thougth I´d share some old moments with Opeth

ante

awwww
Jun 28, 2001
in my mental room
Visit site
I´d thougth I´d share an old opeth moment as it is one of my greatest of all times :)
I have also scanned a pic from that moment so I´d thougth I share that too hehehe

(excuse my english by the way hehehe :) )
We were sent off to UK to have three gigs with Morbid Angel, one in Manchester and one in London, I can´t remember the other one, though the first in M.chester was cancelled.
When we came to england we stayed at Lee_B´s house actually hehehehe were we was introduced to english humor, it was a TV show with 2 guys and as we all had the same kind of humor in the band we ended up on the floor laughing until we almost coudnl´t breath, and I really mean that:) I was trying to get air and I know micke did as well hehehe

so next day we went off in a mini bus, the guys in M. Angel had ofcourse a real tour bus hehehehe
Then we came to the local for the gig and I remember I walk in and the first thing I see is a huge black shiny pearl drum kit with a forest of cymbals, like a dream set, and I almost faded away because I thought I was going to play on that, but no I wasn´t ofcourse hahahaha
we had our own drum kit infront of senhor Sandoval :)
To enter the stage we had to walk down a ladder so the changing room was above the stage, so we went down the ladder and Peter said to me, wait for my signal until you make the count in. I think the set list was Forest of october, advent and The Apostle In Triumph.
Then Peter suddenly turned around looking at me so I thougth, here we go and started making the count in on my Hi Hat, when I noticed that they wasn´t ready at all, Mike was still fixing his sound and so did Johan hahahaha
so they were diving on the pedals, the ones who makes the metal sound, I dont know what it´s called :) hahaha
anyway..when we was in the middle of the gig somthing told me to look up towards the dressing room...and there is he was, Pete Sandoval, one my heroe drummers because of his double kicks...doing thumbs-up to me!! :eek:

I didn´t really pay to much attention at the time because it was like unreal, so I just smiled back :)

Then after the gig we went to our mini bus and the M. Angel fellows to their tour bus, and I thougth that was it, just as Lee was about to drive away someone comes to our mini bus knocking at the door in the back saying "Hey, I just have to say goodbye to your drummer!" and gaving me his hand to shake, I didn´t first saw who it was but then I saw it was senhor Sandoval!!!. As a reaction I just asked him if we could take a pic hahaha
and that´s about it, I´ll never ever forget that...
I have attahced that pic here....but please dont use it else where as it´s my private pic :)

We were sent off to UK to have three gigs with Morbid Angel, one in Manchester and one in London, I can´t remember the other one, though the first in M.chester was cancelled.

It was Birmingham. I pulled the plug on the show as Morbid Angel's sound guy (prick - I came that close to punching his lights out..) would only let Opeth use four channels on the board, and the stage wasn't big enough for another kit (they wouldn't let Opeth use that either..).

were we was introduced to english humor, it was a TV show with 2 guys

The Smell Of Reeves And Mortimer for all you English folk :)

"Hey, I just have to say goodbye to your drummer!" and gaving me his hand to shake, I didn´t first saw who it was but then I saw it was senhor Sandoval!!

One of the old bands I played in toured Europe with Morbid Angel (plus C. Corpse, Unleashed & Samael) and Pete Sandoval was a genuinely nice guy. He was modest and unassuming and always took the time to talk. He even invited me to stay with him if I was ever in Florida, despite the fact I barely knew him.

Shame about the rest of the band :)

Lee

ah yes hehehe are they still active??

Sort of. They haven't done a show for a couple of years, but they appear on the TV once in a while. Reeves is usually drunk, so I think he's become a bit of an alcoholic.

It's not even worth trying to explain their humour to folks who haven't seen 'em. Written down it would just look ridiculous. It's one of those things you just have to see.

Originally posted by Lee_B Sort of. They haven't done a show for a couple of years, but they appear on the TV once in a while. It's not even worth trying to explain their humor to folks who haven't seen 'em. Written down it would just look ridiculous. It's one of those things you just have to see.
So the chances of me ever seeing this program is what? Slim to none?

Great story, Ante, sounded like way too much fun. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lynn

Originally posted by warsofwinter
Hey anders , are you still a drummer , or did you leave it behind years ago?

yea I kind of took a looong break from drumming hehehe :)
but soon enough I´ll get me some drum pads as I have no room for a real drum kit

so what´s up with your band?? I still haven´t managed to download some stuff from warsofwinter here but I´ll try later :)
I got a feeling you are looking for members, am I rigth??

