Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

I just realized that the intro to Todessehnsucht reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics. lulz.

When the intro melts into the jazzy drumming section at the beginning of Godless Years it gets me every time. Fucking brilliant, I say.

The drumming on that record does not get enough attention.

I'd like for someone to explain the Possessed love. Is it based on influence and being first? I've listened to Seven Churches atleast ten times... and I just cant get myself to like it whatsoever. I have a feeling if it was released a few years later, no one would even bother knowing who they were.

And... inb4alltheinsultsbecauseidontlikethem. I'm seriously just asking...

Actually, I have to confess that I feel relatively similar too. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, it's just that it fails to reach the level of importance that others invest in it.

It just seems that when other people cover Possessed songs, they sound better than the original.

Actually, I have to confess that I feel relatively similar too. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, it's just that it fails to reach the level of importance that others invest in it.

It just seems that when other people cover Possessed songs, they sound better than the original.
Ok, I'll confess along with you. I felt much the same and actually sold my 7 churches album about 5 years ago... Heretic maybe, but I'll do what i please as it pleases me.:p

+1

http://www.hailmetal.com/gate.html?name=BestOfDeath

01. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
02. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
03. The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
04. God Macabre - The Winterlong
05. Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
06. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
07. Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity
08. Miasma - Changes
09. Liers in Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art (EP)
10. Massacra - Final Holocaust

also, on all of the discussion - i think fleshcrawl descend into the absurd is better than demigod. glad to see that made it to a number of top 10s, as did miasma ... didnt know there were so many fans of that around here. schizophrenia has to be one of the most animalsitic raw brutal songs of all time.

also, on all of the discussion - i think fleshcrawl descend into the absurd is better than demigod. glad to see that made it to a number of top 10s, as did miasma ... didnt know there were so many fans of that around here. schizophrenia has to be one of the most animalsitic raw brutal songs of all time.
Yes, Fleshcrawl is infinitely better than Demigod in my books but still wouldnt rate them in my top 10.

well honestly, as i've stated, i'm just recently getting into the genre and exploring different bands, and i just happened to like "seven churches" the best so far, i haven't gotten to hear much, i'm still pondering a purchasing spree. I did buy Human by Death, and i do really like it, I like Ghost Reveries by Opeth alot too, so i think really my love for Possessed is based on my lack of knowledge and experience with the genre. Give me some time, i'll find some more i like better.

So you're basically saying that your taste will become worse once you're more familiar with the genre?

Yeah...uh...what? No one is saying Possessed is bad or that you should "get over them" or anything...in fact, stick with Possessed and fuck Opeth :p

I find it difficult to listen to anything by Opeth that isnt from Deliverance or My Arms, Your Hearse... and that's still a stretch.

If I was to assemble a list of my top 10 death metal albums, it would look like this (in no particular order):

Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Death - Human
Deicide - Legion
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Morbid Angel -Blessed are the Sick
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Nocturnus - The Key
Demilich -Nespithe

Runners up:

Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn
Deicide - s/t
Death - Spiritual Healing
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Gorguts - Considered Dead

I'd have to go Augury - Concealed for a death/space metal one. Then what comes to mind, as far as top plays go, Vader - Impressions In Blood.
:headbang:

My 10 Favorite Are:
1.Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
2.Death - Scream Bloody Gore
3.At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
4.Morbid Angel - Covenant
5.Entombed - Clandestine
6.Death - Symbolic
7.Deicide - When Satan Lives (not sure if Live albums count here but I love this one)
8.Obituary - Slowly We Rot
9.Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
10.Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

I probably could have just listed 10 Death & Morbid Angel albums as my favorites but decided to add a little variety.