Themed Mixtape Game

Apocrypha - Penance (Keep The Faith)
CAULDRON BORN - Crusader
Sadus - Oracle of Obmission
Messiah - The Choice
Forsaken - Via Crucis (The Way of the Cross)
Manilla Road - Divine Victim
Trouble - Run to the Light
October 31 - The Verdict
Saracen - Horsemen of the apocalypse
Icecross - Jesus Freaks
Tristitia - Christianic Indulgence
Tourniquet - Ruminating Virulence
W.A.S.P. - Babylon's Burning
Immolation - Nailed to Gold

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkk443BAOrpLkxlqcVk5AiWIeHoNfvr0h
let's keep this moving eh

Apocrypha - Penance 7.5/10
I forget who recommended this to me, but I still haven't gotten around to picking it up. Will do, though. It's good metal.

Cauldron Born - Crusader 8.5/10

Sounds much better than the full length version in my opinion, legendary metal.

Sadus - Oracle Of Omission 6/10

Absolutely ruthless when they were in their prime, not as savage as Illusions but still very good. Mind-melting intensity.

Messiah - The Choice 7/10

Charming, cheesy, moderate heavy metal. I think I know this band but I can't be sure. If this had just a bit more of a rough edge, I'd rate it higher.

Forsaken - Via Crucis 8/10

I almost submitted a track by Forsaken, it wasn't this one though. This is a fantastic choice, I really appreciate the keys on this. Production isn't the best, but regardless this contains majesty of it's own.

Manilla Road - Divine Victim 8.5/10

Manilla Road will always be a 'top 5' band for me, but this is getting a little ridiculous now. One of my favourite songs by them though so I guess I'll forgive it. But seriously, stop submitting them.

Trouble - Run To The Light 8.5/10

If pressed, my favourite Trouble album. Extremely obvious choice, but since it wasn't taken from an obvious Trouble album I can forgive it. All I see is despair!

October 31 - The Verdict 7/10

I really should dig deeper with this band, for some reason they've gone over my head/under my radar. It rules, though what I heard from their debut was way better if I remember correctly. Whatever.

Saracen - Horsemen Of The Apocalypse 7.5/10

I think this one is new to me. Those cheesy synths are fantastic and that bass guitar, instant fan. This kicks ass.

Icecross - Jesus Freaks 7.5/10

This album is the definition of cult classic. Absolutely killer madman hard rock. Not really metal but if it was submitted to the non-metal game I bet there would still be complaints. Fuckin' killer drum fills. Ah well, I'll let it go this one time because I love it so much. PS: F.O.A.D. liberation theology.

Tristitia - Christianic Indulgence 7.5/10

Never heard of this band, it's very powerful sounding. Sounds like the actual voices of God even. Really liked this, still wanting more by the end.

Tourniquet - Ruminating Virulence 7/10

Instantly didn't like the production, especially the way the drums sound, but once I got past it I enjoyed it.

W.A.S.P. - Babylon's Burning 7/10

Impressed with how recently it was recorded and the production is pretty bloody good. Cool.

Immolation - Nailed To Gold 8/10

Now that's how you end a playlist, such a contrast in style with this and the previous few tracks really makes this stand out. Hail Immolation.

Good one. :saint:

Last edited:
This was good but could have leaned abit less on the thrashy side for my tastes. . 7/10

CAULDRON BORN - Crusader

Not as into this band as a few on this board are but obviously good. Right up my alley. 8/10

Not my thing, and points of for off theme, or someone explain how this is about christianity specifically? 5,5/10

Messiah - The Choice

How is this getting high ratings? This is like something I picture a Jehovas Witness puts on after a long day handing out flyers in the streets. I don't mind preachy but this was done in the bad way. 4/10

I think flowery power metal and epic doom makes for a great combination. The cheese comes into form just right without the high speed tempo. Lyrics are abit wtf though. 8/10

Thematic but too obvious and not one of my favorites by the band, still Manilla Road are never bad. 7/10

For being a quite big trad doom fan I've never REALLY gotten Trouble, I like them just fine but never really put them together with the all time greats like alot of other people. Still, this is very solid stuff. 7,5/10

October 31 - The Verdict

Fine I guess. 6,5/10

Yeah this really ruled, probably the best song yet. Weird and atmospheric, abit video gamey but in a good way. 8,5/10

Icecross - Jesus Freaks

When I read in your reviews that this was proto-metal I thought I wouldn't like it at all. Still not a favorite but not unlistenable. 6/10

Nah, I often like this kind of music but something is kind of missing I think, not sure what though. 6,5/10

Boring... 4/10

This was fucking good! Book of Revelation always works as lyrical inspiration. I think serious business WASP is much better than party glam WASP. 8/10

Not really my fav kind of death metal and I think this kind of anti-christianity is a quite lazy interpretation of the theme. I do hear the quality though. 7/10

" Elric of Melniboné, Tuesday at 2:36 PM "

That would be about the only time that I didn't rate in a timely manner and it was because I had to catch up on my work after being across the state at a funeral. What's your excuse?

I'll be rating today.

Reactions: CiG
Apocrypha - Penance (Keep the Faith)

7/10

Cauldron Born - Crusader

8/10

8/10

Messiah - The Choice

6/10

7/10

8/10

8/10

October 31 - The Verdict

6/10

Saracen - Horsemen of the Apocalypse

7/10

Icecross - Jesus Freaks

6/10

4/10

6/10

6/10

7/10

Pretty generous ratings because I don't feel like being analytical.

