Traditional Metal

I think I confused myself and actually meant Mercyful Fate, not King Diamond. But honestly even that might not be accurate anymore, as I really need to re-listen to the rest of Mercyful Fate's albums.

I've only bothered to listen to the first 2 Mercyful Fate albums since I have a hard time imaging that their other stuff even comes close to being as good. Don't Break The Oath is right up there with Sad Wings of Destiny as the greatest heavy metal record of all time.

Reactions: CiG
All Mercyful Fate albums are good, literally all of them. You're a goddamn false blinded by shit you've read on the internet if you think otherwise.

King D's first four albums range from good to great. I lose interest after that.

I liked Conspiracy the most out of the first five KD albums. I can't get into any other MF album other than the first two. The others don't have the aura of the first two.

I worship the first two Fate as pretty much unparalleled albums, but I could never get into any King Diamond post The Fatal Portrait. It all sounds so streamlined and Unholy Christ do I hate that falsetto.

^ :kickass:

It took me a while to get into King's vocals, but once I did, I was hooked! I feel they add to the general creepiness of the music. Plus, he still sounds fuckin amazing at his age!

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
i love his vocals also, my problem is generally with inconsistent songwriting. there are enough amazing highs for that not to be a dealbreaker though, especially on DBTO. i never really understood why so many people prefer MELISSA to DBTO.

^ :kickass:

It took me a while to get into King's vocals, but once I did, I was hooked! I feel they add to the general creepiness of the music. Plus, he still sounds fuckin amazing at his age!
And with how much he's smoked too, yet in spite of all that, I saw him deliver the whole Abigail album front to back, note for note, flawlessly, no playback or anything, plus several other vocally demanding songs from his prime. His falsetto is one of the most technically well-honed and emotively unique I've ever heard, and if you listen word for word to the lyrics and pay attention to the atmosphere, it becomes authentically unsettling at times.

Reactions: Atomic Tide
i love his vocals also, my problem is generally with inconsistent songwriting. there are enough amazing highs for that not to be a dealbreaker though, especially on DBTO. i never really understood why so many people prefer MELISSA to DBTO.
I adore every Mercyful Fate record, albeit Melissa and Don't Break The Oath more than the others, and the first five or six King Diamond records are out and out excellent to master classic for me. He certainly hasn't done too exceptionally for himself in the 2000's and 2010's in terms of new material, I'll give you that. Which is why the new record he's rumored to be cooking up is hopefully a qualitative rebound, cause Lord does he need it.

I love his last couple of solo releases, especially Puppet Master. The only solo albums I have issues with are Graveyard, Voodoo and maybe The Eye. As for Fate, not a huge fan of Dead Again or Into the Unknown. I also saw that recent Abigail tour (w/Exodus) and he was amazing!

I liked Conspiracy the most out of the first five KD albums. I can't get into any other MF album other than the first two. The others don't have the aura of the first two.

Holy fucking shit, ozz, we actually might agree on soemething there with the MF. I'm sure the other stuff is quite good and enjoyable and I definitely should check em out, but Melissa and DBTO are so fucking good it's like, why bother?