Crypt of Kerberos - Stormbringer
Wolfbane - Elric of Melniboné
Stormbringer - Tales of the White Wolf
At the Gates - City of Screaming Statues
Diamond Head - Borrowed Time
Sacramentum - Overlord
Domine - The Freedom Flight
Apollo Ra - Bane of the Black Sword

If you don't know Moorcock's stories and want to validate whether or not a song is themed properly, send me a PM and I will help you figure it out.

Mekong Delta - Heroes Grief 6.5/10
Don't have much to say. Pretty good. Perhaps a bit restrained.

Skelator - Elric The Dragon Prince 7.5/10

Modern USPM. Probably not the best track from this particular record, but I still really like it, complete with über sing-along chorus.

Crypt Of Kerberos - Stormbringer 7/10

I don't believe I've ever heard this CD, thought maybe it was a compilation of old material but the fact that they don't sound as much like Bolt Thrower here makes me think it's an actual studio album. I need to get on this, killer stuff.

Wolfbane - Elric Of Melniboné 8/10

It oozes Sabbathian metal magic. I need this shit!

Stormbringer - Tales Of The White Wolf 8/10

Wow okay, never heard of this but it kicks ass massively.

At The Gates - City Of Screaming Statues 8.5/10

Timeless death metal classic, though I'm a little burnt out on it. Tortured vocals!

Diamond Head - Borrowed Time 7.5/10

I own this album but I rarely listen to it. I'd forgotten how charming and classic it sounds. They weren't afraid to be moderate with overtones of emotion that don't always work for other bands. Ballsy.

Sacramentum - Overlord 6/10

I'd never heard this album, unfortunately it didn't do a whole lot for me. Some cool melodic guitar work though at around halfway.

Domine - The Freedom Flight 8/10

I LOVE this album and almost submitted something from it myself. Or did I?

Apollo Ra - Bane Of The Black Sword 8.5/10

Another unknown to me, great! This fucking ruled too. Cheers.

Last edited:
Mekong Delta - Heroes Grief: The great thing about these guys isn't so much the riffs themselves, as the way the vocals interact with the guitar work. Really fucking solid. 9/10

Skelator - Elric the Dragon Prince: I actually literally drifted off during the lullaby-like intro, then lolled myself awake when the cheesy vocals kicked in. I drifted off again after that. 5/10

Crypt of Kerberos – Stormbringer: Pretty good shit. The riffs are a little repetitive for my liking, but it's made up for by some neat lead work and a dark atmosphere. Whoever submitted this obviously has pretty good taste, so I'm guessing they'd have submitted something even better had the theme been a little less restrictive. 8/10

Wolfbane - Elric of Melniboné: Nothing radical here, but much better than your average NWOBHM band. Bluesy bass, tasteful vocals, great solos. 8.5/10

Stormbringer - Tales of the White Wolf: I doubt if there are any riffs on this track I haven't heard on some other track by some other band that sounds exactly the same. Nothing special. +1 because the solo was cool again. 7/10

At the Gates - City of Screaming Statues: I've been on a real At The Gates kick recently, so that disposes me unfairly in this track's favour, but fuck it. Flawless music, and one of my favourite song titles too. If the lyrics reference Moorcock, I don't recognise the story, but whatever. 10/10

Diamond Head - Borrowed Time: Cool song – what I like about Diamond Head is that they're clearly a metal band, but they're kind of laid back at the same time. Great music to chill to. Poor rating because such an obvious pick. 4/10

Sacramentum – Overlord: Took me a little while for this track to begin to click, but it's pretty cool I guess. Too much melody for my liking, but some tasty riffage at points. 8/10

Domine - The Freedom Flight: Wow these guys really enjoy their Moorcock. I feel roughly the same way about it as I did about Stormbringer. 6/10

Apollo Ra - Bane of the Black Sword: The drums sound like they were sampled off a Guns N' Roses album, and the vocals/riffing reminds me a bit of Power Metal era Pantera... nevertheless good shit. I want this. 9/10

I decided to list some more bands with songs about Michael Moorcock's stories that didn't make it onto the playlist.

Ackros
Assedium
Atlantis
Black Cathedral
Black Pyramid
Blacksword
Cauldron Born
Cirith Ungol
Cremator
Dark Moor
Dark Star
Darking
Hawkmoonmor
Heroic Flame
Last Empire
Mournblade
Nightcrawler
Norselaw
Osirion
Salem's Lot
Steel Trident
Tygers of Pan Tang
Wicked Angel
Validor

I haven't even heard some of these, and I intend to try to listen to all of them soon.

Reactions: CiG
I decided to list some more bands with songs about Michael Moorcock's stories that didn't make it onto the playlist.

Ackros
Assedium
Atlantis
Black Cathedral
Black Pyramid
Blacksword
Cauldron Born
Cirith Ungol
Cremator
Dark Moor
Dark Star
Darking
Hawkmoonmor
Heroic Flame
Last Empire
Mournblade
Nightcrawler
Norselaw
Osirion
Salem's Lot
Steel Trident
Tygers of Pan Tang
Wicked Angel
Validor

I haven't even heard some of these, and I intend to try to listen to all of them soon.

Blind Guardian have several Moorcock-themed songs. I know of Damned for All Time, Fast to Madness and Quest for Tanelorn, and I'm not that familiar with their discography past the first three albums or so.