Top 3 things that turned you on to Opeth

extolfan

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2006
California-USA
For me the first song I heard was Harvest followed by Demon of the Fall.

Top 3 for me are:

1. unusually long song lengths. (awesome)! :loco:
2. Lopez (If I was a chick I would do him). ;)
3. when Mike said first song he wrote was, "I hate hip hop." :heh:

1. frist song - When. Long, atmospheric song with psychadelic/stoner style acoustic riffs. Deathly convincing vocals and singing, non-predictable but comfortingly self-affirming. Also this is within a concept album.

2. It is comforting knowing that even after all these years Opeth have the respect of many veteran music enthusists, even among music critics

3. Kickass riffs! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I am a new fan so I have yet to get Blackwater Park and Damnation, although I have heard them. I am on my way to Tower Records in a few hours here in California. If they don't have it I will go to Borders since it's open till 10 PM

Drapery Falls on Google Video. Got way interested and DL'ed the whole collection(owned legally now :p )...then discovered they played a show out here the previous weekend :(

1. Progressive Elements
2. Mikael's growl was so kickass when I first heard it
3. Their Alternating between Clean/Distorted trait during songs.

I first heard Blackwater Park, and it was so different from anything else. It was original, and I was hooked immediately.

my conncetion with Opeth was screwed up. The first Opeth song I ever heard was "Circle of the Tyrants", and I never knew that it was a cover song until i became a fan, which was because of Blackwater Park, i think. I agreed that it was a metal masterpiece, and in a musical sense, Opeth was, and still is,the only band that I am in love with.

1. Alternation between heavy and mellow passages.
2. Mike's growls were just irresistably awesome.
3. Little hints of progressiveness within the awesome death metal.

I can't think of another artist who sings clean and deep vocals so beautifully....although Dave Matthews, I think...can go there, if he'd like.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Alright, top 3.

1. Recommendation by a friend who is in a progressive metal band and large influence was Opeth
2. Long song lengths
3. An urge to buy CD's by a band from every metal subgenre

cool :headbang: