TSE X50 v1.0

John, I bought you a Beer! A Paypal one, not just an emoticon one.

You asked for clips. Here is one.

Here's a sample of your TSE808 into X50 on Guitars and BOD on Bass. The Main L and R Rhythm Guitars for the whole clip are your Sims. The secondary guitars that fade out at 30 seconds are real amp/cab.

It took only 20-30 seconds using standard 6505 settings for this tone (seriously I spent no more than that amount of time on the whole tone, so it could be better) including HP/LP and 2 tiny notches. The only difference I noticed between this and the real amp is the low end. It becomes a bit boomier than the real deal. The boominess can be heard around 20-23 seconds. That is with the Low on 7ish and the Low-end on 7ish Saying that, it kicks ass over any other sim I have tried. Well done.

D/L Link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24344836/Jaymz Opeth - GuitarHack TSE808 X50 .mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone could provide me DI's and reamps of the real 5150 (mk1) taken from the effects send output, I could make an attempt to improve it even further for the next update (boominess and gain).. I would be interested in clips of the following settings on the RED channel:
1. pregain/bass/mid/treble at noon
2. pregain/mid/treble at noon, bass on max setting
3. mid/treble at noon, bass on max setting, pregain on max setting
4. mid/treble at noon, bass on lowest setting, pregain on max setting
5. mid/treble at noon, bass on lowest setting, pregain on lowest audiable setting

The DI's used should ideally contain different elements (light picking, hard picking, palm muting (especially on low strings), chords)
I hope someone has the time to do this :)

Sorry I'm so dumb, but what do you mean by "MK1" and "MK2" versions? Does this mean that MK1 = 5150 (similar to 6505) and MK2 = 5150 II (similar to 6506+) or that MK1 and MK2 simply refer to two different schematic versions/revisions of the old 5150? Thanks for the sim btw, it's very cool.

Hey onqel, how do you go about making an amp sim like this? Does your method differ a lot from say Line6 when modeling an amp? Yours sounds at least just as good if not better than other companies who obviously have more resources than you. I was just wondering if you knew how other companies did it compared to you.

Mac version pleeease!!! :cry:

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please PRETTY PLEASE!!

Hey onqel, how do you go about making an amp sim like this? Does your method differ a lot from say Line6 when modeling an amp? Yours sounds at least just as good if not better than other companies who obviously have more resources than you. I was just wondering if you knew how other companies did it compared to you.

I can't speak for the other companies because tube emulation tends to be a well kept secret..my current approach is very similar to the way spice work, I write differential equations for each node and those voltages are solved in the plugin. Inside there are (virtual)vvoltages, currents and resistances that are formed by a network of virtual electrical components..

I can't speak for the other companies because tube emulation tends to be a well kept secret..my current approach is very similar to the way spice work, I write differential equations for each node and those voltages are solved in the plugin. Inside there are (virtual)vvoltages, currents and resistances that are formed by a network of virtual electrical components..

yeah I'd have no clue whatsoever on how to do that but thanks! You should make maybe another engl emulation....savage120 maybe? What is on your agenda anyways? Is there something you have in mind for a next release? ALso, are you going to continue to make these for free or will you charge for them?

I just tried the final X50 release today. I wasn't satisfied with the beta because it always felt more crunch than higain. But this is waaay heavier and fuller sounding. First amp sim i could like :D Good job!

I'm not sure if it is the pot taper. The 5150's gain knob is very tonal, and if I were to raise the gain on my 5150 from where it is now, I would get a lot more low end presence and a looser response. If I were to lower the gain to try and get closer to the TSE amount of gain, too much low end would get chopped off and the high mids would get too pointy and it wouldn't sound like the TSE anymore. Judging by the fact that the EQ curve of the TSE sounds within 5% of what I would consider to be an exact copy, I would guess that it has something to do with the amount of actual clipping gain that is capable with whatever software or tube emulation is being used. The TSE sounds like the exact same EQ curve, but a lot less saturation going on in the clipping stages. I don't know software and code like you do Onqel, I just know the amp, and that's my guess ;)

the audio/logarithmic taper on the VST is only an approximation of the ideal taper so there could be a big difference from the real taper. My initial thoughts was too little gain in the amp, and this makes my suspision even higher.. Because of the complexity of the interstage filtering between the impedance seen by the first tube in X50 might be too low compared to the real amp and causes less gain.. If someone could get me reamps of the settings I posted earlier I could verify and try to improve this in the next update :saint:

the audio/logarithmic taper on the VST is only an approximation of the ideal taper so there could be a big difference from the real taper. My initial thoughts was too little gain in the amp, and this makes my suspision even higher.. Because of the complexity of the interstage filtering between the impedance seen by the first tube in X50 might be too low compared to the real amp and causes less gain.. If someone could get me reamps of the settings I posted earlier I could verify and try to improve this in the next update :saint:

No I know what you mean, I was just thinking that since the gain pot resistance is working in conjunction with a discreet value of capacitance (the bright cap) placed across it, that there is an effect of impedance (tone change) relative to resistance (gain amount) in a directly related way even in your sim, if it's like you said where you copied the 5150 schematic.

I will do those reamps for you, to your specs. Give me a little bit of time :)

JakeAC5253: thank you! take the time you need :)

yeah I'd have no clue whatsoever on how to do that but thanks! You should make maybe another engl emulation....savage120 maybe? What is on your agenda anyways? Is there something you have in mind for a next release? ALso, are you going to continue to make these for free or will you charge for them?

I've always wanted to do a savage emulation, but there's no accurate schematic of that amp available.. I have asked myself so many times why the hell I'm doing this for free when I've been dead tired of programming :p I might release a non-free product one day, but I don't have anything in mind at the moment.. the reason I started doing this in the first place is because there was/is so much overpriced "garbage" out there, and I wanted to make software that met my own requirements, so far I'm happy that others get to enjoy it too without charge :lol: (some people might find my crap garbage also, but they have usually paid big bucks for the original gear or another commercial guitar suite )

first sim that ACTUALLY has Left to Right MOVEMENT and 3D quality.

WOW.

BTW, BOD 2.0 is fucking SICK as well. I ALWAYS use the orginal version and actually like it BETTER than the real thing. 2.0 is 10x better. insane.

BTW, an SD-1 emulation from you would be SICK. the last one to be done was the SimuAnalog guys and it's okay...

I've always wanted to do a savage emulation, but there's no accurate schematic of that amp available.. I have asked myself so many times why the hell I'm doing this for free when I've been dead tired of programming :p I might release a non-free product one day, but I don't have anything in mind at the moment.. the reason I started doing this in the first place is because there was/is so much overpriced "garbage" out there, and I wanted to make software that met my own requirements, so far I'm happy that others get to enjoy it too without charge :lol: (some people might find my crap garbage also, but they have usually paid big bucks for the original gear or another commercial guitar suite )

There is a legion of Mac users ready to donate when your plug-ins have been ported to AU. The soundclips so far sound awesome. Dying to try this and X30 out someday.