Top 3 things that turned you on to Opeth

narcoleptic haze said:
Good point. That was the song that I first heard and prompted me to check out their other stuff. Still think it's one of their best songs.

I signed on just to agree to this . Windowpane is a great introduction song to Opeth.

1. Heard Harvest, got intrigued. Then heard some songs from Morningrise, got turned off.
2. Got curious again, this time going through all of Blackwater Park. I creamed my pants.
3. Realized their past albums were just as good as BWP.

1. they were the one swedish death band at the time which didnt lose its emphasis in a short period of time. Every other band in that genre (even back in late 1999 when i got into most of them as well as Opeth) were already seeming ripped off/cliched and redundant, whereas Opeth had some of those great melodies and harmonies, but a lot more depth than anyone else, as well as sincerity in a way.

2. a good mixture of heavy material and soft material. the whole bands formula and approach was similiar to what made classic songs like "dreamer deceiver", "remember tomorrow" and "sabbath bloody sabbath" such great pieces of dynamic work...but they didnt seem to have to try, and it was on such a more epic scale due to the consistancy through such long song lengths.

3. their unconvential approach to melody. it wasnt just power chords and typical heavy metal aesthetics...i was hearing melodies on still life that i had never heard in metal or rock music before really. while not always the most "catchy" approach...it certainly had a ton of mystery, and replay value due to its uniqueness.

p.s. Demilich: fantastic avatar man, good to see Sundial get some recognition around these parts.

to sum up into 1 thing.. Advent

In 3 parts, the things going through my mind as i heard the song

1) Shit, never heard anything like this before. Ever.
2) Man is this song long, but it's still fucking awesome!
3) Loving the guitarwork and basslines!

The first time I heard Opeth I knew this band was taking metal to a higher level than most bands I listened to at the time. The epic sound, instrumentation, the mixture of growls and clean vocals, etc. I listened to Morningrise and thought to myself..."I can't see a damn thing wrong with this."

1. They were recommended to me by a guy who was interviewing for a teaching position at the high school where I taught. He laughed when I said I was into Iced Earth. He told me Opeth were like the Moody Blues of metal. I put them on my "must listen" list and wondered what the hell was so funny about Iced Earth. Then...

2. I heard "Deliverance" (song) on digital cable. I was blown away by the ferocity of the riffing and the interplay between light and dark, and immediately went to the store to buy a CD...

3. Which was Damnation. I had no idea that it was what it is at the time. And knowing that they were capable of incredible heaviness, but had done an entire mellow album sold me. "Windowpane" was a major factor, as was the "In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness" moment. I understood then why Iced Earth was so funny.

1. I heard an opinion that they are the 'messiah of progressive metal' right after they released Deliverance and it made me curious (most of such opinions turn out to be shit but its worth checking out anyhow, just to establish an opinion).

2. I heard a promo version of Deliverance (the first 6 mins) and I was amazed kind of like soundave.

3. My pal had the whole Deliverance (for him it was 'meh' but he's the orthodox-DM type) and I borrowed it.

And so it began...

i had pretty bad taste at the time (not as bad as metalwrath or anything tho) so when i heard gud music it was liek a revolation!

soundave said:
2. I heard "Deliverance" (song) on digital cable. I was blown away by the ferocity of the riffing and the interplay between light and dark, and immediately went to the store to buy a CD...

3. Which was Damnation. I had no idea that it was what it is at the time. And knowing that they were capable of incredible heaviness, but had done an entire mellow album sold me. "Windowpane" was a major factor, as was the "In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness" moment. I understood then why Iced Earth was so funny.

Wow, that pretty much sums up how I got into them. 1st listen was Deliverance on Music Choice, then I purchased Deliverance a few weeks prior to the Damnation release. A little later I visited Newbury Comics & saw they had a new release & it was Damnation. A week later I purchased the rest of their albums & I've been hooked ever since.

1. Epic scope of their work (guitars especially)
2. Jekyll/Hyde dynamic. I've never heard it work to such great results!
3. Among the most exciting drumming I have ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Let's hope Axe keeps #3 up.

1. the guitar stuff (rhythm parts, solos e.t.c.)
2. the fact that Mike can sing really well & scream like he's a demon from hell or something
3. the length of the songs, they're not short & when you listen to them they don't seem all that long.