To those that have heard "Deliverance"

Originally posted by Vertigo

I will say this and I wonder if anyone agrees with me. I dont know what leaked out to be downloaded. If its a demo or a promo, but the production is SHIT! I dont know if Wilson helped on this one, but the guitars sound very muddy, the bass to low, the clean vocals too low and pushed into the background. Giving a very "dirty" sound. Not even Orchid sounds this bad. I think its terrible production and I pray its just a demo I got (either way Im still buying the CD) cause this does not sound like an official release. Infact I think its what contributes the most to the albu, sounding like a step back.

i agree to some extent.

i think im mostly just shocked though. to me opeth was writting

music that became most predictable with every release. this

wasnt a bad thing cause i liked the direction it was heading. but

this is definately a new unexpected step. i think alot of

people who discovered opeth with blackwater park may be

disapionted. this is dirty and heavy. seems to have lost alot of

opeths "beauty" and gone completely primal.

to me its kinda gone alittle to far the heavy way, and lost alot of

what opeth used to sound like. apart for the song a fair

judgement.

its still great music, but if someone had changed the file names of

some of these songs i might not be able to tell that it was opeth,

whereas for everyone other album so far you could pick it in the

first few seconds.

but thats just my opinion... theres some weird stuff on here.

Ok, I really have to hear this album soon. With people like Metalmaster, people saying the album will have to grow on them, and others (though extremely few so far) actually putting it down....I'm getting worried once again. I don't know who to believe - who I'll end up agreeing with.

God I hope I love this album as much as I've loved the others....

Well yes, it's very different. Think of Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dan Swano and Morbid Angel thrown into a blender. :). The mellow stuff on the album is AWESOME.. best I've ever heard... it has a constant 'theme' running through and the album has this awesome trademark sound. I particularily like the 'carnival' music part in By The Pain I See In Others... I also love the intro to this song, mainly coz I never expected it from Opeth... it took a bit of getting used to coz it's lost alot of that old Opethness, but it also totally blew my mind... it's nice to see that the band are reaching out into new areas and not trying to thrive off the success off past albums and build on it... I now eagerly await Damnation :).

Opeth phase 6 as far as I'm concerned. The newest album has always been a lot different from the previous IMHO. I'm just happy they continued to develope instead of doing an #2 of one of their old ones. And when I said "It makes me feel like when I first listened to Morningrise" (as some might have heard) I meant the greatness of the album, not that it's similar.

It's that whole new theme that's running through it... It's actually hard to go back and listen to the older stuff now... this is so much more personal as far as lyrics go and even the music complements that. It's this whole new sound for Opeth... amazing :).

Originally posted by Moonlapse
It's that whole new theme that's running through it... It's actually hard to go back and listen to the older stuff now... this is so much more personal as far as lyrics go and even the music complements that. It's this whole new sound for Opeth... amazing :).

I agree, this album is one seriously good piece of work. At the moment I can't listen to anything else by *any* other band, becuase comapred to this, everything else is just shit!

I mean, that fairground bit in 'By The Pain I See in Others'...breathtaking.

And the bit in Master's Apprentice where he goes 'aaaaaaahh' in clean vocals, really proggy sounding, absolutely beautiful...

~sighs~

Originally posted by Bleakest Harvest

I mean, that fairground bit in 'By The Pain I See in Others'...breathtaking.

to me this is ballzy and they dont pull it off.

sounds like cheesy elevator music.

BWAHAHAHAH cheesy elevator music, I'll have to remember that next time I listen to it so I can get a good laugh :). Not that I agree or anything, but it should be good for amusement.

Btw my favourite part of the album is that part in Master's Apprentice where they get that lead melody to just 'cry'... it's beautiful... oozing emotion. Followed closely by the intro to By The Pain I See In Others just because it reminds me of Shinobi on the old Sega Genesis :D.

Originally posted by Metalmaster
It's definitely better than 'Blackwater Park', their weakest album...

Wow - someone actually feels that "Blackwater Park" is their weakest album! That's actually the first time I've ever seen/heard that.

In my view, it IS their best (I've yet to hear the new one), and that's due ENTIRELY to "The Drapery Falls" & "Dirge for November", two songs that I feel are, not only THE BEST work they've done, but, perhaps twp of the BEST metal songs ever penned.
I've been into Opeth since '97, just after Century Media distributed "Orchid" & "Morningrise" here in the U.S., and I really don't think that Opeth has created better music than what's contained in these two masterpieces!!!

ps....all of this talk about "Deliverance" having a poor production/sound is disheartening. Especially when you consider that the new PTree CD has absolutely stunning & perfect production. I hope the posts above are a little.....'inaccurate'.

Originally posted by SoundMaster

In my view, it IS their best (I've yet to hear the new one), and that's due ENTIRELY to "The Drapery Falls" & "Dirge for November", two songs that I feel are, not only THE BEST work they've done, but, perhaps twp of the BEST metal songs ever penned.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think EXACTLY the same.
we must share the same mind or something.

blackwater park was far from weak. who knows how anyone could say that....

anyway, about deliverance: at first i didnt like the production because i wanted to hear the usual studio fredman sound. but it's just different.... the different production helps the album sound different, it fits.

Originally posted by Mikael is God
blackwater park was far from weak. who knows how anyone could say that....

anyway, about deliverance: at first i didnt like the production because i wanted to hear the usual studio fredman sound. but it's just different.... the different production helps the album sound different, it fits.

I dont like blackwater park either and also my arms your hearse. The other albums are truely great but i cant seem to really listen to those two albums for some apperent reason. I dont like them

I am curious how Deliverance will be

The production is truly terrible. I dont think that it was done to sound heavy or anything. Thats too stupid if it was done for that reason. The cd just doesnt sound "clean" enough. Meaning theres hardly any clarity in the individual instruments. Still Life and BWP had different producers but they still sounded clean and distinct, where you can hear alot of shit going on with the vocals and instruments. Mikael tries to sing clearer, cleaner and louder now, but the production makes it sound very crappy, giving everything an overall muddy sound.

Fuck I hope this is a demo.

BWP is their weakest, and yeah piet i'd say the same I like MAYH, but i haven't gotten into it the same way. So I have heard a few more songs now. A Fair Judgement and Wreath. AFJ is great, wreath is eh, but better then masters apprentices. I'm still not impressed :(

The perfect example of what Im talking about is the 6:35 mark in By the Pain I see in Others when the heavy riffs begin. Theres an acoustic under it, but you cant tell what the fuck its really doing. Aswell as when Mikael starts singing clean in Master's Apprentice, the vocals arent well mixed and sound like theyre fading in and out and a little muffled. Terrible.

Uh-oh.

All of this talk concerning the production is very bad news.

In my view, production really is the 'deal breaker' in music - especially in metal.

What good is it to write great songs & write with emotion if that emotion is buried in the mix & is indistinguishable?!?!? I hope that what some here have heard really is only a "demo".
Again, being produced by Steve Wilson, I find it hard to believe that the production can suck. The sound on the new PTree cd is
perfect.

There have been many "good" albums which would have been GREAT had the production been better, IMO.

This is surprising - I've seen more negative reviews of "Deliverance" than I would have ever expected. :(