The Whining and Bitching Thread

At least there's a solution. I've spent at least a little time debating between permanent hearing and vision loss and came down firmly as preferring hearing loss.

Not sure which way I'd go on this. I did a pretty good job of damaging my hearing as a kid, and consequently have tinnitus and trouble hearing people speak when there's background noise. If I had to choose between deafness or blindness, I think I'd prefer to go with blindness so that I could still play music, but then I remember I wouldn't be able to read.

My reading speed >>>>>>>>> audible reading speed. Highly inefficient. Plus most of what I read isn't in books, and I don't read much in the way of "popular" books either.

Eck, I have terrible eye sight myself and grapple with the fact that I’ll be wearing glasses for the rest of my life. However, I’ve gotten used to glasses though sometimes I do get headaches from them. As bad as my eye sight is, though, i can’t imagine not having it. Losing either (hearing or eyesight) is basically a type of hell I wouldn’t even wish on my worse enemies.

Literally not being able to see well is my biggest insecurity. I see fine with my glasses, but without them? Forget it. If I lose my glasses during some post apocalypse, I’m done for.

@Satanstoenail i feel like I’ve read something about your eyes before. Is it a retina issue that happened? Or did you notice something was off?

Trying to get a shiny Makuhita for the fighting-type event in Pokemon Go. I got a shiny Meditite but no Makuhita.

Need it before the 14th cause the odds for a shiny shoot up from 1/400 to 1/4,000.

I was thinking more in terms of total loss than gradual/partial.
I think I’d probably be dead within six months if I totally lost either.

Eck, I have terrible eye sight myself and grapple with the fact that I’ll be wearing glasses for the rest of my life. However, I’ve gotten used to glasses though sometimes I do get headaches from them. As bad as my eye sight is, though, i can’t imagine not having it. Losing either (hearing or eyesight) is basically a type of hell I wouldn’t even wish on my worse enemies.

Literally not being able to see well is my biggest insecurity. I see fine with my glasses, but without them? Forget it. If I lose my glasses during some post apocalypse, I’m done for.

@Satanstoenail i feel like I’ve read something about your eyes before. Is it a retina issue that happened? Or did you notice something was off?
It’s a cataract. I first noticed that I was relying more on my left eye when reading and my eyes weren’t working ‘in stereo’ as well. Got prescribed glasses that didn’t work, went back a year later and diagnosed with a cataract.

If I had to pick between losing my hearing or eyesight I'd pick eyesight every time tbh. What about all yall

Damn that's morbid. Guess I'm just more cantankerous? Although losing my sight completely would give pause.......
I think I’m just being realistic, I imagine I’d fall into the deepest depression ever and turn to whatever substances I could get my hands on to numb the reality of my situation until my body inevitably gave up.

I have basically zero percent job satisfaction right now. I get paid a shit ton of money to essentially sit around and do nothing (honestly someone in the world's dream job tbh). I guess because my job is more project based, it isn't unexpected to have lulls in activity but I swear the last 6 months I've had to start asking people if they need help with things because of the lack of work to do or the degree of ease at which I can complete work. I have to ask to be assigned to projects so I don't feel like a fucking freeloader just browsing Wikipedia or shitposting here. I don't feel challenged or enriched at all. Rumor mill says that at some point I'm going to be pushed into a developer (programmer) role but I'm not really optimistic about it. I don't see any of the developers retiring anytime soon and the youngest developer is 50 or so years old. We have a sizable project about to start soon so I'm sure I'll be really busy with that until it's over but even then I don't feel challenged. I know I'm somewhat proficient at my job because I find system defects all the time that need to be fixed but I never feel like I'm pulling my own weight at all. I am the third most knowledgeable person about this administration system in a company of 1,000+ people so I have job security/knowledge power and could feasibly stay in this role for a long time but this isn't what I want to do for even 5 more years.

I've thought about:
  • going back to school
  • making a complete career change and learning a trade of some kind (which would involve #1)
  • joining the military (I have one more year to join the Army and until I'm 39 to join the USAF so I have some time to make a decision on this but not much time. I would also have to drop 40 more pounds based on my height but I could probably get a waiver if I drop half that)
  • finding a job at a different company (although I hate interviews enough so shy away from this right now)
  • transferring to a different department in the company (although I imagine once I learn how to do THAT job, I will become bored again)
At least when I worked in a call center, I didn't have time to be bored. I'm just not sure what to do. I am satisfied about everything else in my life other than this (and the fact that I want to get married and have kids because the urge to have kids intensifies as I get older but I can't control that at all unfortunately) and has me really feeling down lately. I don't look forward to going to work at all anymore. I don't dread going to work either, but it's just a constant state of complacency because of the work environment and political environment within work.

All that money for schooling to be bitching about a job I don't like. Fuck this.

Last edited: