Thrash vs NWOBHM?

Simple is great if it's done well, but if you're upset by musicians actually being competent or even technical, then that's just sad.
I know. But...On the bright side. Thank god there's a New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal. I guess some people got tired of fast pacing and too much brutality. But at the same time there's been a New Wave of Thrash Metal.

The only NWOBHM band that didn't do much for me after awhile is Raven. I don't know why, but they just don't. I own 'Wiped Out' and seldom listen to it. Maybe I'll listen to it again sometime and see if I change my opinion. I love Angel Witch's debut. I like to stay away from YouTube and iTunes and stuff like that when it comes to my metal and listen to it on album instead because I feel it's more elite. If I'm interested in buying an album, I'll sample it first and then buy the CD, or I'll order it if I have to. I long for the days of old sometimes, when there used to be a lot more novelty in being a metalhead before the digital age, such as the 70's, 80's and early 90's. I have cassette tapes even that are now pretty hard to find and still listen to them. I imagine on this site there are plenty of elite metalheads that believe in buying albums instead of downloading, although YouTube and downloading is a good way to expose yourself to as many bands as possible, the true, elite old school should always prefer tradition and listen to the music on album, in whatever form instead. CD sales are declining, but that doesn't bother me. As poor as I am I still find myself able to shell out the dough for an album I really want, always.

Anyone else the same way? Who else prefers listening to their favorite bands on album rather than MP3 or YouTube?

Musicians actually being capable with their instruments, how dare they!
Back in middle school, some of my friends and I went to our school's talent show and played Deja-Vu by Iron Maiden. We must have rehearsed that for weeks. Finally, we ended up playing it (flawlessly, might I add) only to be critiqued that it was "too busy". No, really. We lost to a cheerleading routine. I'm not even kidding. This is what they do to good musicians.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Back in middle school, some of my friends and I went to our school's talent show and played Deja-Vu by Iron Maiden. We must have rehearsed that for weeks. Finally, we ended up playing it (flawlessly, might I add) only to be critiqued that it was "too busy". No, really. We lost to a cheerleading routine. I'm not even kidding. This is what they do to good musicians.
Deja Vu is basically one of the best Iron Maiden songs ever recorded too. The guitar parts on that thing are fourth-degree face melter level shit. That's just absurd. Did you have a singer, just out of random curiosity?

Also I realize two things have came from both movements.

From NWOBHM: Speed and Power Metal

From Thrash: Death and Black Metal.

Those being direct evolutions. Considering how Thrash evolved somewhat from NWOBHM, it took from the American hardcore punk movement and added.

The only NWOBHM band that didn't do much for me after awhile is Raven

Ditto here. I just can't click with them.

I have cassette tapes even that are now pretty hard to find and still listen to them. I imagine on this site there are plenty of elite metalheads that believe in buying albums instead of downloading, although YouTube and downloading is a good way to expose yourself to as many bands as possible, the true, elite old school should always prefer tradition and listen to the music on album, in whatever form instead. CD sales are declining, but that doesn't bother me. As poor as I am I still find myself able to shell out the dough for an album I really want, always.

Anyone else the same way? Who else prefers listening to their favorite bands on album rather than MP3 or YouTube?

If you check Amazon the new Testament album will come in cassette version too. I think that says a lot.

I still recording my blank tapes for use in the car deck, or my room or even a walkman. I don't use the latter much because I bough a 160 GB iPod and I have ripped my whole collection into it (and still have space) for the gym or certain outdoor activities.

As for the CD, people predicted the dead of vinyl and DVD too, and those are still here. IMHO a true fan (specially metal) buy the albums and play them (like I'm doing right now while typing). MP3s and download are for the same people into pop who use to buy a single or just listen to radio.

Raven's guitar playing is phenomenal, it's just the vocals that make it hard to dig for a lot of people is what I've come to notice.

Reactions: Wyvern
I have really never been "sub-genre specific." In fact, I am not even completely genre specific. Although I am a self proclaimed "metal-head" and listen to metal more than 90% of the time, I like rock and other stuff too. I don't really have a preference for one or the other when it comes to NWOBHM vs thrash. I like bands and artists over genres/sub-genres.

Full_Size_Render.jpg
My vote!

NWOBHM is great too. Listened to for ex Tygers of Pan Tang, Demon & Diamond Head long before I heard Slayer & Exodus.
Thrash is No1 though

Last edited:
Raven's guitar playing is phenomenal, it's just the vocals that make it hard to dig for a lot of people is what I've come to notice.

I think mostly is the vocals, but there's something else. Maybe one day i will recheck them again. Too much music out there anyway.

I think mostly is the vocals, but there's something else. Maybe one day i will recheck them again. Too much music out there anyway.

I think Raven has got the "Anvil syndrome". The music is ok*, but something prevents you from really truly enjoy what you hear. And even if you actively try to enjoy it, your ears find it more or less impossible to care about the input :)
There is a few other bands that fall into the same category. Not bad, just ...meh!

Imo, bands like this is best listened to when cleaning your apartment or something similar. Times
when you hear the music, but you do not listen to it

*A few songs is even very good

Reactions: Wyvern
That's odd, because I find it very easy to get into Anvil, and when I listen to them, I find it quite engaging, same with Raven, albeit to a minutely lesser degree.