Traditional Metal

How do you all rank Dio's albums (solo career only)?

First time hearing Lock Up the Wolves as a complete album and I'm liking it a lot. Gonna give it a few more spins to be sure, but it's up there with Holy Diver and Last in Line so far.

1. Dream Evil
2. Killing the Dragon
3. Holy Diver
4. The Last in Line
5. Strange Highways
pretty big gap
6. Magica
7. Angry Machines
8. Sacred Heart
9. Lock up the Wolves
10. Master of the Moon

Something like that. Those top five are the only ones I listen to semi-regularly, the others mostly lack standout tracks for me and have some pretty big filler issues.

Reactions: JontRevolting
Of what I've heard:

Holy Diver (best metal album of all time. Flawless record)
Last in Line
Dream Evil
Sacred Heart
Strange Highways

Last edited:
How did it take me this long to listen to this? This finally showed up on Amazon Prime so I gave it a listen. Fucking RIDICULOUS!

LiegeLord-MasterControl.jpg

Yeah, Liege Lord is great. They still are solid live too, if a little on the bland side.

I really need to just totally get into NWOBHM and Speed Metal stuff. Blasting some Saxon right now holy fuck it feels just fucking right.

What kind of bands are you talking about?

Ozz I think the other Liege Lord release is a tad better, but they kinda wore out on me.

IIRC their releases are a bitch to find too. I love Saxon but some of my cd "remasters" sound like they were sourced from scratched vinyl and sound abysmal.

The first two Liege Lord albums are my preferred as well, but I bet Master Control would be Ozzman's favorite anyways.

Saxon is a band I sometimes consider revisiting but never end up doing it.

liege lord rules. i used to like FREEDOM'S RISE the most too but i haven't listened in a long while now, might rectify that. i don't think i've ever heard BURN TO MY TOUCH actually.

while we're on the subject of dio, what's everyone's favourite rainbow song/s? mine go something like...

1) gates of babylon
2) kill the king
3) stargazer
4) tarot woman

liege lord rules. i used to like FREEDOM'S RISE the most too but i haven't listened in a long while now, might rectify that. i don't think i've ever heard BURN TO MY TOUCH actually.

while we're on the subject of dio, what's everyone's favourite rainbow song/s? mine go something like...

1) gates of babylon
2) kill the king
3) stargazer
4) tarot woman

Stick Catch the Rainbow in at #4 and bump Tarot Woman down and that's my exact top 5 in correct order.