Themed Mixtape Game

You're dodging, as usual. Here is what you said:

"I'm mostly of the opinion that songs focusing the Crusades and other important parts of Christian history are as relevant as Bible stories, especially because the Crusades actually happened."

That would imply that the reality of a subject has bearing in your mind on the relevance of a subject, even though you clearly acknowledge that you consider the subject fictitious to begin with, which would seemingly make it a moot point. The theme is Christianity, not Christian history. By emphasizing the actual-happening-ness of the Crusades as reason why it is as relevant as "Bible stories" (something I didn't explicitly mention btw; there's more to any religion than its mythos), you are saying that the Crusades are more topical BECAUSE they happened.

Every theme all these rules lawyers come out and stake their claim on the most literal interpretation of the theme possible, downrating anything that is creatively on theme.

I mean if you want machine generated on theme songs why have humans play this game at all? Just do a search on metallum for the lyrical theme you want.

Let people interpret things creatively.

I have no issue with creative picks, but if someone submits a song that is primarily about human war, hedonism, the occult, etc, but justifies it because it makes brief mention of something about Christianity or exists in a time during which Christianity was dominant (aka Western civilization for nearly two millennia), that's not creative. Similarly, when someone sees a theme about weather disasters and thinks "Hey, what's that one really popular song with 'Tornado' in its name?", that's not creative. If we ignore the theme component, it defeats the purpose of the game and we may as well change the rules to make the game about submitting good/interesting songs within a given musical style.

Without remembering what Graveland sounds like off the top of my head, I'd probably give it a 0/10 on enjoyability grounds regardless.

I have no issue with creative picks, but if someone submits a song that is primarily about human war, hedonism, the occult, etc, but justifies it because it makes brief mention of something about Christianity or exists in a time during which Christianity was dominant (aka Western civilization for nearly two millennia), that's not creative. Similarly, when someone sees a theme about weather disasters and thinks "Hey, what's that one really popular song with 'Tornado' in its name?", that's not creative. If we ignore the theme component, it defeats the purpose of the game and we may as well change the rules to make the game about submitting good/interesting songs within a given musical style.

How do you know their thinking was just 'duh it has tornado in the name'? Maybe they wanted a creative interpretation: inner natural disasters instead of literal natural disasters. Part of the problem with this format is people often don't explain their picks, but that also means we cannot exactly make assumptions about why they picked what they picked.

What led you to make the assumption they only picked the song because of tornado in the name? Do you assume everyone's reasoning is dumb? How about asking them why they picked it?

Also lol at those who thought I picked it and downrated it because of that.

You're dodging, as usual. Here is what you said:

"I'm mostly of the opinion that songs focusing the Crusades and other important parts of Christian history are as relevant as Bible stories, especially because the Crusades actually happened."

20161128_145830.png

Upon being asked if I know what "especially" means, I asked if you knew what "as relevant as" means and explained that I used the term especially as follows in context:

as relevant in light of a specific circumstance

As you can see, the word "especially" is synonymous with words that mean the exact same thing as what I said when you asked me what the word meant. No dodging involved.

Feel free to to stop dodging, as you so eloquently put it, and show me a credible source that shows that the phrases "as relevant as" and "more relevant than" are synonymous, as this would be an absolute requirement for me to have stated that I feel one is more relevant than the other.

I've already proven that I'm correct, so you could also just gracefully accept that you made a mistake. I won't be replying either way.

Last edited:
I acknowledge that you said "as relevant" and not "more relevant". That doesn't change my argument. It still means that you think non-reality of Christian mythos vs reality of Christian-led war has bearing on relevance to theme. I'll restate my mythological beast analogy accordingly, and with a better example:

What does "actually happening" have to do with anything? Mythological beasts never actually happened, but I would think a song specifically about the Sphinx statue located in Egypt would be less relevant than a song about sphinxes as imaginary monsters, in the context of the mythological beasts theme we had earlier.

I acknowledge that you said "as relevant" and not "more relevant". That doesn't change my argument. It still means that you think non-reality of Christian mythos vs reality of Christian-led war has bearing on relevance to theme. I'll restate my mythological beast analogy accordingly, and with a better example:

What does "actually happening" have to do with anything? Mythological beasts never actually happened, but I would think a song specifically about the Sphinx statue located in Egypt would be less relevant than a song about sphinxes as imaginary monsters, in the context of the mythological beasts theme we had earlier.

relevance to one definition or aspect of the theme is irrelevant. there are many interpretations for most themes and i encourage people to be clever with it. again if all you want is most literally relevant just do a metallum lyric search.

it's like, you've never heard of a metaphor, or read a poem or something

relevance to one definition or aspect of the theme is irrelevant. there are many interpretations for most themes and i encourage people to be clever with it. again if all you want is most literally relevant just do a metallum lyric search.

it's like, you've never heard of a metaphor, or read a poem or something

That doesn't have anything to do with my specific point with Omni.

Metaphor makes sense if the metaphor describes the topic. For example, Coroner's Mistress of Deception uses metaphor of a woman to describe a desert and the struggles of living in it. Putting aside that the song literally describes a desert as well, I would say that would be a fine choice for a desert theme, but a questionable one for a female theme.

I'll bite since you actually acknowledged that you were mistaken.

I stated multiple times during this conversation that I am referring to canonized figures and events such as saints and events that are cobsidered blessed or miraculous in church canon. I also stated that I would feel that they were appropriate if the saints, miracles and the like were discussed from a religious viewpoint.

It should be pretty easy to see why I would feel that songs about historical figures that are canonized saints or historical events that are officially recognized as miracles or blessed events are extremely relevant to the theme. A song that is about something like this but has nothing to do with the Christian canonization of it would be a bad pick.

I don't see officially canonized saints and miracles as being comparable to a statue. The statue isn't a canonized part of the mythology.

That doesn't have anything to do with my specific point with Omni.

Metaphor makes sense if the metaphor describes the topic. For example, Coroner's Mistress of Deception uses metaphor of a woman to describe a desert and the struggles of living in it. Putting aside that the song literally describes a desert as well, I would say that would be a fine choice for a desert theme, but a questionable one for a female theme.

So you're ok with using X as a metaphor for the theme, but not with using the theme as a metaphor for X? idk why

Because that's how metaphor works, particularly in metal where 99% of lyricists are far from poetic. Would you support Pantera's Ride My Rocket for a space travel theme? I mean, 'rocket' is right there in the title, not to mention that vaginas are known for their expansive properties. There are cases where I could imagine a metaphor being explored deeply enough that it could work either way (e.g. Protest the Hero's Hair-Trigger which on the surface is a sexually-tinged song about being in a destructive relationship, but is actually entirely about cigarette addiction). Throwing a metaphor into a song title and chorus and having everything else on a different subject is not sufficient though.

I've got 12 and will probably take 1 or 2 more short ones and no more. Dunno when I'll be able to make the playlist though cuz I have to actually work to make my whoring money...probably wednesday