top of the heap death metal?

zombie havoc

Feb 7, 2004
i dont really know much about death metal. i have a few obituart CDs and i love them. i have 1 krisium CD and its ok. i like cannibal corpse OK, particularly the bleeding. beyond that, all i know is that i dont care much for morbid angel.

are there any exceptional death metal bands/records that i should check out? and essentials?

most death metal LOOKS like it sounds the same, so i was just curious what bands are above the norm.

thanks.

The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph, Conjuration Of The Spectral Empire
In-Quest - Destination Pyroclasm
Death - Human, Leprosy
Aeternus - ...And So The Night Became, Ascension Of Terror
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Rune - The End Of Nothing
Demilich - Nespithe
Mithras - Worlds Beyond The Veil
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients, Consuming Impulse
Atheist - Piece Of Time
Suffocation - Pierced From Within

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated
Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering
Brodequin - Festival Of Death
Decapitated - Nihility
Deeds Of Flesh - Gradually Melted
Immolation - Close To A World Below
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy
Aborted - Goremageddon
Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
Nile - In their Darkened Shrines
Suffocation - Pierced from Within

Damn there isnt much left to recommend.

I love Vader so I recommend De Profundis, Revelations, Litany, and The Future of the Past.

Entombed is a must have, especially Clandestine and Left Hand Path

I really like Grave and Seance.

I'm just going to repeat a collection of people.

Definitely check out Vehemence, they have a few songs on their site for download.

Also check out Aborted, Deeds of Flesh, Suffocation.

am I blind or did no one mention Carcass - "Heartwork" ?

People already posted most of the others i would reccomend... but definitely check out "Elvenefris".. fucking awesome cd.

Any OPETH.. not pure death but if you havent heard them please do.

The Abyss
Bloodbath
Carcass (Heartwork, Necrotism...)
Cephalic Carnage
Dark Tranquillity
Dimmu Borgir
Dismember
Exhumed
Goatwhore
Gorguts
Impaled
Internal Bleeding
Morbid Angel (really have to give these guys another chance....)
Nile
Origin
Skinless
Vader

Yeah, all the good stuff has been mentioned!

Elvenefris....hmmmm. I suppose someone new to brutal stuff might like it, but it's worn very thin indeed for me. The melodies are too 'happy' sounding to fit comfortably with the brutal death approach, the 'egyptian' element is piecemeal and seemingly random, and the theme/lyrics are completely out of place. I appreciate spiritual strength and hope etc, but on a brutal death album....it really really doesn't work. I really only like one song nowadays on Elvenefris - A Step Closer. I'd say it's an ok album, but it's much too scattered and confused to be a great one.

Neuraxis are a similar, better band for brutal death/grind with melody, but even their songwriting is still a little underdeveloped. I'd recommend Truth Beyond nevertheless.

Best DM albums for you to check out:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Lord Gore - The Autophagous Orgy (The songs 'Morgue Whore', 'Zombie Molestation' and 'Post Coital Eruption' fucking rule.

Vital Remains - Dechristianize

Psycroptic - The Scepter Of The Ancients

Immolation - Unholy Cult

Demilich - Nespithe

Decapitated - The Negation

Debodified - Utopia In The Eyes Of A Beast

dirty_sandwich666 said:
Best DM albums for you to check out:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile YES!!

Lord Gore - The Autophagous Orgy (The songs 'Morgue Whore', 'Zombie Molestation' and 'Post Coital Eruption' fucking rule. meh....there's better gore metal albums around....namely Aborted's and Cannibal Corpse's latest!

Vital Remains - Dechristianize ok....completely overrated though. The title track is godly, the rest of the album falls over itself trying to copy it.

Psycroptic - The Scepter Of The Ancients YES!!!!!!!!!

Immolation - Unholy Cult YES! Don't miss Here In After either!

Demilich - Nespithe YES!!!! Have to love the burpz0rZ

Decapitated - The Negation NO!! if you're going to have some Decapitated, make it Winds of Creation or Nihility!!

Debodified - Utopia In The Eyes Of A Beast YES!!! Suffocation worship at its absolute best!

what are some dm bands that dont have the super-low cookie monster growls? i like bands like in flames, soilwork, and children of bodom. i like vocals like that, but all of the dm ive heard is ruined by the vocals. o ya i just signed up are we allowed to swear or will we get banned?

Death
Scarve
Zyklon
The Red Chord
Napalm Death
Nasum
The Berzerker
In-Quest
Misery Index
Kataklysm
Anata
Insision
Kaamos
Khonkra
Dismember
Nocturnus
Unmoored
Sceptic
Suffocation
Luciferion
Dissenter
Mithras
Spawn of Possesion
Wormed
Immolation
Eternal Gray
The Crown

metallislayer said:
what are some dm bands that dont have the super-low cookie monster growls? i like bands like in flames, soilwork, and children of bodom. i like vocals like that, but all of the dm ive heard is ruined by the vocals. o ya i just signed up are we allowed to swear or will we get banned?
hehe, swear as much as you want, this is an underground metal music community, almost anything goes. ;o)

meh, Children of Bodom aren't death metal, and newer In Flames and Soilwork are far from death metal.

I honestly don't think you're going to get far in DM if you don't like the basic generic vocals. I honestly can't think of a single DM band offhand that uses clean or semi-clean vocals most of the time........uhmmmm. Nope. :erk: