There is Something About Opeth

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
What is it about Opeth? Is it the musicianship? Is it the varying vocals? Is it there dope dance moves :lol:? Is it as simple as the cover art? Is it the lyrics? Or is it their rugged good looks :err:? What is it, above all else that makes Opeth one of your favorite bands? if not the favorite.

Musicianship, no doubt. They could stop sing, write lame-ass lyrics, put the polkaroo on their album cover, cut their hair and dress like britney spears, but as long as they played the same style they'd still be kicking my ass!:heh:

The big thing for me with Opeth is their composition skills. The way each instrument offers something different but comes together as a whole to create a soundscape of perfection. Each part on its own isn't extremely technical and doesn't require an extreme level of high musicianship but these individual parts come together to make a complex, diverse piece of music. I'm often reminded of a lot of classical music when I listen to Opeth in the sense that each instrument often plays a part that is relatively simple but it's the harmony and contrasts between the instruments that make it grand. Of course all this wouldn't mean jack if Opeth didn't write great melodies as well. This is another area in which Opeth excel. Also, the way Opeth perfectly composes music that forms a definitive mood and can change the mood several times within a song makes them stand high above the rest in my book.

they just hit a cord in your brain and turn you into opeth addicts:) , they could stop singing and do an instrumental album that would still kick arse (notice how i say arse not ass :p ) but they deffinately have something in them.

While compositionally Opeth are rooted in death metal aesthetic, they have this sense of melody (you know what I'm talking about) - simple but lyrical and beautiful. The dynamics in their music, the mystique, the scope and the ability to turn such a haphazard form as riff-collages thrown together into real masterpieces.

-------------------------------------------
NP: Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps

Opeth was just a band who made my jaw drop and say WOW when it came to pure musicianship. the music is just breathtaking, and progresses very well from song to song. they are just an exceptional band.

they ARE #1 for me right now btw. :)

Preach on Soul Forlorn.

Definately musicianship and composition skills.

or maybe just the mustache??

Everything from the great riffs to the spooky album covers, it all somehow clicks.

Musicianship? Perhaps godmanship would be a better way of putting it, hehe.

Mikael writes the most gut wrenching lyrics and twisted/evil/sorrowful chords and song structures and then screams them from the pit of his stomach and plays them from the bottom of his beautiful heart.

Opeth is destined to become the prog giants that will surely start a new era of musical exploration and become one of the most influential groups in the history of mankind. Kind of like the next Yes, only better. hehe.

Opeth is simply the pinnicle of artistic expression. To regard it as any less is blasphemy.

Satori

i think its the mix of progression, and brilliant musicianship which makes opeth one of the most original bands round.:)

Yes. Definitely the musicianship and also the way they want to be seen or better yet, they way they don't care how they are seen. Too many times, IMO, bands get too concerned with their sales and how they are seen by the public. It's not their number one priority.

"Written in dust, tainted by memories."