other people. I've been clean for 7 years so I have complete trust in my method.

Also Dazed you're weirdly conflating not relying on external support with making oneself lonely. That's dumb, I don't think you've thought that through very much.

Also Dazed you're weirdly conflating not relying on external support with making oneself lonely. That's dumb, I don't think you've thought that through very much.

I guess I was viewing it through the lens of someone who has brunt a lot of bridges, but didn't really look all that much at what you meant tbh. I agree with your sentiment overall. My personal battle with addiction was long fought and didn't really make any break throughs until I realize I was sabotaging my life. No one should rely on external support for anything though. That would be manipulative and probably the signs of someone too insecure to recover. I'm just saying that you shouldn't marginalize the important of external support if it's the right kind of support. For me, it got to the point where my GF was monitoring my bank statements, without my knowledge, to check if I was withdrawing inordinate sums of money (she has since told me, 3 years, later she would have left if she noticed anything). I was lucky enough to have the people to really reveal what was the good in me and also not put up with any of my bullshit. In the same token I had to self-immolate a lot of friendships to get rid of the bullshit.

Whatever works for someone works I suppose. I just see too many people around me (currently a very good friend of mine) relying too much on those around them and then when those people aren't able to be there for them as much as they feel they need, they relapse and spiral.

I personally didn't make any progress until I decided to do away with self-pity (a weapon of mass destruction if ever there was one) and make myself the greatest support I could ever fall back on when times got tough. That doesn't mean I was alone though, but what it did was prepare me for when I would or might be alone, because structuring your recovery on the assumption that people will always be around is naive and dangerous imo.

For me, it got to the point where my GF was monitoring my bank statements, without my knowledge, to check if I was withdrawing inordinate sums of money (she has since told me, 3 years, later she would have left if she noticed anything). I was lucky enough to have the people to really reveal what was the good in me and also not put up with any of my bullshit.

Yes but the point I took from this is that you did it yourself without even knowing this threat (and therefore motivation) existed.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
Whatever works for someone works I suppose. I just see too many people around me (currently a very good friend of mine) relying too much on those around them and then when those people aren't able to be there for them as much as they feel they need, they relapse and spiral.

I personally didn't make any progress until I decided to do away with self-pity (a weapon of mass destruction if ever there was one) and make myself the greatest support I could ever fall back on when times got tough. That doesn't mean I was alone though, but what it did was prepare me for when I would or might be alone, because structuring your recovery on the assumption that people will always be around is naive and dangerous imo.

Yes but the point I took from this is that you did it yourself without even knowing this threat (and therefore motivation) existed.

I agree with all this. I think there's a fine line between support and being overly dependent. I guess I should have clarified that by support, I meant something closer to tough love not pity and coddling.

I agree with all this. I think there's a fine line between support and being overly dependent. I guess I should have clarified that by support, I meant something closer to tough love not pity and coddling.

I think you and zabu misunderstood what I said (seemed like a hair-trigger reaction) which wasn't about having no external support but rather changing your focus on the internal. If you strengthen yourself, external support becomes much more beneficial because you require less from people around you, there's less strain on them in general.

I think we really do live in societies that discourages individual internal self-empowerment.

YouTube recently flagged Wardruna as potentially offensive... What the fuck?

"In response to user reports, we have disabled some features, such as comments, sharing, and suggested videos, because this video contains content that may be inappropriate or offensive to some audiences."

*saunters over to Arghoslent - Flogging the Cargo* No such warning. Hilariously broken system.

Reactions: Dak
Woke up this morning with that pre-flu rancid taste in the back of my throat and a creeping soreness. :rolleyes:
I was fine until yesterday afternoon, then the chills came, followed by gradual leg cramps. After maybe a half hour a sleep at best I woke up with a massive pressure in my lower back and no position would sooth it. Finally at like 5:30 I took a 600mg Ibuprofen which actually did the trick. I slept for about an hour and didn't feel no pain at all. Even got a good workout in. Alas, once early evening came around, so did the cramps and chills and now here I am. Sorta drunk mind you so the headache in the AM will be all my fault but what can you do?

Everywhere around here is flooded today after 2-3 days of heavy rain and more on the way. Went to work this morning, or I should say I tried to. Made it most of the way there before running into a flooded out road in the dark which is fucking scary. Stopped, backed up and got turned around. Came home. Oh well, three day weekend. Fuck it.

Last night I went to visit my uncle in the hospital. He’s 80 years old and his wife is about 15 years younger than him. Now, I’ve felt he was going for awhile because he’d reflect over things and start crying randomly. He’ll also show up at the house unannounced and tell stories and cry randomly. Anyways, they took him in because they thought he had the flu which is really dangerous right now especially for old people and really young kids.

The doctor said he’s getting better, but he’s so damn confused. He forgot my name, which is the same name as his mother. Even then he had to think about it. He was playing with a towel they gave him and putting it on top of his head and stuff. Me my sister and his wife were there and he was saying random things like, “ you ladies are the three musketeers and I will protect you!”

I really think there’s something wrong with his mind. The doctor said his heart and lungs are good. But she’s waiting for the neurologist. He also has trouble hearing. Hes had this issue from when he was in his late 50’s. You have to yell when talking to him so that he can hear. I think it’s démentis he has. I looked up dementia and hearing loss and apparently there’s a link to that.

“"Those who have investigated the relationship between hearing loss and dementia suggest that a common pathology may cause both conditions or that the strain of decoding sounds over the years may overwhelm the brains of people with hearing loss, leaving them more vulnerable to dementia."

I just don’t want to get old. His wife isn’t too well herself so he might just need to go to the nursing home.