Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Johnny Touch - Black Company
Grave - Obsessed
Loudness - Clockwork Toy
Kreator - Mental Slavery
Acid Bath - Tranquilized
Saint Vitus - Dependence

Warning - Footprints 10/10
The problem with starting a playlist off with a song from this album is that now I just want the rest of this playlist to be said album. Perfect.

Fueled by Fire - Forsaken Deity 6/10

A song about man's dependence on faith in religion or something akin to religion. I assume there will be a few of these takes on the theme in the round. Musically not anything that resonates with me, but it's halfway decent.

Rigor Mortis - Speedwhore 6/10

Drugs are bad, m'kay.

Dark Angel - Pain's Invention, Madness 5/10

Definitely not a favourite album of mine. This is not the Dark Angel I love.

Cannibal Corpse - Addicted to Vaginal Skin 4/10

I knew someone would submit this, so fucking cliche. The music sounds so dated and cheesy too, I remember this being better.

Dødheimsgard - The Snuff Dreams Are Made Of 6.5/10

I was going to submit something by Dødheimsgard myself, glad I didn't because this is a decent choice. Weird shit.

Impaled Nazarene - The Horny and the Horned 7/10

Utter fucking musical mastery, except that the theme doesn't quite come through strong enough for my comfort. I assume it's supposed to demonstrate dependence on faith in Satan? Sorry, I don't quite see it.

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger 7.5/10

Vampirism at it's finest. Soul... Cold.

Johnny Touch - Black Company 7.5/10

Dependence upon a human sacrifice for immortality? Vampirism? I guess I'll bite.
I love this band.

Grave - Obsessed 7/10

Haven't heard this in ages. More along the lines of dependence on a religious faith.

Loudness - Clockwork Toy 5/10

Reading the lyrics multiple times I can't quite seem to figure out how it's thematic, other people's dependency on routine and social norms and the singer is rebelling against that? I understand they're not native speakers of the English language, but still a little confused.

Kreator - Mental Slavery 7/10

I could almost imagine this as a song specifically about society's dependency on an overbearing nanny state government. Cool.

Acid Bath - Tranquilized 6.5/10

It's been ages, I don't like it as much as I remember back when I listened to a lot of sludge. Never was a huge fan of Dax's clean vocals anyway. But I wouldn't trust many other bands to nail the drug crutch theme as good as these guys did.

Saint Vitus - Dependence 7.5/10

Talk about specific. Great tune as usual. Hail Vitus.

Warning - Footprints - 8/10
Not giving it a perfect score, but it is a super good song

Fueled by Fire - Forsaken Deity - 7/10
Vocals surprised me. I'm sure they will grow on me. First taste of this band and I was surprised.

Rigor Mortis - Speedwhore - 7/10
First taste of this band I hear so much about. Surprised that this is song is speed metalish. Gives off a punk vibe as well

Dark Angel - Pain's Invention, Madness - 4/10
I don't like this era of Dark Angel

Cannibal Corpse - Addicted to Vaginal Skin - 8/10
Classic Corpse

Dødheimsgard - The Snuff Dreams Are Made Of - 3/10
The fuck? Why do the drums sound like a helicopter?

Impaled Nazarene - The Horny and the Horned - 6/10
I'm sure there's better stuff from this band out there. First time I've checked them out

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger - 7/10

Johnny Touch - Black Company - 6/10
Ruins the flow of the last few songs. Is this band part of the NWOBHM?
This song got better as it went on

Grave - Obsessed - 8/10
Need more from this band

Loudness - Clockwork Toy - 6/10
First for this band too

Kreator - Mental Slavery - 7/10
This is off my favorite Kreator album. Not one of the super good cuts, but decent.

Acid Bath - Tranquilized - 8/10
One of the best tracks of that particular album

Saint Vitus - Dependence - 6/10
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz for a while but not bad overall

Gonna rate tonight or tomorrow.

Hey @Lunella come join, this is the rating stage, so give a score to each song on the playlist, then when the winner is declared he/she will pick a theme and you submit a song via pm

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Warning – Footprints

Didn’t like Warning the last time I heard them (prolly a decade ago), liked this song a lot now. Enjoy your victory, in-crowd. 8/10.

Fueled by Fire - Forsaken Deity

Good but not great, their songwriting abilities have definitely improved over the years. 6/10.

Rigor Mortis – Speedwhore

Average, like most Rigor Mortis. Don’t understand the hype. 4/10.

Dark Angel - Pain's Invention, Madness

I hated this album for years, like I thought it was one of the worst things ever recorded, but it’s grown on me in a huge way. Even though the 246 riffs and all that aren’t individually always the most interesting, how relentless they are in just dropping them one after the next until it becomes a giant blur over the DSM-IV equivalent to medical textbook goregrind lyrics is super-effective. Even Rinehart’s awkward, whiny performance sounds so fitting. 8/10.

Cannibal Corpse - Addicted to Vaginal Skin

Decent, very thrashy and derivative but still a few good riffs, although mostly towards the beginning. Abrupt ending, felt too short and too long simultaneously, pretty boring actually. 4/10.

Dødheimsgard - The Snuff Dreams Are Made Of

Lol, a song about chewing tobacco? I like the slower part three minutes in, reminds me of Minas Tirith (a much better Norwegian band). I’ll give it a 7/10 just for that part.

Impaled Nazarene - The Horny and the Horned

Super bland riffs, thankfully it at least has aggression. 4/10.

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

This one feels shoehorned to me, vampires may have certain dependences but this song doesn’t really make it about that. Classic song but I’d like to know specifically how it fits. 4/10.

Johnny Touch - Black Company

Holy FUCK that is some great riffing at the start. Like damn I didn’t know new bands could right riffs like that. Of course after one album they’ve already stopped per Metallum, it always seems to work out this way. Whole song was awesome, definitely checking this album out. Unfortunately, doesn’t seem thematic to me, dependence should be on-going, not a single sacrifice for eternal life or whatever this is about. 7/10.

Grave – Obsessed

Chug chug chug chug. Not bad, but I’m increasingly becoming sick of OSSDM. 4/10.

Loudness - Clockwork Toy

Not a big Loudness fan. Pretty bland Priest-y song with poor vocal lines. Not thematic either, seems to be about resisting control, not dependence. 3/10.

Kreator - Mental Slavery

One of the better songs on the album, for as little as that is worth. Nice sound, but too long and basic. 4/10.

Acid Bath – Tranquilized

Great stuff. 7/10.

Saint Vitus – Dependence

Album put me to sleep the first time I heard it, not much better now. 3/10.

@arg2
This seems a bit confusing, but I'd like to give it a try. Do you keep the OP's rules or do people just post in the thread to whoever wins and keep the scores in the thread without the messaging?

Whoever's submission gets the highest ratings chooses the theme for the next round and then people submit songs to that user and then a playlist is created and the rest of us rate the song based on how thematic it is (ie lyrics mostly but abstract or subjective interpretations are also permissible) and so on and so forth.