Themed Mixtape Game

I gave my reasoning for each rating. It's not my fault that you find off-theme picks to be creative and submit them to these games.

Maybe you enjoy having lists of metal for every category under the sun but i just play these to hopefully find good music thematic or not. sometimes it's fun to troll theme geeks while doing so.

Music discovery is the best thing I get out of these lists as well. Do you think I or anyone else is actually offended when we have to rate off-theme picks? I don't care at all, clearly most don't either. Trolling would be submitting a long song shitty enough for me to sit and bear through, but not quite shitty enough to skip. I'd give it a low score regardless, of course.

Music discovery is the best thing I get out of these lists as well. Do you think I or anyone else is actually offended when we have to rate off-theme picks? I don't care at all, clearly most don't either. Trolling would be submitting a long song shitty enough for me to sit and bear through, but not quite shitty enough to skip. I'd give it a low score regardless, of course.

I don't think making someone listen to it is trolling no, but the after discussions can definitely be.

You guys are still crybaby cunts btw. Go make the "everyone rates every Manilla Road or Saint Vitus song a 9 or higher game" and play that. The fact that most of you apparently don't even find the Sadus or October 31 choices off-theme shows how you guys aren't even playing anymore.

I'd agree that those two songs are not totally thematic (Sorry H.P.) but the Manilla Road song is about the life of a canon saint of the Catholic church, Joan of Arc, and the tragedy of her martyrdom. That one is definitely themed properly.

I'll do a one-by-one, objective analysis on the theme of each song and listen to any contrary cases and adjust my ratings accordingly if a compelling counter-argument is provided:

Apocrypha - Penance (Keep The Faith) - no lyrics available, but I could make out no specific references to the Bible or its contents

CAULDRON BORN - Crusader - a song about a soldier fighting in a religious war on the side of Christianity, and is written in a way to imply that both state and religious motivation are present, but primarily describes the fight itself

Sadus - Oracle of Obmission - anti-religious, no references to Christianity, and not even exclusively there; "I'm the voice of the media / The power of propaganda" or " A system of conformity / Forfeit of your liberty", this is a song about brainwashing in general

Messiah - The Choice - a song implicitly (but obviously) about free will in the context of salvation and belief in God/Jesus

Forsaken - Via Crucis (The Way of the Cross) - Bible stories

Manilla Road - Divine Victim - a song about Joan of Arc, and how she suffered after a relatively secular war under a system driven by Christianity (which most courts of the time were)

Trouble - Run to the Light - hippie stuff with religious allusions to salvation, but almost humanist in motive ("But when I die, I know I will find my way" or "All are welcome, on the other side")

October 31 - The Verdict - a song about a man wrongly accused of a crime and executed, followed by religious frustration over not being saved

Saracen - Horsemen of the apocalypse - Bible stories

Icecross - Jesus Freaks - anti-Christians, not even anti-Christian

Tristitia - Christianic Indulgence - Satanism/occult, containing vague/implied mention of others following Christianity

Tourniquet - Ruminating Virulence - aka "God works in mysterious ways", more of a meme than a tenet of the Bible, but it's pervasive thinking in Protestant/born again groups

W.A.S.P. - Babylon's Burning - Bible stories

Immolation - Nailed to Gold - Bible stories, modified to provide anti-Christian sentiment

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
I'd agree that those two songs are not totally thematic (Sorry H.P.) but the Manilla Road song is about the life of a canon saint of the Catholic church, Joan of Arc, and the tragedy of her martyrdom. That one is definitely themed properly.

She was sainted after death, wasn't she?

I dont really care to say I picked the October 31 song because it isnt winning anything anyway but the theme is an incredibly vague one worder.

The song is literally about a Christian man learning that his God either wont save him, or isnt real. It directly deals with his faith in his religion and the priest's.

Theme is so extremely vague I didnt bother to even check lyrics this round.

Reactions: CiG
Apocrypha - 7 this was pretty middle of the road, i forgot what it sounded like as soon as it finished and had to replay the first minute to write this review. There are some good ideas but they're not developed enough for the sound they're trying to achieve imo.

Cauldron Born - 9 Wow. I'm actually impressed someone found another power metal band that I can enjoy. That makes about 5 total, but yeah this kicks ass.

Sadus - 7 I know they're a tech thrash pick and I should like it, but I just never got into these guys. Kind of boring.

Messiah - 1 lame. I would not even call this metal tbh. lame even by rock standards

Forsaken - 3 This is needlessly slow. There's not enough emotion contained in the chord changes for it to be valuable as a slow song. simple arpeggio piano part a 1st year student could play. it's boring af. At least it is metal and the vocals are not terrible.

Manilla Road - 2 Too many manilla road submissions, i'm here to find new music not relisten to music i don't much like. This is not as good as the manilla road song from the other recent game.

