To those that have heard "Deliverance"

Maybe I dl'd a different version but I thought the production was pretty tight. I have a decent home and car stereo and I can hear all the individual instruments perfectly. I ranked it up with the production of Still Life ( different vocal style though). I know the finished version will sound even crisper being that it won't a crappy CD-R with it's limitations. For all who hasn't heard it yet, I declare... don't worry about a thing! You are going to love this album.

The production sounds flawless to me. I got it in a 192kb/s rip, and while there are a few little errors, they're just in the rip. The production sounds great. The drums are more clear and have more punch than ever before. The bass fits very nicely in the mix, going between backing the rhythm and providing the rhythm itself. The distorted guitar sound is different than blackwater park, as this album has heavier riffing and therefore a crunchier sound. The mellow guitar parts sound flawless, and, awesomely, very jazzy. To the people that are disappointed with it, I recommend deleting the mp3's and buying the album upon it's release, and listening many many times. It will grow on you, it's a fine album. If it doesn't grow on you, you're probably stupid.

Originally posted by Dvoters
I think the phases go a little something like this

1. Orchid
2. MAYH, Morningrise
3. Still Life
4. BWP

\m/

I don't think it's even debatable that Orchid and Morningrise go in the same phase.

Well I've listened to to it through twice now, the production is fine dont think the material is that impressive. Some good parts to certain songs but it isnt working for me as a whole yet.

Maybe need time for it to grow on me.

Now there's stupidity...

Please don't bother reading this thread if you don't want to hear opinions from people who have listened to the album or if your fragile ego couldn't bear the thought of Opeth putting out a less than stellar album. Not that I think it is... I just think your really silly. By the way, I also share the opinion that BWP is Opeth's worst album. It's the last one I heard, so maybe that explains it. Most of the people who like it best are new to the band and it's the first thing they have heard. I think that if you have been listening to Opeth for years, you tend to appreciate the things that they did in the past more (awesome classic rock guitar riffs, longer + more developed acoustic passages, longer songs, better death vocals/shrieks, subtle drums that don't overpower the music, etc.)...

I say this and yet, I wouldn't call anyone stupid for liking BWP the most. It's a great album... just not my favorite.

>> Most of the people who like it best are new to the band

Uhhh, no, I've been into Opeth since around '96 & I think the best album is Morningrise. (edit - before I heard this)
I'd say that this album is along similar lines to that album but interspersed with a much more proggy (meaning real 70s prog, like Genesis) vibe.

>I think that if you have been listening to Opeth for years, you tend to appreciate the things that they did in the past more

That's as daft as people calling Metallica sellouts after they released RTL

I've been listening to Opeth since before MAYH and besides the possibilty that Deliverance will become my favorite, I like BWP the best. It's not because I'm a new fan or anything like that. It's just the album that does the most for me.

I listened to MAYA properly for the first time the other day - usually the tracks have been on random in amongst other songs, which I think made them stand out badly - & I was well impressed. It's still not my favourite album by any means, but it's not the turkey I have thought for so long that it was :)

For me (as of now) - D1, MR, BWP, O, SL, MAYH - based not on quality, but preference.

Lordpaul,

Lost you a bit.

1.) >> Most of the people who like it best are new to the band...
This quote is referring to BWP... not Deliverance.

2.) I hardly think it daft to call Metallica sellouts.

Iandork,

I was just making a general statement, which appears to have some merit based on other posts I have seen. Of course, there are exceptions like yourself.

1) I know, but you're generalising, which you can't do really, unless you do a poll of some kind I guess.
As you can see in my last post, BWP was my second favourite album after Morningrise, some of my friends who have been fans longer than me prefer BWP, some prefer Orchid best. I'm just saying length of fandom & favourite album aren't so easily qualified & are certainly not an indication as to whether they'll like this album or not.

2) I was meaning the fact that all through their career their 'fans' have been divided as to their best album & with each album they have had a group of people who liked their 'older' stuff saying they'd lost it, or whatever. Personally I only thought they sold out when they wouldn't let Jason do side projects, but that's off topic :)

i think the fact that opeth did a double album has a lot to do with the heavyness that appears on deliverance.

im sure damnation will be killer, but deliverance to me is a slight step backwards when i stack it up against other albums it has its moments but then it also has moments where you go, what the hell were they doing.... ie beginning master apprectices, a tiny cute instrumental, (the cd is only 63 mins long why not give us a somethign epic like epilogue?, not something that takes 2.13mins and is just a little doddle on the guitars.)

oh well. my opinion changes every day. so perhaps im confused as normal