tis the season for horror flicks!

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
With Halloween just around the corner and my wife working mostly nights...I've been in the mood for some good horror flicks. What are some good "newer" flicks to check out? Or classics that I may have missed? What about Freddy Vs. Jason...I imagine it's cheesy as hell but may be a good rental? Gimme some ideas...............

Avoid Freddy Vs. Jason, what a waste of film that was.
I would suggest, looking at Jeepers Creepers if you haven't seen that
& also getting part 2. The original is better, part gets a too high on the cheese factor... Still blows Fvs.J out of the water. Some people might think that it's sacriligious to remake Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I liked the remake. It wasn't all gore like the 80's retread sequels. Or you could go with the original , I have heard they issued it on dvd with some great extras...
Here's a question, while we are on the topic of dvd's. Have they released the remake of Dawn of the Dead on dvd? That would be a good one. Better effects, bigger budget, but didn't stray too much from the original flick. I saw that in the theater & its was excellent. I'm not huge on movies, but those are just some that come to mind...

Alright, horror movies according to Wyvern time.

First I have to say that horror to me is fun, real horror is CNN or the newspaper. Demons, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, slashers and other dark creatures of the celluloid are just clean bloody fun :p

"The Exorcist" (William Friedkin)
"The Thing" (John Carpenter)
"An American Werewolf In London" (John Landis)
"Nosferatu - eine symphonie des Grauens" (F.W. Murnau)
"Vampyr - Der traum des Allan Grey" (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
"Freaks" (Tod Browning)
"Dead/Alive" (Peter Jackson)
"The Devil's Backbone" (Guillermo del Toro)
"Rosemary's Baby" (Roman Polanski)
"Deep Red (Profondo Rosso)" (Dario Argento)
"Dellamorte Dellamore" (Michele Soavi)
"Night Of The Living Dead" (George A. Romero)
"The Omen" (Richard Donner)
"The Others" (Alejandro Amenábar)
"The Howling" (Joe Dante)
"Wolf" (Mike Nichols)
"The Entity" (Sidney J. Furie)
"Deliverance" (John Boorman)
"Hellraiser" (Clive Barker)
"The Serpent And The Rainbow" (Wes Craven)
"Alien" (Ridley Scott)
"Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" (Philip Kaufman)

And of course "Frankenstein", "Dracula", "The Mummy" and all the other WB and Hammer horrors with or without Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, Lon Chaney Jr, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, etc. :D

Don't forget one of the best "PG" horror flicks, Poltergeist. That was a freaky movie. Another oldie that is cool is April Fools (I think that is the title.) The original Amityville Horror and The Entity are cool as well.

Bryant

Let's see if i can type this again without getting booted again or frozen lol .... Anyways i liked Freddy vs Jason... not a scary movie but very funny .. you can expect Freddy and his one liners.. I thought the movie was very entertaining.. and for $2 or $3 at Blockbuster I dont think its a waste of money...rent it you'll enjoy it... and I think the movie Bryant meant is April Fool's Day.. i loved that movie as well... Below are some of my recommendations not mentioned by others... if i think of any others i will add them on some other day..

Phantasm series (the Tall Man is one scary dude lol )
The Prophecy I, II & III (with Christopher Walken)
Hellraiser series ( I wouldnt want Pinhead and the other sentinels to tear me to pieces)
976-Evil
My Bloody Valentine
Stephen King's IT
The Shining (the original one not the horrible TV remake)
I Spit on your Grave
Wolfen
Interview with the Vampire
Re-animator
Return of the Living Dead
Dead Alive
I Spit on Your Grave
Silent Night, Deadly Night series
Creepshow I & II
The Omen series
Tales from the Crypt (the original one from the 1970's and the one from the 1990's as well)
The Ninth Gate
The Sentinel (they should do a remake of this one)
Evil Dead series (except maybe Army of Darkness.. that was more of a comedy though i liked it)
The Vault
The Legacy
Salem's Lot (the original one.. it could of been done better but that Main Vampire looked scary as hell)
The Believers (with Martin Sheen and Jimmy Smits.. scary movie)

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Phantasm series (the Tall Man is one scary dude lol )
The Shining (the original one not the horrible TV remake)
Re-animator
Evil Dead series (except maybe Army of Darkness.. that was more of a comedy though i liked it)
Good ones, some are type B for my taste but nice in the horror niche indeed.

The Believers (with Martin Sheen and Jimmy Smits.. scary movie)
Fuck I forgot that one. That really got me on the edge when I saw it so may years ago. Excellent call!

the "snakes scene" was messed up on that one Wyvern lol the believers.. i have to get that one for my video collection.. there is another movie that i can't think of the title... Night something.. perhaps its Nightcrawlers.. of freaks that live under a cemetary.. i think its a Wes Craven movie... also you should include the Candyman Series...

Some great mentions here. I just saw The Thing the other night for the first time in AGES. Man was that a great blast from the past! Excellent movie. I am interested in that new one coming out this month called The Grudge. Anyone seen any early reviews? The commercials look really good.

The Thing... ackkkk why couldnt i remember that one for my list.. good call... very scary movie.. the one with Kurt Russell.... I havent read any reviews of Grudge yet but i will since i read the newspapers almost every day....

Wyvern said:
"The Exorcist" (William Friedkin)

That's probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. I love horror movies, but most of them aren't really scary, but very entertaining, sometimes even funny... and of course the gorier, ther better. But The Exorcist is something else, it still freaks me out! I liked Exorcist:The Beginning too, tho I didn't get exactly what was going on until the second time I saw it :eek:

the "snakes scene" was messed up on that one Wyvern lol the believers.. i have to get that one for my video collection.. there is another movie that i can't think of the title... Night something.. perhaps its Nightcrawlers.. of freaks that live under a cemetary.. i think its a Wes Craven movie... also you should include the Candyman Series...
Oh, you're talking about "Nightbreed" directed by Clive Barker and with the great David Cronenberg as the psychiatrist.

Speaking of Cronenberg, he's a very well recommended director with stuff like "Scanners", "Videodrome", "The Dead Zone", "The Fly" (remake) and more under his belt.

Im watching The Wolf-Man meets Frankenstein right now.......but my all time favorite horror movies are The Exorcist, Dawn of the Dead, and Pumpkinhead

L
The Legacy

I totally forgot about that one. That was pretty scary as well. Good horror flick.

Children of The Corn wasn't mentioned either. The Sixth Sense and The Cell are cool too, though not true "horror flicks."

bryant

I'm not much into horror anymore, but used to like watching movies like Warlock(I&II), Witchboard(I&II), Pet Cemetary, Night of the living dead, Demon Night(Tales from the crypt) etc. If i should see it now I'd probably woun't find it scary, just classic.
The Exorcist is one of those movies I regret ever seeing.

tedvanfrehley said:
So what are some truly SCARY ones?!?!?!
For me only two categorize that,m inthe sense I've seen them once and I CAN'T see those again (too deep in my subconcious):

"Deliverance"
"Rosemary's Baby"

the rest are just clean fun.

Yesterday I saw "The Village", and there's a part that is made for making people jump, is so obvious it shouts, nevertheless one of my companions jumped skyhigh, and I told her: you should know better about these movies :lol:

tedvanfrehley said:
So what are some truly SCARY ones?!?!?!

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST !!!
Try to find an uncut copy....you won't be disappointed
scared.gif