Reactions: CiG
Suck it cunts

Apocrypha is a band I kinda neglect, but when I listen to them I realize they had some stuff going for them. The tech-y neoclassical riffing is nice and solid, and it’s got a good amount of aggression too, in some ways really not that different from early Coroner, parts of that solo scratch one of my musical fetishes actually. Having a hard time making out the lyrics, sounds kind of like a vague religious aesthetic applied on top of some kind of loyalty/pride theme, but at least it hints at a belief system. 8 * .5 = 4/10 rounded.

CAULDRON BORN – Crusader

Not that much better than the studio version, but still an improvement. Riffs are still pretty average. The lyrics have almost no religious aspect, but this exercise did make me notice “Crusader, make a joyful sound / Spill the blood upon the ground”, which created mental video of a kawaii Crusader-chan stabbing people in the chest with a :3 on his valiant face, accompanied by happy splatter noises as their hearts give their last doki doki. 5 * .5 = 2.5, rounded down to 2.

One of the better songs on the album, the thrash breaks around 1:40 and 2:40 are especially kickass. Not even specific to Christianity though, generic anti-religious lyrics. 7 * .25 = 2/10 rounded.

Messiah - The Choice

Lmao, I first heard this album about a decade ago and just thought it was simply an example of shit USPM. In retrospect, these guys are a Christian AOR band that got slightly caught up in the metal movement. I can actually enjoy this now to an extent though, the synth part towards the end was actually nice in an uber cheesy way. That backing “Up to you…” made me laugh out loud. While not explicitly referencing Christianity, the concept of free will in that context is common enough to the religion that I’ll call it thematic. 5/10.

The earliest Forsaken I’ve heard is Dominaeon, and this is… different. This barely even sounds like metal to me. I’m getting much more of a vintage early 2000s goth teen Birthday Massacre-y kinda vibe, that twinkly piano melody, the female backing vox, the ghetto we-can’t-do-scramz-so-we-just-whisper-harshly male backing vox, the simple riffing that only sounds metallic because of the distortion. I don’t know how you people downvoted that earlier Evergrey song into oblivion but enjoy this. Oh wait, looks like only CASSETTE gave it a positive rating, you guys are fine. Regardless, I liked this a lot and it made me nostalgic. It’s got the Revelations thing going so that’s good enough lyrically. 7/10.

Typical boring riffless Road, and predictable arrangement. Solo was above average for him though. Only tangentially topical. 2 * .5 = 1/10.

Fuck anyone that calls this album sub-par. Classic Trouble. Unfortunately for the theme, this is also where they began crossing over into hippie stuff, although there is still a vague Christian thing. 9/10 * .5 = 4.5 rounded up to 5/10.

October 31 - The Verdict

I don’t remember King Fowley’s voice being this cool. Almost getting Johan Langquist vibes here. Song itself is good too, not amazing but solid atmosphere. Has almost nothing to do with Christianity though, this is clearly primarily about execution. 6 * .25 = 1.5 rounded down to 1/10.

Potentially my favorite song from this album, great natural build-up. More Revelations. 7/10.

Icecross - Jesus Freaks

This particular song is definitely heavy enough to qualify as metal for me. Instrumentally, awesome song, one of the best on the album and it’s amazing how they had such a dark menacing vibe, so early and separated from the major early metal/heavy rock scenes. Lyrics are simple anti-Christian stuff though. 8 * .25 = 2/10.

I think I’ve heard of these guys but definitely never listened to them, interesting sound, I love these campy vocals. At *most* this is a song about Satanic/occult worship though, if even that. 6 * .25 = 1.5 rounded down to 1/10.

Tourniquet is a similar case to Apocrypha for me I guess, except I don’t enjoy them as much. It’s solid, tight, moderately technical stuff but they’ve never wowed me. Oh yeah, they tend to have dumb ideas too, like this bridge section. Annihilator-syndrome. Blech it goes all the way to the end. Lyrically this is really marginal but I guess it gets the pass because it at least tries to allude to concepts of how a Christian God operates. 3/10.

Yeah, WASP has had a fairly strong comeback. The chorus feels a little recycled from something they did earlier but overall it feels very fresh and strong. Even more Revelations. 7/10.

The first song to really demonstrate Immolation’s trademark sound, but the vocal melody/rhythm is pretty bland and the structure feels a bit haphazard and not in a good way. Has some excellent riffs and ideas mixed in though. It’s anti-Christian, but at least it specifically does reference the religious beliefs and not the believers. I’d say this is one of the more topical songs submitted in the game so I’ll give it a pass. 6/10.

I've been putting this off because I basically know the entire list already and this game sucks shit when aug hosts. Little commentary because captain autismo typed out enough drivel for everyone.

4/10.
Boring thrash submission 10,000

Cauldron Born - Crusader
8/10.

4/10.
10,001. maybe its youtube but the drums sound like someone slapping a table.

Messiah - The Choice
4/10.

8/10.
I've been listening to Forsaken for years, great band, if duder's accent can get a little tiresome at times..

9.5/10.
Manilla Road gets picked a lot but I happen to really like this song.

8/10.
My first choice. Didnt get it though.

October 31 - The Verdict
7.5/10.
A good song by a great, underrated band. They do much better than this though.

8/10.
I really need to get this album. I hate buying shit from overseas though.

Icecross - Jesus Freaks
7.5/10.
Kinda comical stuff because of the goofy accent. It's a good mega kvlt album though.

4.5/10.
bland.

3/10
. 10,002. This was the worst from the list, whoever picked this should apply the Tourniquet to their neck.

5/10.
After multiple attempts, I can firmly say I dont like WASP.

8/10

You guys are still crybaby cunts btw. Go make the "everyone rates every Manilla Road or Saint Vitus song a 9 or higher game" and play that. The fact that most of you apparently don't even find the Sadus or October 31 choices off-theme shows how you guys aren't even playing anymore.