ulver

Liquid Diamonds said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, by saying 'no love for Kveldssanger?' I mean, you make a fair point, but I did mention it. Perhaps I misinterperet you.

Ah, the fault is all mine - when you mentioned it i read it to still be talking about the remixed song on A Quick Fix.

I'm going to assume that was said in jest. If so, then :lol:

If not, then :erk:

:erk:

derbeder said:
i have been disappointed with blood inside, by the way. the nattens madrigal vinyl still gets a lot more spins than that one. after the silence eps, the a quick fix ep, the soundtracks i thought they would not make such a left turn. they were talking about doing a remake of nattens back in 2003 with electronics and strings, but it seems to have fallen through. it's a shame...

Blood Inside is a very difficult record to penetrate, imhtbqho. From such minimalism to the rich density of BI is quite jarring...but not exactly unexpected. Ulver began as a black metal band, and while their experiments in restraint were excellent, it is only natural that they would crave intensity in their latest, especially after a 4 year gap. All i can say about the failed remake is that if you were a band that hadn't put out an album in a good long time, would you just want to touch up something you'd already produced, or create something all new?

the_3_toed_sloth said:
All i can say about the failed remake is that if you were a band that hadn't put out an album in a good long time, would you just want to touch up something you'd already produced, or create something all new?

I have been listening to Ulver since 99 and have been enjoying their development except for Blood Inside. The remake thing was talked about in The First Decade in the Machines in 2003 and i believe they said they would release it 2003/4 or something, well before A Quick Fix and the Svidd Neger soundtrack. They were releasing a lot of stuff at that time, so what you are saying can't really be the reason behind why they didn't finish the project.

oh, and about the remake

garm posts (at least he did) quite a bit on the head control system forum, and he answered the remake question

he said that it has long been dead, and will probably never actually be recorded

illidurit said:
ulver slays, I can't stand 99.999% of electronic music but they're one of the only exceptions

thats because Ulver uses electronics to create interesting and yet familiar atmospheres in a new way. where as most electronic music relies on the technology and that "electronic" sound for the atmosphere and delivery, which often comes off as shallow and lacking depth. Its almost like Ulver is making "metal" without using guitars, i think thats why theyre such a big crossover band for people not normally into electronic music.

I'd really like to get my hands on a copy of Metamorhosis. Very similar in style to Perdition City.

I emailed Jester Records about it, and they said it would be re-released, but noone could tell me when.

btw, I was just listening to 'Your Call'. An amazing track. I think it's my favourite off Blood Inside.

Everyone who loves Perdition City so much should check out Dead Cities by The Future Sound of London. That is the album which Ulver, *ahem*, borrowed a thing or two from when they were making Perdition City.

One of the tracknames on Perdition City is also an homage to Future Sound of London.

CAIRATH said:
Everyone who loves Perdition City so much should check out Dead Cities by The Future Sound of London. That is the album which Ulver, *ahem*, borrowed a thing or two from when they were making Perdition City.

One of the tracknames on Perdition City is also an homage to Future Sound of London.

correct. although its far from a straight jack..theyve borrowed/inspired by almost equally from acts like coil, throbbing gristle, aphex twin, nurse with wound, yada yada.

Coil and The Future Sound of London are obvious influences for Ulver. which reminds me that I should bring my Musick to Play in the Dark Volume I on the plane.

Garm has said that he thinks Ulver will never be more than a poor imitation of their influences. Not being overly familiar with some of these influences (Future Sounds of London, for example), can anyone possibly discuss that statement further? If the influences are so clear, then how well do the people on this forum reckon Ulver stand up in comparison with these acts?

the early songs of theirs are fucking brilliant slalbs of black metal.. but i'm interested in hearing their newer material.. i respect the fact they haven't restricted themselves to churning out black metal.