Traditional Metal

Maybe should be in the controversial opinions thread but: Both Slough Feg and Cirith Ungol are actually pretty overrated imo, don't get me wrong, they are both great and I own several albums by both bands but especially in circles that don't listen to alot of traditional heavy metal (I'm talking mainly about in crowd trad-doom fans now I guess) they are sometimes hailed as the be all end all of traditional metal. I dunno but I know alot of bands that I consider vastly superior.

Guess I'm being crucified now? :)

Manilla Road is the real deal though and deserv most of it's praise.

Albums:
Slough Feg: Twilight of the Idols > Traveller > Atavism
Manilla Road: Open the Gates > Crystal Logic > Gates of Fire
Cirith Ungol: Paradise Lost > King of the Dead > Frost and Fire

Why do you think that Paradise Lost is the best Cirith Ungol album? It does have some amazing songs, but it also has a few that are obviously the worst on any of their full-lengths.

Yeah it is very hit or miss and in reality King of the Dead is probably superior overall but I think the good songs on Paradise Lost are by far their best stuff which is why I rate it so highly.

I find myself turning to Slough Feg more than MR or Cirith Ungol tbh.

I like all three and do believe they're some of the best in the genre but very few bands get songs stuck in my head like Slough Feg.

Reactions: CiG
It's worth mentioning that something doesn't need to be popular in order to be overrated if the people who do know about it like it a lot and give it high praise, even though I don't think that Cirith Ungol is overrated at all.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Well obviously not overrated in the metal community as a whole, but in the clique that likes uspm, epic metal, doom, etc. for sure imo.

It's worth mentioning that something doesn't need to be popular in order to be overrated if the people who do know about it like it a lot and give it high praise, even though I don't think that Cirith Ungol is overrated at all.
Absolutely. But generally when you're talking overrated, it tends to be something rather popular, as the number of people who know of it tends to increase the chances of it becoming overrated. And, yeah, even as it is, it's almost impossible to overrate Cirith Ungol, they're not exactly a second rate band.

I hate to even include Manowar on lists like that because they went to shit so fucking hard after the first four.

If I were to list those it'd be something like...

Judas Priest > Mercyful Fate > The Dio Albums I Like > The Iron Maiden albums I like > Slough Feg > Manilla Road > Saxon > Accept > King D > The Dio and Maiden I dont like

As far as I'm concerned Slough Feg has been around long enough, they've been hugely consistent throughout their careers... they've earned their place in metal history.

Slough Feg after Atavism isn't very good, but up to that point they had a pretty amazing run that no other post-80s trad metal bands can match. I might put them over King Diamond tbh, Down Among the Dead Men and Traveller are at least on par with Abigail and Conspiracy (KD's two best).

Accept is a band that is just way too inconsistent. They have some absolute classic songs but even their best albums have really dull filler, and they only have a few good albums anyways.