Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

It's progressive metal with maybe some death metal influences here and there.

Suck my balls

What's the point in debating this? Clearly it is at least slightly ambiguous and not nearly as clearcut as calling out Opeth as not being death metal.

So then The Fragile Art of Existence is a death metal album?

You could stretch it and say that Symbolic is a death metal album, but saying TSOP is a death metal album is just wrong

Fuck no. TSoP is in fact Proggy death metal. But Control Denied is no where near Death metal. They are complete progressive metal.

Fuck no. TSoP is in fact Proggy death metal. But Control Denied is no where near Death metal. They are complete progressive metal.

Whatever you're smoking, stop it. How the fuck is TSOP prog death metal and Control Denied nowhere near death metal when the style of riffing of Control Denied is exactly the same as TSOP? Truth is, the last Death album is so far removed of death metal it shouldn't be called death metal, and it was a conscious effort on Chuck's part too.

Whatever you're smoking, stop it. How the fuck is TSOP prog death metal and Control Denied nowhere near death metal when the style of riffing of Control Denied is exactly the same as TSOP? Truth is, the last Death album is so far removed of death metal it shouldn't be called death metal, and it was a conscious effort on Chuck's part too.

HIGH FUCKING FIVE

It appears someone got sucked into a strawman argument since this debate was originally about Symbolic, which is quite a bit different from Chuck's last two albums.

Can't really put them in order but these album would definitely be part of my top 10 list.

Cadaver - ...In Pains
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Miasma - Changes
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Fleshcrawl - A Descend into the Absurd
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Demilich - Nespithe
Adramelech - Psychostasia

It started on Symbolic and went into an argument about TSOP.

By equating Symbolic with TSOP, which is idiotic to begin with (and hence strawmanning the original argument). Fortunately for you the moron that you were debating with fell for the bait, while the original discussion on Symbolic ended with your own admission that it is kind of death metal.

I am just pointing out how you are all stupid, in this specific case ;).

Go talk about anarchism some more

I'm good actually.

I didn't see many mentions of

Carnage - Dark Recollections
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream.
Seance - Fornever Laid to Rest

Some of my favourites
:oops:I left out Carnage out of my top picks but only because I mentioned Dismebmer & Entombed and I wanted to be fair to other bands:heh:

Seeing these lists is interesting because it almost displays what each member prefers from their death metal.

For me, as you can probably tell, it seems to be subtle yet twisted melodicism while someone like MalignParadigm seems to appreciate the more rhythmically crushing works on the whole.

Yet despite these differences, Slumber of Sullen Eyes appears to have made every reputable member's list--perhaps as an album it represents the meeting point of those two extremes more so than any other death metal work to date. Just a thought.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Rottrevore - Iniquitous
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With the Dead
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Nocturnus - The Key
Mortuary - Blackened Images
Crimson Relic - Purgatory's Reign
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph

i was scrolling down the list wondering "when is anyone going to mention autopsy or immolation"? you remain the paragon of great taste around here!

;)

Yet despite these differences, Slumber of Sullen Eyes appears to have made every reputable member's list--perhaps as an album it represents the meeting point of those two extremes more so than any other death metal work to date. Just a thought.

Indeed. It is, to this date, the best Death Metal I have ever heard, and some of the best Metal in general. Like you said, a perfect combination of crushing rhythmic intensity and dark, twisted melodicism. The production is utterly flawless too - I just can't fault the album at all.

On an unrelated note, from my initial list, Ancient God of Evil needs to be replaced with Spiritually Uncontrolled Art by Liers in Wait. The most devastating Death Metal EP recorded!

;)

Indeed. It is, to this date, the best Death Metal I have ever heard, and some of the best Metal in general. Like you said, a perfect combination of crushing rhythmic intensity and dark, twisted melodicism. The production is utterly flawless too - I just can't fault the album at all.
I never got the love for Demigod. Maybe I should revisit them some time...
On an unrelated note, from my initial list, Ancient God of Evil needs to be replaced with Spiritually Uncontrolled Art by Liers in Wait. The most devastating Death Metal EP recorded!
:mad:

I think I certainly favor other death metal albums over SoSE, but you are right in terms of both consistency of songwriting and production it is perhaps the best in its class.

Another death metal album with superb production is Todessehnsucht, crisp and clear yet dark and evil sounding as well. Additionally, the drumming on this album has always stood out to me as perhaps the best performance in the genre on the level of style.

;)

Yeah, I have yet to hear an album similar to Spiritually Controlled Art. Took a few tries for me but once it clicked, it was some of the most interesting death metal I'd ever heard.

Although I've burnt myself out on most death metal, and unfortunately, can no longer share my enthusiasm for all these cult classics you often namedrop with such fascination, I'll always favor Cadaver's second album for its lucid flow, great pacing and rhythmic captivity. Its almost danceable groove gets me like nothing else in death metal.
It doesn't boggle my mind with a gazillion piercing riffs that tug at several directions at once, being one of the least labored albums in tech death. The unique non-grating production of the album also ensures that my ears won't turn to pulp from turning the volume knob all the way up. I've come to frown upon most instances of intrusive bassy production
That's why ..In Pains still remains my favorite record.
On a more far-fetched note, this is what Can would have probably sounded like if they had decided to record a death/thrash album.
Ege Bamiyasi-- my life in canned form. ;)