Traditional Metal

Rainbow is so much better than anything else with Dio, even though his Black Sabbath albums are great and his solo career has some good moments. My favorite Rainbow songs are the ones that were mentioned so far but in no real order.

Burn to My Touch
is also my favorite Liege Lord album. I agree that Ozzman would probably not enjoy the first two as much as Master Control, but all three are good albums.

Yeah I was just asking about Dio's solo career because I've heard all his Rainbow and Sabbath stuff

I'll check out Strange Highways and Sacred Heart next

I still haven't checked out the other Rainbow albums with Dio. Shame on me..

IIRC their releases are a bitch to find too. I love Saxon but some of my cd "remasters" sound like they were sourced from scratched vinyl and sound abysmal.

Agreed. They sound like shit.

Saxon has to be one of, if not the most overlooked metal bands ever. Not even sure why, considering that other than a couple of questionable efforts in the late 80's/early 90's, they have been incredibly consistent over their career.

Reactions: CiG
I may like this more than Master Control

1119.jpg

I;m a little late to the party....

Not taking anything away form his godly Sabbath albums, but Dio's best material was with Rainbow. And as much as i like solo Dio ... none of it even comes close to his stuff with those two bands.

My favorite Rainbow tracks are A Light in the Black, Gates of Babylon, Stargazer, Kill the King and Tarot Woman. Very similar to Old Wainds list.

Am I the only one who thinks Sign of the Hammer is the best Manowar album? I feel it is kind of underrated especially compared to Hail to England (which is awsome too ofcourse). I mean All Men Play On Ten and Animals are abit cheesy but after those it's just pure epicness!

Reactions: CiG
the trio of 'thor' through the title track + the closer are bonafide classics. those two and HAIL TO ENGLAND are pretty hard to separate imo, i'd probably favour INTO GLORY RIDE at a push (although that one also has a rough start before finding its groove) but it's close. one of the best bands ever when they were on their game. god, what an insanely gorgeous song 'mountains' is, maybe my favourite of theirs.

Am I the only one who thinks Sign of the Hammer is the best Manowar album? I feel it is kind of underrated especially compared to Hail to England (which is awsome too ofcourse). I mean All Men Play On Ten and Animals are abit cheesy but after those it's just pure epicness!

I'm right there with you, though I worship the first four Manowar albums in general, my favourites are the latter of the first four.

Reactions: Vilden
What so you guys think of Kings of Metal? I mean it is the definite album where youthful creativity is replaced by their hubris, but I love that album too. After it though, ugh..

Rainbow is so much better than anything else with Dio.

Any love for Elf? Little run of the mill, even in the realm of Boogie/Blues Rock I guess.

What so you guys think of Kings of Metal? I mean it is the definite album where youthful creativity is replaced by their hubris, but I love that album too. After it though, ugh..

Actually I much prefer The Triumph Of Steel to Kings Of Metal.

Kings of Metal has maybe two really good songs, a couple passable ones, and a whole lot of shit.