Themed Mixtape Game

Mekong Delta - Heroes Grief – 10/10

Definitely one of my favorite Mekong Delta songs. I love the atmosphere behind this, super distorted and ugly bass starting things, then that angular Sabbathy riff and dismal wailing chorus, and as far as I’m concerned the gradual build up in the second half with the eerie 6/4 march and backing keyboards beat the Norwegian black metal bands to the punch by several years. Pretty much everything on their first three albums takes an unusual and original take on classic metal, but this in particular is one of those songs that does its own thing and doesn’t give a shit.

Skelator - Elric the Dragon Prince – 8/10

I’m such a cheapass because I mostly just listen to their early album they have for free download. This sounds like a completely different band, but still quite good. Great singer, really thick but vintage sounding guitars, thoughtful songwriting, the way retro metal should be.

Crypt of Kerberos – Stormbringer – 5/10

Never got into this album. This song is just kind of dull to me, the riffs go through different moods but are individually too rudimentary to be interesting. Solo was the only good part.

Wolfbane - Elric of Melniboné – 7/10

Never heard of these guys, surprisingly good stuff and kinda a rare style for the NWOBHM. Almost a melodic non-doom Saint Vitus kind of vibe here, pretty bleak and moody.

Stormbringer - Tales of the White Wolf – 8/10

I’ve listened to the Stealer of Souls demo a number of times (and never liked it much) and this doesn’t sound anything like it, at first I thought this was another band and a newer one. Clean, heavy, speedy, pretty simple but damn this has really good energy.

At the Gates - City of Screaming Statues – 9/10

One of the proggiest songs from the album and one of my favorites, full of chill-inducing riffage.

Diamond Head - Borrowed Time – 6/10

Solid song that I’ve always wanted to love. I think the slick production and synths work well here, and no doubt Sean Harris had a perfectly expressive voice for this kind of music, but the arrangement is just too dull. Unrelated and not affecting the rating, but I never noticed before how sloppy the drumming was on this, lol.

Sacramentum – Overlord – 8/10

These guys have more than one album? Cool. Sounds pretty damn solid on first impression actually, real riffs all the way through and the production while immaculate still sounds really dark and heavy. The instrumental passage is really making it for me, bumping it up an extra point on account of that. Liking this much more than anything from the first album.

Domine - The Freedom Flight – 5/10

The more I actually hear of Italian power metal, the more I realize there are far flowerier (AutoCorrect didn’t complain about this? amazing) countries out there. Solid speedy stuff with an admittedly hilarious chorus. Not special enough and too long to get anything more than an average rating though.

Apollo Ra - Bane of the Black Sword – 9/10

Very happy to see these guys here, that intro/chorus melodic riff is just so pleasing and the verses have that crunch and sneer that gives me a big 80s Savatage chubby. One of my favorites on this album, and because I hadn’t even thought about them for the theme I’ll add a bonus point because it’s a really great song anyways.

Great playlist, definitely one of the best.

Sacramentum have 2 albums other than FafTS. You actually might like The Coming of Chaos as it's pretty much a melodic death/thrash album from what I remember and it sounds pretty much nothing like FafTS.

Mekong Delta - Heroes Grief 5/10

Skelator - Elric the Dragon Prince 7/10

Fuck off haters. Skelator rules.

Crypt of Kerberos – Stormbringer 7/10

Holy shit it's been a while since I blasted this. This is how you do Swedish death metal. None of that buzzsaw Entomed bullshit. You get really weird.

Wolfbane - Elric of Melniboné 8/10

I forgot that I owned this album. Shit, this is right up my alley. I definitely need to revisit it.

Stormbringer - Tales of the White Wolf 9/10

What the fuck is this? Unheard of epic metal from bullshit Rockford, IL? This shit is just absolutely awesome.

At the Gates - City of Screaming Statues 8.5/10

Only Alf Svensson is real! This is really the only AtG that I really need and hearing this reminded me why it's such a pinnacle of the genre.

