The wierdest band u like?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
just wondering what is the wierdest band you like? i dont mean who dresses, lyrics, songs are wierd but more as in a band you like that is completely opposite to opeth, um like if u said you liked slipknot or linkin park :cry: which i hope no one says.

hmn, i dont know, but i suppose Soulwax are quite good.

i hope to see some replies that make us go :eek: and :eek: .

I'm generally amused by the faces ppl make when they find out that I like 80's pop (New Order, Madonna, Cindy Lauper type stuff). They're like "You listen to Obituary! How can you like this 80's crap?!"

Cool topic. Hmmmm... I don't know if this counts but I love the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange. Thats probably the weirdest non-metal cd that I own. All of the electronic stuff on their by Walter Carlos is fucking weird and can't really be compared to anything, and I love it. Walter Carlos is one of the very few people that can make purely electonic music and I'll like it.

If you want me to name an actual band I guess I'll have to go with Chroma Key(Kevin Moore's solo project). That's pretty far from Opeth.

n.p. Katatonia -- Teargas

Dunno, but I find not too many fans of Juice Leskinen (to you non-Finns, I don't care to explain) who like Opeth, apart from myself.

So, Hearse, Orchid and other Finns, do you like Juice? Vaasankin veri vapisee... ;)

-Villain

Weirdest Bands I like? hmmm....

- Arcturus
- Pan-Thy-Monium
- SBB (an old Polish vintage progressive rock group)
- Steve Riech (minimalist music.. clapping for 10 minutes, banging on a woodblock for 13 minutes, sampling people talking for 18 minutes, etc.)
- Mr. Bungle
- Ornette Coleman, James Blood Ulmer (and other 'free-jazz')
- Shostakovich (20th centuer Russian composer obssesed with dissonance)
- King Crimson, Robert Fripp's solo work
- Steve Vai (well, some people I knew said that 'he's so weird', but I'm like, it's normal for me!)
- Zappa (before I forget!)
- Eric Satie (some of his more sporadic piano works make absolutley no sense to me)

...Man, I listen to so much weird stuff!

Originally posted by gotham
Stereolab and Sigur Ros

Sigur Ros are def diff from Opeth. Good call! I completely forgot about them. Along the same lines I listen to:
Godspeed You Black Emperor and One Speed Bike.

Similar in a way to Do Make Say Think. More techno-ish type sounds than Sigur Ros and faster paced songs...hard to describe, can't think of the right words. My best suggestion is to find some Mp3's listen and form your opinion from there. sorry I can't be more help.

Ohhhh... Tom Waits, definitely. The first time I heard his live stuff, I coined the term (I think I did, anyway) Deathmetal Folk. His voice is so low and gravelly, it's a safe bet that he single-handedly supported at least one tobacco giant. His music is actually all over, a lot of movies have used it (Twelve Monkeys, Dead Man Walking (2 tracks), and Pollock (end titles) - to name a few).. and he acts as well. He was Renfield in Bram Stoker's Dracula, had a big part in Short Cuts, Down by Law.. a little part in The Outsiders, and an uncredited cameo in Gilliam's Fisher King (the guy in the wheelchair)..

He's completely unique, and his twisted-dixieland-folktale lyrics hook me every time.

Other than him..
Aphex Twin is pretty "non-Opeth."
Afro Celt Sound System (look for it!)
Delerium
Massive Attack
Björk
Queen remains one of my all-time favourite bands

For stuff that's not at all like Opeth.. that's all I can think of at the moment.. I'll check out your "Weirdest bands" if you check out mine... :D

P.S. - Don Ross!

The first thing that comes to mind is Gyorgy Ligeti (modern composer, you may know him from the 2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack); also Current 93 (I'm new to this kind of music, and after hearing Current 93 I definitely want more !)... Magma too.

Cheers to Raven777 ! Shostakovich, Mr. Bungle, Ornette Coleman and Arcturus do rule ! Oh, if you think Shostakovich is the weird one in dissonances, check out Schoenberg ! That is wicked !

-------------------------------
NP: Marduk - Those of the Unlight

I love interesting electronic music. Coil are one of my favorites, they are very wierd. They are an offshoot of Throbbing Gristle and Psychick TV, very prolific also. I think I have about 30 or so cds of theirs.
I also really like Aphex Twin .Chemical Brothers and the Orb.
I'm sure to get a lot of grief for this, Metemorphisis is my favorite Ulver.
:eek:
I also am a big pop fan. Game Theory/Loud Family, Matthew Sweet, Merrymakers, Fountains of Wayne, ect.
Lastly, I (like Dan Swano, check out his home page) love female country pop!:eek:

i love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Einsturzende Neubauten are a very weird and awesome group, Dead Can Dance, Nusrat Fateh ali Khan, lots of weird and interesting classical movie ST like mentioned earlier i recently got into the Clockwork Orange one, the Requim for a Dream one, just about any Jerry Goldsmith or Danny Elfman one, Native American drumming, Miles Davis, lots of bands on the Projekt record label and so on and so forth, i better stop now.
later
Jay

Tom Waits, Dead Can Dance, Kristin Hersh, This Mortal Coil, Catpower, Liz Phair, Transglobal Underground, Ravi Shankar, Adana, Blue Grassy Knoll, Seely, Laika, The Necks, PJ, Natacha Atlas, Nomos the list goes on...

Depeche Mode without a doubt. They are one of my favorite bands and they are way far away from metal. I like lots of non-metal music like U2, The Cure, Sarah Mclachlan, PJ Harvey, etc, but Depeche I like way more. They are killer.