The Whining and Bitching Thread

*multifuckheadism

I took him off ignore because people keep responding to him for some reason and I’m sick of reading posts that don’t make sense

Welp, Snuggles escaped. I was always warned they're escape artists but I had nearly every ventilation hole taped over. No idea how the hell he got out, went to feed him today and wasnt in there. My forums said to put wet towels on the ground to attract him but my hopes are low. He's only about 5 inches long.

I just really had to tell someone guys I feel garbage about it. Here's Snuggles. Thanks for listening.

38391385-1069419209880786-1608565849076006912-n.jpg

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Very low maintenance, is a huge draw. And most people in this hobby view these creatures more as specimens or wards than pets, we tend to have a medium to large size collection referred to by scientific names. That doesn't make it any less troublesome if one dies or escapes though.

This particular subspecies scolopendra polymorpha is possibly the most docile of the large centipedes. Still haven't found him.

Do you actually keep live specimens or do you pin the dead?

neither, i just catch them overnight, identify them and let them go for the most part. although i do have a dead death’s head hawkmoth (or sphinx i think they’re called in the US) specimen, and in the past i have ‘raised’ an elephant hawkmoth caterpillar til it pupated and emerged into an adult.

neither, i just catch them overnight, identify them and let them go for the most part. although i do have a dead death’s head hawkmoth (or sphinx i think they’re called in the US) specimen, and in the past i have ‘raised’ an elephant hawkmoth caterpillar til it pupated and emerged into an adult.

I have a pinned deaths head, never had the pleasure of seeing them alive. Fuckin huge though! My one attempt at raising was a tobacco hornworm too big for my lizard to eat, he unfortunately didn't make it. Wings came out all fucked up.

i've never seen a live one either, they're ultra rare immigrants here. here's some of the biggest moths i have seen (not my photos unfortunately, i've lost most of mine):
3497721_58cbf60e.jpg

poplar hawk-moth (wingspan up to 90mm) - garden regular

35807413021-red-underwing-catocala-nupta.jpg

french red underwing (wingspan up to 80mm) - just one, noticed it perched on the wall while playing ping pong in france

maxresdefault.jpg

eyed hawk-moth (wingspan up to 80mm) - caught in a friend's garden

28841651726-oak-eggar-lasiocampa-quercus.jpg

oak eggar (wingspan up to 75mm) - in a campsite restroom in france

23000.gillian_simpson.1440851651.jpg

old lady (wingspan up to 65mm) - garden regular

swallowtailmothDSC_0022.jpg

swallowtail moth (wingspan up to 50mm) - garden regular

and as a bonus, here's a few monsters we do get here which i've never seen but always wanted to:
21475567801_7db181d4f4_o.jpg

death's head hawk-moth (wingspan up to 120mm) - had to start with this motherfucker, which aside from looking terrifying also a) squeaks and b) when it raids bee nests for honey the bees part for it like it's some kind of insect god

ConvolvulusHawkFemail2-RP.jpg

convolvulus hawk-moth (wingspan up to 120mm)

edf022d6-54c2-400f-b47d-c1058e5282d7.jpg

privet hawk-moth (wingspan up to 120mm)

Oleander%20Hawk-moth_Paul%20Parsons%20%284%29.jpg

oleander hawk-moth (wingspan up to 130mm)

Reactions: Carpe Mortem