Traditional Metal

Heart of Steel through Pleasure Slave are 20 minutes of pure garbage.

My version doesn't have "Pleasure Slave" but I will give you "Sting Of The Bumblebee."

I love Heavy Metal ballads so I have no problem at all with "Heart Of Steel" and I don't see what you could hate about "Kingdom Come" or "The Crown And The Ring (Lament Of The Kings)," the latter being a fucking amazing song.

So where do I go for Warlord after Deliver Us? Love this one so much.

That's a no-brainer sir, definitely chase down And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun... which is their debut full length. Absolute masterpiece in my opinion.

Unless I misunderstood your question?

Reactions: Draehl
LOTT-600x600.jpg

These fuckers come out in costumes on stage (ie, they put on their wizard robe and hat). For all I know, they actually LARP and play D&D (which wouldn't be surprising). There are tinges of power metal here. Overall, for only hearing this band twice live and only one playthrough for this album, this is solid. This is going to get added to my 2015 best of list for the locals section.

Oh, yeah, I've played with Lords of the Trident. Their music is intentionally cheesy and over the top, but they have some damn good riffs and are super chill guys. I haven't heard that album yet though.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I;m a little late to the party....

Not taking anything away form his godly Sabbath albums, but Dio's best material was with Rainbow. And as much as i like solo Dio ... none of it even comes close to his stuff with those two bands.

My favorite Rainbow tracks are A Light in the Black, Gates of Babylon, Stargazer, Kill the King and Tarot Woman. Very similar to Old Wainds list.

You can still list your top Dio albums even if you like Rainbow and Sabbath better, but it's cool.

You can still list your top Dio albums even if you like Rainbow and Sabbath better, but it's cool.

Oh i was just responding to OldWaind's post ...

while we're on the subject of dio, what's everyone's favourite rainbow song/s? mine go something like...

1) gates of babylon
2) kill the king
3) stargazer
4) tarot woman

My favorite Dio albums are The Last in Line and Holy Diver. I also dig Dream Evil, Master of the Moon, Sacred Heart, Killing the Dragon and Lock Up The Wolves. Dont care much for the rest of his solo stuff. He has plenty of good songs scattered throughout his bands catalgoue, but i find most of his albums to be mostly average. When i want to listen to Dio, i usually go for his Rainbow or Sabbath material ... which i think is far superior to his "solo" work.

Reactions: Baroque
Rainbow is just wonderful, but I'd say that his work in Sabbath is really only slightly better than some of the jams on "Holy Diver'. I agree that a lot of his discography can be looked over, but those first few solo albums are just wonderful.

Out of all the stuff I own with Dio, this is how I place them in order:

Rising
Mob Rules
The Last In Line
Holy Diver
Heaven And Hell
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
Sacred Heart
Elf
Carolina County Ball
Trying To Burn The Sun

I think Lock Up the Wolves is greatly underrated. He had a guitarist on that album that appears on no other albums (except some super unknown band called DC4). The guy is a diamond in the rough, excellent riffage on that album. Especially tracks 6, 7, 8, 10 but the whole CD is good. Been spinning that every day in my car for over a week now.

^^ Fucking hell that rules, I haven't been very enthusiastic about hardly any new bands the last couple of years but Tarot I love. I'm gonna preorder that right now!