Thanks for sharing it with us. Hopefully we can read a few more in the future

winter-frost - sure! :)
I will happelly share more moments in the future :)

Reeves is usually drunk, so I think he's become a bit of an alcoholic

oh nooooooooooooo :cry:

It's not even worth trying to explain their humour to folks who haven't seen 'em

hehehe, no that would pretty impossible :)

Ante, sounded like way too much fun

Opet - It was way too much fun and most of the things would as stated above be impossible to explain, you must have been there to understand the fun of it if you know what I mean?? :)

u know it was this small things that made it a great time, one thing I can add to this story though is that before a gig we used to do like a football team, gathering in a circle for pepp talk and scream like "let´s take em", or let´s goooo hehehehe :) that was pretty fun too :)

Anders, great story! Now that you've given us a taste.. I'm pretty sure we all want more! :D

And Lee, too.. you two have both been in the middle of the industry we all admire and revere.. spill it!

What were the other Morbid Angel guys like at the time? What about other bands?

Just me still being a little star-struck, I suppose. :lol:

And Lee, too.. you two have both been in the middle of the industry we all admire and revere.. spill it!

Hehe. I'd have to censor myself for a lot of the stuff :)

What were the other Morbid Angel guys like at the time? What about other bands?

Trey never said a word to me the whole two weeks. He was very quiet and just got on with his job. A very focused individual it seemed.

David Vincent was okay, though very defensive. He spent the whole time with the fat singer from Unleashed, no doubt plotting the next Polish invasion... With his talking voice, I think Vincent has a career in radio advertising in front of him.

We (as a band - called "Disgust" BTW) had a couple of run-ins with him too. First, our singer Dean stole his chair when he got up for his dessert in the canteen. David Vincent came back and basically whined and moaned for a full two minutes before finishing with "You Limeys are so rude. Disgust? I'm disgusted.." and wandering off (without his chair. Dean just laughed in his face).

The other time was when our guitarist Dave wrote "Morbid Angel are wankers - signed Unleashed" in their dressing room. They didn't speak to us after that.

Eric was a bit of a "Bill And Ted" type. ("Duuuuuuude!")

The guys in the other bands were great. Honourable mentions to the Unleashed guys (apart from the fat Nazi singer), Samael (especially Chris the bass player and the old keyboard guy) and all of Cannibal Corpse, especially Alex who loaned me a bass when mine was stolen (along with my passport and money) on the first night in Amsterdam.

It was a good tour. Unfortunately we had to go home early due to my passport and we never got to go to Poland, etc.

The highlight was when, in front of 3500 people at Hamburg Docks, we fucked up a song beyond belief and still got a round of applause. All the songs pretty much sounded the same (Discharge style hardcore), but Dave on the other side of the stage had a seperate monitor mix from us and played an entirely different track to the rest of us! We (me an Gary - the other guitarist) couldn't hear him, but we knew something was wrong when Steve the drummer looked to us in total despair, not knowing who to go with! So, we played two songs at once and no-one seemed to notice.. I think that says a lot about our music :)

Lee B

The other time was when our guitarist Dave wrote "Morbid Angel are wankers - signed Unleashed" in their dressing room. They didn't speak to us after that.

:lol: hahahahaha :lol:

hey Lee, you should have put on your Sean Connery mask, that would have
cheered them up! :D

Originally posted by Ante
...it was the small things that made it a great time...one is that before a gig we used to do like a football team, gathering in a circle for pepp talk and scream like "let´s take em", or let´s goooo...
:lol: :p That's great...wicked goofy, but I love hearing these types of stories. :)

Originally posted by Lee_B
The highlight was when, in front of 3500 people at Hamburg Docks, we fucked up a song beyond belief and still got a round of applause. All the songs pretty much sounded the same (Discharge style hardcore), but Dave on the other side of the stage had a seperate monitor mix from us and played an entirely different track to the rest of us! We (me an Gary - the other guitarist) couldn't hear him, but we knew something was wrong when Steve the drummer looked to us in total despair, not knowing who to go with! So, we played two songs at once and no-one seemed to notice.. I think that says a lot about our music :)
NO SHIT! Damn...I know it's not normal to want this, but I've never been to a show with a major fuck up. I know its nuts to want it, but I want to see this shit happening with my own eyes! I want to see them try and correct it and see how it goes down. See the real people. I'm sure I've noticed small differences, but I've never seen a major fuck-up live. Call me crazy!

Lynn

...and atone with your lonely soul...

DAMMIT! WILL SOMEONE CALL ME CRAZY!!

hehe.. hmm I have heard this Sean Connery mask before... what is the legend of that one? If I dare to ask

It goes back to Reeves And Mortimer. You really have to see it, but basically they both wore Sean Connery masks and did this bizarre dance to jazz music with a pair of underpants each. Every now and again the music would stop and there'd be a windy sound and then they'd start again.

As I said, you really have to see it for it to be funny. Written down it just looks dumb. Maybe I can bring a tape for you when I come to Finland?

Anyway, a few weeks after Anders went home, I sent him a Poloroid of me wearing a Sean Connery mask holding a pair of huge underpants.. so... :eek:

Lee