To those that have heard "Deliverance"

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Mikael has stated, more than once, that the new CD is the "heaviest" they've done. I recall him stating that he "wasn't even sure where this 'heaviness' came from"!

Now, I'm wondering - is the album heavy in the same vein of "MAYH", with less clean vox & less acoustic parts?

OR, is it heavy in that the 'heavier parts' are just heavier & the acoustics/clean vox are still just as prevalant?

And does this CD have the melody of "BWP"?

there are a few riffs with a similar melody from previous albums, but its not another BWP. The melody style in the new one is MUCH different from BWP. Its nothing like MAYH either, its very odd to say the least. Lots of double bass beats in there too, really crazy.

Without a doubt, this will be the heaviest Opeth you've ever heard. There are some parts that are just straight-up sickening. I mean, I don't think I've ever heard Mike's growl sound so fucking monstrous. And the riffs-- oh, the riffs. They are crunchy, they are ballsy, and they are all over the place. Mike called Blackwater Park [the song] a riff orgy-- this whole album is a riff orgy. I've only listened to it one time through, so it's still hard for me to judge. This is also the hardest Opeth CD for me to get into because the sound is so jarringly different. But, as with most classics, the true beauty will be revealed after many listens.

It is without a doubt the heaviest Opeth album yet. The death growl that comes in at exactly 7:49 of "Master's Apprentices" is so different and terrifying. The first time I heard it it literally scared the fuck out of me and thats something that has never happened to me even with the most extreme death bands. I have listened to the album 10+ times already and I really feel that is their finest work yet. Everything that is good about past Opeth albums are all here except even better.

spot on hondo.

totally different.

seems hard to listen to at first. because its so all over the place.

but i think that was the same for every opeth album the first time you spin it.

mikaels voice sounds alot different, both in growls and mellow . i wonder if some of it is steve wilson again.? anyone know?

OMG 7.47 of master apprenctices i nearly shat my pants. MIKAEL HAS NEVER SOUNDED SO EVIL!

Originally posted by Thanatopsis123
What exactly were the first two phases? Raw brilliance, crystalline brilliance, and now disturbing and heavy brilliance?

i wouldnt even try to describe the phases other then

1) orchid, morningrise

2) the rest

3)deliverance

obviously that s very simplistic way to look at it. but if you had to split it in such a small number of categories thats how id do it.

Originally posted by ChokingParasite
Are there ANY acoustic passages, and/or clean vocals on it?

I really don't want another Bloodbath album :s

its definately opeth not bloodbath and ehaps of solos and klean vocals :p

Originally posted by ChokingParasite
Are there ANY acoustic passages, and/or clean vocals on it?

I really don't want another Bloodbath album :s

yes to both....lots don't worry

song 2 has acoustic and clean vox in the middle
song 3 has all clean vocals..no growls
song 4 is the instrumental....acoustic
song 5 has clean vox
song 6 has the acoustic segue guitars and clean vox

Originally posted by jester00
i wouldnt even try to describe the phases other then

1) orchid, morningrise

2) the rest

3)deliverance

obviously that s very simplistic way to look at it. but if you had to split it in such a small number of categories thats how id do it.

I think this is thier fourth phase, the others being:

1. Orchid, Morningrise
2. MAYH
3. Still Life, Blackwater Park

Ok, Ive heard it about 4 times already and am gonna go hear it again in a few. But when I first heard it I wasnt too impressed. But its growing on me like a mother fucker! I LOVE A Fair Judgement (brilliant solo). To me this isnt my favorite album, yet though. That honor still goes to Still Life. Deliverance sounds like a step BACK to me. Like it shoulda been released after MAYH, right before SL. The first 2 songs sound VERY MAYH to me and the next 3 like SL, with the final 2 being BWP sounding. The cd is still heavier than shit though and I do love it! Best CD ive heard this year, and probably wont be topped.

I will say this and I wonder if anyone agrees with me. I dont know what leaked out to be downloaded. If its a demo or a promo, but the production is SHIT! I dont know if Wilson helped on this one, but the guitars sound very muddy, the bass to low, the clean vocals too low and pushed into the background. Giving a very "dirty" sound. Not even Orchid sounds this bad. I think its terrible production and I pray its just a demo I got (either way Im still buying the CD) cause this does not sound like an official release. Infact I think its what contributes the most to the albu, sounding like a step back.

I've listened to opening track "Wreath" a few times; I was positively shocked when it started, not that it is *that* extreme as many here claim, but I was positively surprised at the snapping energy. The first six minutes of the track are great, intense death metal somewhere between "Blackwater Park" (the song) and Bloodbath. It's definitely better than 'Blackwater Park', their weakest album. Michael's vocals are still fantastic, I can't believe this guy smokes. After the sixth minute, the song kind of stagnates, introducing a typical (perhaps too typical) Opethian melody, and to be honest, while the first listen was a kick, I'm now bored before the song is over. Still a great song, though, but the greatness of 'Still Life' and the albums preceding it seems to be lost this time as well..