Trouble - 4 I do like Trouble but the second arg said Christianity I knew someone would submit them. We all know Trouble around here do we not? I don't really feel like making someone the winner for submitting something super obvious so I'm downrating it.

October 31 - 3 this is like the heavy metal equivalent of the apocrypha track, just kind of goes nowhere. they reused the same riff like 100 times. It's one of those where you can randomly skip through the track, and at any given point it sounds almost the exact same. there's a B section but it sucks.

Saracen - 2 lol at the synths. and then that stuff around 3 mins lol this is so bad.

Icecross - 7 Oh hmm 1973 interesting, that brings it up a couple points.

Tristitia - 7.5 When this started I thought I was going to hate this. It has good pacing and the rhythm guitar is gloomy enough to sound good slow. Clean singer's voice is a bit odd, almost like he's making fun of someone haha. Like listen at 1:45, you can imagine him going "and then he was all like:" and singing in this voice "errrruhhhhuherrrruh". Lol. Overall pretty solid doom track.

Tourniquet - 8 Probably their best album, everything I've explored of theirs outside of this was not as good. Sorry to the guy who said he would be spending money on this band, personally wouldn't recommend it outside of this album. It's not A level thrash but it's a solid B. They pass.

WASP - 3 not sure what to say here, you guys know i don't enjoy this stuff. radio friendly metal with verse chorus song structure riding on iron maiden's coattails.

Immolation - 9 Oh thank the Christian God there is something challenging to listen to on this list.

Yeah I didn't rate based on theme accuracy this time, I really just couldn't be fucked. If you're too retarded to pick a song that isn't at the very least vaguely on theme, you should probably gtfo.

I dont really care to say I picked the October 31 song because it isnt winning anything anyway but the theme is an incredibly vague one worder.

The song is literally about a Christian man learning that his God either wont save him, or isnt real. It directly deals with his faith in his religion and the priest's.

Theme is so extremely vague I didnt bother to even check lyrics this round.

If I could read that into the lyrics (a criticism of Christianity according to how it is ultimately tied to material experiences and desires) I would accept that, but I don't see it. The song is entirely in third-person aside from a brief portion ("Oh God above why did you take this life?" which I interpreted as being from an active narrator i.e. Fowley himself), the portions corresponding to the victim are basically Hallowed Be Thy Name expanded, and the priest's experience is limited to an ambiguous single line, "While the priest was staring at the sky".

She was sainted after death, wasn't she?

All saints are canonized after death. You become a saint because how you lived your life. The story of your life becomes part of the canon of the church and is used in its teachings.

She was also considered a holy warrior and was believed to have been blessed by visions during her lifetime prior to her death. That's why she was chosen for her position which also later led her to become a martyr.

Last edited:
Apocrypha - Penance (Keep the Faith): Pretty decent thrash. Loved the guitar and bass work on it. 7/10

Cauldron Born - Crusader: This fucking rules. I recall hearing about this band a year ago but I never checked their stuff out. Should take a look at everything else now. 9/10

Sadus - Oracle of Obmission: Not quite my favorite track on this album but it's pretty damn good, that's for sure. However, not on theme. 5.5/10

Messiah - The Choice: First saw stuff from this band a couple years ago. Not that great. Honestly, I'd sort of like it if the vocals were better. The score would be two points higher. Not something I would listen to much. I'll put it a bit higher for being on theme though. 6.5/10

Forsaken - Via Crucis (The Way of the Cross): Another band I haven't listened to. I quite liked it though. Liked the "power/epic doom" sound they have going on. 8/10

Manilla Road - Divine Victim: As much as some people on here like to bitch and moan about how highly Manilla Road gets put on lists, you really can't argue with the results. One of the best tracks off the album. 9/10

Trouble - Run to the Light: The band Messiah wishes it was. Great track and great album. 8.5/10

October 31 - The Verdict: Well...that was cool. 7.5/10

Saracen - Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Fucking classic. Criminally overlooked. 10/10

Icecross - Jesus Freaks: Interesting. From Iceland too. Hm. Also, not on theme. 4/10

Tristitia - Christianic Indulgence: Thought I was going to hate this for some reason. Pleasantly surprised. 8/10

Tourniquet - Ruminating Violence: Agree with Baroque. Not quite A-level thrash but a fine listen, nonetheless. 8/10

W.A.S.P. - Babylon's Burning: Despite how well known they are, I haven't listened to a SINGLE song from this band. Pretty mediocre if I'm being honest. However, it's on theme so I'll rate it a bit higher. 7/10

Immolation - Nailed to Gold: This is some good death metal. However, due to the anti-Christian sentiment, I'll have to dock a point off. That being said, still excellent. 8/10

I agree with HBB though. We should at least stick to the game's rules somewhat. The ratings aren't just supposed to be entirely based off the track's supposed quality. There is a theme that has to be taken into consideration and even a good song should be rated lower for not adhering to it.

Reactions: CiG and Vilden