UM Hall of Fame July 2016 Inductions

l think Charlie writes most of the riffs for Anthrax doesn't he? And he's not a mediocre drummer in the slightest...really? the thing about this band was how tight they were. some killer riffs with a bit of humor. americuntz spelling <

l must admit l was never the biggest Anthrax fan boy but they write what l like especially early years.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
as much as i like The Chasm, i find it incredibly funny that they're up their in the second round with some of the most legendary bands of all time. Only @ ultimate metalz. I swear it almost completely delegitimizes this thread.

it'd be pretty boring if the UM list was identical to every other metal canon out there.

In your opinion. To me they easily count as a legendary band that belongs up there with the best metal has to offer.

In a genre where many bands with lengthy discographies release 1 or 2 great albums and then the rest of their albums are decent/mediocre, The Chasm stand out by having 7 full lengths that for me range from being good to among the best. They also have a grasp of melody and songwriting way above most other death metal bands.

I also don't think it's limited to GMD. The Chasm seem to be loved on all but the most mainstream of metal sites.

No, and i'm pretty sure its also the opinion of most metal heads that do not post here ...

Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
The Chasm
Slayer
Dio
Venom
Celtic Frost
Burzum
Death

.. that looks/sounds about right, no? :err:

I also don't think it's limited to GMD. The Chasm seem to be loved on all but the most mainstream of metal sites.

No one said they're not liked, just saying you will never find a list like this, regardless of what forum you go to. And you will never find this many Chasm dickriders(to a point were they are in the second round here) on any other metal forum, that is without a doubt. Just because me or you love a band does not mean they're supposed to be up there on a hall of fame list with the most legendary bands of the genre .... this isn't a "your favorite bands thread" bro.

Last edited:
Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
as much as i like The Chasm, i find it incredibly funny that they're up their in the second round with some of the most legendary bands of all time. Only @ ultimate metalz. I swear it almost completely delegitimizes this thread.

You're onto something here, obviously these hall of fame lists are entirely based on UM opinion, so it by definition deserves to be up there in that context, but it is pretty strange.

By no means do I dislike the band though.

they peaked with 'deathrider' as far as i'm concerned.

This.

I adore The Chasm, but I definitely am weirded out by them being inducted in the second class, ahead of bands like Megadeth, Atheist, Venom, Death, Morbid Angel, Dio, Rainbow, Saxon, etc.

No one said they're not liked, just saying you will never find a list like this, regardless of what forum you go to. And you will never find this many Chasm dickriders(to a point were they are in the second round here) on any other metal forum, that is without a doubt. Just because me or you love a band does not mean they're supposed to be up there on a hall of fame list with the most legendary bands of the genre .... this isn't a "your favorite bands thread" bro.
Agreed, especially the part about it not being a "your favorite bands" thread. You're supposed to select bands that are truly the creme de la creme of metal, with a bit of your own taste interjected.

I find it weird that some of you are against the idea of The Chasm being one of the best metal bands of all time. I can post you numerous top death metal album lists from RYM and other websites where Deathcult for Eternity is in the top 10/20. Hell, this very forum voted for for the best death metal albums and it came in the top 10 (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/gmd-votes-top-10-osdm-albums.962472/). So not only are they widely considered to have written one of the 10 best death metal records ever, they also have 6 other albums that range from good to great. Not many other bands in this Hall of Fame list can make the same claim, in fact a lot of them went on to record utter train wrecks of albums that disgrace their early works.

None of you have given any reasons as to why you think they shouldn't be there, apart from your personal opinions that they aren't as "legendary" as some of the others on there, or some shit. I can only think this is because they aren't as well known, which I don't think is a valid reason for them not to be there.

I'm aware that this isn't about voting for your favourite bands only, I haven't done that. I have voted for a mix of personal favourites and highly influential bands. If I'd only have been voting for favourites, I wouldn't have voted for Burzum so early, because I'm not nearly as a big of a fan of Burzum as I was a few years back. Credit given where credit is due though, Burzum belong near the top of that list. This thread was about voting for what GMD posters consider to be the greatest metal bands of all time, and obviously they consider The Chasm to be up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Butt
I'm no fanatic of The Chasm, but I see no practical problem with them being in hall of fame so early. It's completely democratic, and thus quite logical for them to be in there.

I find it weird that some of you are against the idea of The Chasm being one of the best metal bands of all time. I can post you numerous top death metal album lists from RYM and other websites where Deathcult for Eternity is in the top 10/20. Hell, this very forum voted for for the best death metal albums and it came in the top 10 (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/gmd-votes-top-10-osdm-albums.962472/). So not only are they widely considered to have written one of the 10 best death metal records ever, they also have 6 other albums that range from good to great. Not many other bands in this Hall of Fame list can make the same claim, in fact a lot of them went on to record utter train wrecks of albums that disgrace their early works.

None of you have given any reasons as to why you think they shouldn't be there, apart from your personal opinions that they aren't as "legendary" as some of the others on there, or some shit. I can only think this is because they aren't as well known, which I don't think is a valid reason for them not to be there.

I'm aware that this isn't about voting for your favourite bands only, I haven't done that. I have voted for a mix of personal favourites and highly influential bands. If I'd only have been voting for favourites, I wouldn't have voted for Burzum so early, because I'm not nearly as a big of a fan of Burzum as I was a few years back. Credit given where credit is due though, Burzum belong near the top of that list. This thread was about voting for what GMD posters consider to be the greatest metal bands of all time, and obviously they consider The Chasm to be up there.

i agree with TB that they're not nearly as widely canonised as the bands around them (although i suspect he underestimates how much their stock has grown over the past decade)... i just don't give a fuck.

I have never listened to a single 'The Chasm' song. I have listened to a bunch of albums, but none of their stuff has ever crossed my path. I guess I will give them a listen but I thought it was just a UM fluke being inducted in the 2nd round.

there was a core of users here circa 2004 who raved about them relentlessly and i think that's always kinda lingered (as in, either those same people have stuck around or new ones have been attracted/influenced by it). certainly isn't a new GMD phenomenon in any case.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Okay you glorious pukes, I've tallied the results and we've got a knockout class of inductees this time although it is a little on the slim side I must admit. This being due to the absurd 16 name long list of bands that got exactly 3 votes thus forcing me to exclude them from induction for fear of overabundance of inductees. One other thing, if a band you're nominating has a counterpart of the same name from a different country or subgenre, do ensure that you differentiate the one you're nominating from any others. As was the case with the Solstice votes this round, I just presumed they were all in favor of the British doom band as that was the first one cast and specified. I'd like to know in the future, as I wouldn't want to snub, say, the American thrash/death band Solstice for example from induction on account of a silly clerical error such as this. Enough of that though, here are your Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame inductees for the Class of July 2016:

Pentagram (5 votes)
Immortal (5 votes)
Testament (5 votes)
Saxon (4 votes)
Overkill (4 votes)

Be sure to check out the Hall of Fame Museum for all previous inductees and classes! http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/ultimate-metal-hall-of-fame-museum.1026011/

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery