thrash debuts not good??!!!

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I remember in some other threads how the drillsargeant was very surprised the I loved kreator's endless pain debut, he said it was weak and how it only had like 2 good tracks. I love the album, but I started wondering if the rest didn't like it either. I know the thrash bands' debut wasn't their biggest or best (they were to come as the second or third like reign in blood or pleasure to kill), but I am curious as to what you guys think of debuts such as dark angel's we have arrived, slayer's show no mercy, destruction's infernal overkill
and so on; simple riffs, chaotic at some points, fast, some say too disorganized.

One of my favourite thrash metal albums is still Testament´s debut "The Legacy" and I definitely like it better than the albums they released afterwards. (OK, I have to admit that I stopped buying their albums after "Practice What You Preach" and I even sold the latter already years ago.)

I also prefer Forbidden´s debut "Forbidden Evil" (though the sound is a bit too "clean" for my taste) to it´s follow-up "Twisted Into Form" (I didn´t even buy "Green") and Death Angel´s "The Ultraviolence" to "Frolic Through The Park" and "Act III".

Other excellent thrash metal debuts, which I like at least as much as their follow-ups, are
Hexenhaus - "A Tribute To Insanity"
Anacrusis - "Suffering Hour"
Coroner - "R.I.P."
Mekong Delta - "Mekong Delta"

Of course, there are also thrash bands whose debuts are not really that impressive, e.g. I like Voivod´s third album "Killing Technology" far better than their debut "War And Pain".

And what about Exodus' "Bonded By Blood"?
If it isn't one of the best debuts ever, I don't know what is!
A real 'lesson in violence' :)
Heathen's "Breaking The Silence" is great, also...

"Show No Mercy" in fact isn't all that thrash that Slayer became afterwards, it's more of their heavy metal than punk/hc roots coming out.
It was hilarious to watch a pre-debut video bootleg where Hanneman and King do their Downing/Tipton impression... :tickled:
There were a few songs not recorded on Show No Mercy in the vein of Tormentor and Cryonics, total HM and they were actually really good.

yeah, thrash debuts suck big time
We have Arrived
Bonded by blood
Energetic Dissassembly
Sceptics Apocalypse
Feel The Fire
Kill Em ALL
and the ones mentioned in the above posts .. bad bad albums they are all ..

Well I'm no authority at all in thrash. But IMO the Metallica and Megadeth debut were very good, Coroner debut is excellent!, Testament wasn't bad either. Of course all these bands may have peaked later on thier careers, but to go to the extreme of dismise totally the first effort, dunno...

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Overkill, Death Angel, Exodus, Kreator, Coroner, Annihilator, Testament, Vio-Lence, Watchtower and Anacrusis all had debuts that ranged from very good to fucking awesome. Now that's a pretty hefty list of thrash bands right there. I honestly can't think of a thrash debut that was flat out bad. I will say that there are some bands that never even came CLOSE to topping their debuts(Annihilator, Death Angel, and Vio-Lence, i'm looking in your direction...).

I really enjoy Endless pain, but started out with Pleasure so Endless came in its shadow.
Flag of hate my all time favorite kreator song...

Time to raise the flag of hate
destroy the earth is our only aim
to strike all down is the only way
to give 'em death and let them pay

Wyvern said:
Well I'm no authority at all in thrash. But IMO the Metallica and Megadeth debut were very good

I could never really get into Killing Is My Business, it has cool songs like Looking Down The Cross, but I CAN'T stand Dave's voice on that album! o_O

Yes, I agree, when it comes to 80's thrash bands the debut is rarely the best. With the exception of Exodus, (Although I think they could have topped Bonded by Blood if Baloff had stayed in the band), the following bands, IMO did not release their best album initially: Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Anthrax (DEFINATELY not their best), Forbidden, Testament, Mordred, Kreator, and Destruction.

With these bands, practice and experience paid off later in time in the better albums that they released.

IMO, of course!

Abryl said:
I could never really get into Killing Is My Business, it has cool songs like Looking Down The Cross, but I CAN'T stand Dave's voice on that album! o_O
You sound like Cindy :lol: She's from my other forum and dislikes Megadeth because of Mustaine's voice. To me it've never been a problem, I rather have him that some grunter :D

Best debut for me definatly goes to Vio-lences "Eternal Nightmare". A 40 minute non-stop Thrashfast with riff after riff after fuckin' riff. And those gang-style backing vocals are awesome. God, makes me wanna kill someone!

Break Zero said:
Best debut for me definatly goes to Vio-lences "Eternal Nightmare". A 40 minute non-stop Thrashfast with riff after riff after fuckin' riff. And those gang-style backing vocals are awesome. God, makes me wanna kill someone!

^ Listen to this guy. Eternal Nightmare owns all.

I can't think of many thrash bands that did not improve with time. Wrathchild America's debut was their best to me, but most oter bands I can think of progressed and became better before the creative pool drying/stylistic changes started taking effect.
Many times, it was more of the lack of money put into production and recording as opposed to "bad songs" but at the same time, I was always into progressive thrash. Debuts normally were pretty raw "in your face" stuff and more simplistic. Even the great artist formally known as Metallica's debut wasn't near as good in my ears to RTL, MoP and AJFA.

Bryant

Wyvern said:
You sound like Cindy :lol: She's from my other forum and dislikes Megadeth because of Mustaine's voice. To me it've never been a problem, I rather have him that some grunter :D

hehehe I just can't stand his voice on that album. From Peace Sells on he started to sound a little better ;)