Top 10 2000-2009

Yeah to be fair, I said I know that isn't really the current discussion, so my post was mainly a response to your general attitude on this and topics like it. Not quite on topic, really, but whatever. I mainly did it to annoy you, subconsciously anyway.

I'm having a hard time understanding how your post was a response to my "general attitude on topics like this" when what you were apparently accusing me of was regarding "innovation as a necessary function" of good music. Which is something that I don't believe. I don't know why you would think that I do, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm curious what you think about my point about if there were metal forums around in the 70s...do you think there would be people (like yourself) who are more into the "pure" old style of "rock 'n roll" who claim that contemporaries of the time such as Judas Priest weren't really doing anything new but rather just incrementally changing a current style? I'm sure there were SOME people back then who thought that, anyway.

Of course there were people complaining. But what Judas Priest did for the fermentation of the genre went well beyond sound, even though they quite obviously took things beyond where they had been previously.

And of course hindsight has a lot to do with how Judas Priest's legacy is looked upon today, that's obvious enough. And of course some bands of today will be looked upon differently in 20 years than they are now (though maybe not by me). Beherit was widely disdained for many years before being accepted within the past decade or so, for example.

My point here mainly revolves around The Work Which Transforms God. Currently, we see their (BAN's) style on this album as only "incrementally" changing black metal. But how incremental is it, really? I don't know anyone who predated that album that pulled off a distressing, dystopian, mechanical black metal sound better. I would say that is a successful evolution. It also got plenty of praise and hype, all of which I personally think is warranted. I think that TWWTG will end up being a future classic, or at least a "cult classic" of sorts, like Manilla Road or Pagan Altar currently are.

How strong is your point if it's based on one album? :p

I'm struggling to gauge just what it is that you think my position is. I feel that I'm one of the more thorough advocates of new music on this and many forums. I consider lots of albums from the past decade "classic." I dedicate my music reviews (at least up to this point) solely to shedding light on new music. So I have nothing against new bands whatsoever. In fact I love giving credit where it's due, and sometimes I feel that I even over exaggerate and embellish to get that point across. What I won't do is pretend to see things that I don't, and what I do not see in the past decade are any significant, revolutionary paradigm shifts that reshape the way that I view some small segment of the genre, as there were in the previous decades. If you think that there are, I want you to tell me about them, because I would like to know about them. That goes for everybody. I would like to be wrong about this.

edit: This post came out a little longer than I expected. :erk: Oh well.

Instead of analyzing posts over and over, how about you accept the fact that you bitch too much sometimes..sometimes it cracks me up when you hate on a specific band, but sometimes a man needs to relax

Off the top of my head (in no order):

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
Ulver - Perdition City
Riverside - Out of Myself
OSI - Blood
Cynic - Traced in Air
Dodheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast
Agalloch - The Mantle
Gory Blister - Skymorphosis
Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice
Ozric Tentacles - Spirals in Hyperspace

Here's a few that I still listen to today, there were hundreds of equally well-crafted albums that should be on this list as well though

Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Jig-Ai - Katana Orgy
Sickening Horror - When The Landscapes Bled Backwards
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction (2004 remaster)
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Oppostion
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Gory Blister - Skymorphosis
Leng Tch'e - ManMadePredator
Meshuggah - Nothing
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

And yes I can't count

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue(2009)
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness(2002)
Iced Earth - Horror Show(2001)
Blind Guardian - Night at the Opera(2002)
Iron Maiden - Brave New World(2000)
In Flames - Reroute to Remain(2002)
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done(2002)
Opeth - Blackwater Park(2001)
Wintersun - Wintersun(2004)
Nevermore - The Godless Endeavor(2005)
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence(2002)
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain(2007)
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion(2007)
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors(year?)
Meshuggah - obZen(2008)
Symphony X - The Odyssey(2002)
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal(2007)

And a tun more.

Ares Kingdom-Return To dust
Drudkh-Forgotten Legends
The Lord Weird Slough Feg-Down Among The Deadmen
The Lord Weird Slough Feg-Traveller
Solstice-New Dark Age (Re-issue)
Ark-Burn The Sun
Therion-Gothic Kabbalah
Pagan Altar-Mythical & Magical
Wolf-Black Wings
Ayreon- 01011001
so many of my favourite albums were released just prior to 2000,D666-Unchain The Wolves,Conqueror-War Cult Supremacy,Summoning-Stronghold,Ulver-Nattens Madrigal,to name but a few.

yeah that'll be interesting to see what their second album will be like. I almost included The Corpse of Rebirth on my list. If I had known we would be rampantly breaking the 10 rule, it definitely would've been on there

Hmm I read about Forest of Stars like a week ago and wanted to check them out..and I have a free moment now. Sweet.

Albums released in 00's that in my opinion are innovative.

Blut aus nord - twwtg
agalloch - the mantle
agalloch - ashes against the grain
the ruins of beverast - rain upon the impure
nachtmystium - instinct; decay
The angelic process - weighing souls with the sand
pig destroyer - prowler in the yard
drudkh - autumn aurora

^^ Listened to God, now on to Female. I like it, but I can't decide how much at this point. I can definitely tell its on the higher end among that sort of drawn out/semi-ambient group of black metal bands, but it takes a lot for me to consider such a band a personal favorite due to the time and attention you have to invest in understanding their music. I like their use of folky instruments and their production makes it more accessible than, say, Rain Upon the Impure. I shall persist.