Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

Going further than just Slumber of Sullen Eyes, most of the lists have a fairly similar core group of albums. I couldn't imagine any other subgenre of metal having such uniformity and consistency in what are regarded as the top albums(except perhaps thrash, but even then to a lesser extent). Black metal lists would be wildly different, for example. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I'd say that's because a lot of modern Black metal that people on this board fellate, still retains some of the conviction, inspiration, and dark vibe which fueled the works of the old masters, while the majority of popular death metal mostly went to emulate the works of more accessible At the Gates and Suffocation records. the two camps trying to out-maneuver each other in technicality, brutality and writing more catchy material. And that's not what most old-school veterans are looking for.

Of course,there's contemporary old-school death metal, but I find death metal to be a somewhat more restrictive genre,so when writing new material in the old vein, it's more difficult to reinvent yourself. It's difficult to capture that dark feeling without sounding artificial, stepping too much on your own foot warts and on the feet of those who came before you.

Just look at all the reunion albums of old bands that tried to do it. They were labeled sellout on release. There maybe only a few of the devoted old-timers who would be curious to hear a squeaky modern sounding Demigod. The majority of fans wants them to recapture the darkness of their past. They want Slumber of Sullen Eyes, part 2, a direct continuation of their magnum opus. Nostalgia is a bitch, mate.:p

Black metal is dark by virtue of the specific techniques it employs, while necrotic death metal of the early 90s gets its dark vibe from the raw, unpolished sound which is often due to constraints in production budget.

I haven't made a list in a while so let's see what my top dm albums are at this point.

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Gorguts - Obscura
Demilich - Nespithe
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Atrocity - Todessehnsucht
Cenotaph - Riding Our Black Oceans
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Massacra - Enjoy the Violence
Molested - Blod Draum

Seems to be trendy to put Alters of Madness on the list. Lots of cool lists though. You can immediately tell the OMFG br000000000000tall guys from the guys who like the more melodic &/or technical stuff.

didn't i do this yet

at the gates - the red in the sky is ours
at the gates - gardens of grief
the chasm - deathcult for eternity: the triumph
demigod - slumber of sullen eyes
fleshcrawl - descend into the absurd
adramelech - psychostasia
atrocity - todessehnsucht
darkthrone - soulside journey
autopsy - severed survival
incantation - onward to golgotha

no order

Seems to be trendy to put Alters of Madness on the list. Lots of cool lists though. You can immediately tell the OMFG br000000000000tall guys from the guys who like the more melodic &/or technical stuff.

Yeah, it's trendy. It's trendy because just about every other Death Metal album that followed it was influenced by it.

My top ten:

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, Blessed Are The Sick
Demilich - Nespithe
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Gorguts - Obscura, From Wisdom to Hate
Deicide - Legion
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Death - Human

Going further than just Slumber of Sullen Eyes, most of the lists have a fairly similar core group of albums. I couldn't imagine any other subgenre of metal having such uniformity and consistency in what are regarded as the top albums(except perhaps thrash, but even then to a lesser extent). Black metal lists would be wildly different, for example. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

well i dunno about nowadays but a few years back most lists would include HLTO, either transilvanian hunger or UAFM or both, pure holocaust, thousand swords, some bathory etcetc. on the flipside, there are other communities where the DM lists would be vastly different, more old-school sites would definitely include stuff like possessed and master/deathstrike ahead of ATG and demilich, for example.

the massive popularity of stuff like demilich, demigod, ATG etc (and unpopularity of stuff like suffo) around here largely began with the ANUS, it's interesting to see how that influence still remains regarding taste norms.

Yeah, it's trendy. It's trendy because just about every other Death Metal album that followed it was influenced by it.

It's a fine album, I just don't think that the fact it was probably extremely influential on the scene warrants it to be everyone's favorite death metal album. Bands came later & did the same thing better. Even Morbid Angel tried new stuff. Music evolves. It's like comparing Elvis to Van Halen... Kind of.

It's a fine album, I just don't think that the fact it was probably extremely influential on the scene warrants it to be everyone's favorite death metal album. Bands came later & did the same thing better. Even Morbid Angel tried new stuff. Music evolves. It's like comparing Elvis to Van Halen... Kind of.

It wasn't just it's influence that made it great. I mean Venom was influential to many Black Metal bands, but you won't be seeing, "Black Metal" on anyone's top ten Black Metal albums list.

If we look past the influence, we'll see that Altars of Madness didn't just have the fast pace and technical music alone. It had compositions that were far superior to anything out there, and still impresses today. This is where you'll find albums that are remembered forever, and those that gather dust over time.

Gorement - The Ending Quest
Internal Decay - A Forgotten Dream
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Wombbath - Internal Caustic Torments
Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Crematory - Denial (EP)
Entombed - Left Hand Path

This is just at the moment. Obviously missing many classics

didn't i do this yet

at the gates - the red in the sky is ours
at the gates - gardens of grief
the chasm - deathcult for eternity: the triumph
demigod - slumber of sullen eyes
fleshcrawl - descend into the absurd
adramelech - psychostasia
atrocity - todessehnsucht
darkthrone - soulside journey
autopsy - severed survival
incantation - onward to golgotha

no order

Good list. I'm glad to see Todessehnsucht in there. That album has almost everything I look for in death metal: the dark melodicism and atmosphere of European dm and the progressive dm stylings more common in North America. It's a near perfect piece of work. Too bad that band became some kind of faggy gothic metal shit.

Psychostasia and Soulside Journey would've probably been in my list a year ago.

Your list needs moar Gorguts.

It wasn't just it's influence that made it great. I mean Venom was influential to many Black Metal bands, but you won't be seeing, "Black Metal" on anyone's top ten Black Metal albums list.

If we look past the influence, we'll see that Altars of Madness didn't just have the fast pace and technical music alone. It had compositions that were far superior to anything out there, and still impresses today. This is where you'll find albums that are remembered forever, and those that gather dust over time.
I would rate Venom in my top 10 BM list:lol:

Interesting what you said about the anus site earlier. I never looked at (thats site) it much but your explanation does answer a few questions.

orly? I couldnt make that distinction but maybe thats been caused from too much headbanging over the years.

This has recently become one of my favorites as well. Almost on the level of something like The Red in the Sky is Ours, IMO and as such is grossly overlooked.

Yeah, it's fantastic. Actually, I've always thought it sounded like kind of a cross between TRITSIO-era At the Gates and UP-era Atheist. Good stuff.

I just realized that the intro to Todessehnsucht reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics. lulz.

Fair enough. I really like the album & it's one of my favorite Morbid albums, I just wouldn't put it anywhere near my top 10 list.

I'd like for someone to explain the Possessed love. Is it based on influence and being first? I've listened to Seven Churches atleast ten times... and I just cant get myself to like it whatsoever. I have a feeling if it was released a few years later, no one would even bother knowing who they were.

And... inb4alltheinsultsbecauseidontlikethem. I'm seriously just asking...