Diamond Head - Borrowed Time 9/10

I admit it, I've only ever heard Am I Evil by this band. I know, shame on me. This is everything I want in my music these days. Excellent vocals, delicious guitars with damn near perfect distortion, and that fucking artwork. Holy shit.

Sacramentum – Overlord 6/10

Not bad, but ultimately pretty forgettable. I'm sticking with Far Away from the Sun.

Domine - The Freedom Flight 7/10

Not sure I get all the hate here, this is fucking awesome power metal. Fuck off haters.

Apollo Ra - Bane of the Black Sword 8.5/10

Woah, dat first fucking riff. I could hear that for days. Seriously, this is awesome.

Slaughter are one of the few exceptions to that rule. Same with early Gehennah. I actually still quite like early Dismember, but I find the whole style inferior compared to their Finnish neighbors.

Very happy to see these guys here, that intro/chorus melodic riff is just so pleasing and the verses have that crunch and sneer that gives me a big 80s Savatage chubby. One of my favorites on this album, and because I hadn’t even thought about them for the theme I’ll add a bonus point because it’s a really great song anyways.

Great playlist, definitely one of the best.

Coincidentally, the first time I listened to Hall of the Mountain King was a bit of time after Ra Pariah. First Savatage album I ever listened to.

Mekong Delta - Heroes Grief
the vocal line in the verses seems particularly forced to me, and while the rest is fine i'd like it to go somewhere rather than just disappearing into a long, barely related outro. said outro is also fine but eerie soundscapes aren't something i generally get excited about. 6/10

Skelator - Elric the Dragon Prince

this was my first choice pick (which i didn't get). 8/10

Crypt of Kerberos - Stormbringer

sup david. the first section is clearly the best, builds beautifully and the sense of melody reminds me a little of eucharist. around the 2 minute mark it starts to become more traditional swedish fare, and the solo is a bit wanky. 7.5/10

Wolfbane - Elric of Melniboné

one of my picks. would benefit from clearer production but it's classy sabbath worship regardless, not aiming high but it hits the spot. lazily awesome musicianship in a pagan altar kinda way. 8/10

Stormbringer - Tales of the White Wolf

meat and potatoes in some ways, but man what a sweet chorus. 7.5/10

At the Gates - City of Screaming Statues

NOT one of my picks but i knew you'd fall into this trap mwwhehehee. this is the most obvious thing here, but also underrated in the context of that album so i'll allow it. not as good out of context as it culminates the album's psychological journey beautifully, but it's still an instant 10. 10/10

Diamond Head - Borrowed Time

one of my picks. in places it's a bit overwrought and trying too hard for atmosphere, but retains enough of what makes peak diamond head so great (most notably the incredible vocals and some really tense, slippery melodies). it helps that the production owns and they keep returning to the chills-inducing verse. fucking amazing ending too. 8.5/10

Sacramentum - Overlord

also NOT one of my picks. i like post-FAFTS sacramentum, the middle album's fun too. the section at 1:33ish (and again in the last 20 secs), which is the best part of the song along with the subsequent solo, sounds exactly like the debut actually. i mean, this obviously doesn't overwhelm with feeling in the way that FAFTS does, but i'll take it. 8/10

Domine - The Freedom Flight
slightly surprised pompey shat on the chorus as there's a touch of the adramelch about how it concludes (maybe it's just the vocal timbre), although yea it's cheesier and pretty awkward. still a fun tune. 7.5/10

Apollo Ra - Bane of the Black Sword

one of my picks. meh verse, ace everything else. best chorus of the playlist. 8/10

definitely one of the most coherent and consistent playlists for me. reviews are pretty lazy sry, wanted to get this done.

He's always one of the last to rate, I'm sure his ratings will be in soon.

This is the lowest score I've ever given to my own pick and the only time I submitted a song I don't really like. It's doing quite well, though.