UM Hall of Fame April '16 Edition

So you're basically saying that Darkthrone don't have their own original take on 80's metal?

I repeat, show me any band they sound very similar to, I'll even extend that to old bands. He's stated that he's naming his influences in an effort to perpetrate an underground resistance, he's attempting to bring forgotten/ignored bands to the forefront of the metal conscience.

This is all irrelevant to whether they sound good or bad of course. What did you think of the "Valkyrie" song I posted?

Reactions: The Butt
Apparently any band that is massively influential on multiple styles of music is just a footnote in metal history if someone says that they find them average musically. That sounds like a credible argument.

Just stop making an idiot of yourself. Nobody ever suggested such a thing, and your slavish resentment at my ability to think and listen for myself is repulsive.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's not any one band, but groups like Savage and Nausea seem to be two very prominent ones. His listing his influences to bring old 80's metal to the forefront is respectable, sure. But when he does it in what seems like a lackadaisical evasive maneuver away from writing out something comparable to Darkthrone's classic period? It's a little annoying. The other big issue is so many other bands are already doing it, and doing it much better. As for what I felt about Valkyrie? Aimless guitar goofing and amazingly butt fucking awful singing. And not in a good, "This is a cool and unique voice, just not conventional" sort of way.

Just stop making an idiot of yourself. Nobody ever suggested such a thing, and your slavish resentment at my ability to think and listen for myself is repulsive.

Explain why they are only a footnote. You have yet to do so. Your opinion that they aren't that good is all that you've offered.

Explain why they are only a footnote. You have yet to do so. Your opinion that they aren't that good is all that you've offered.

What else are you looking for? A deductive proof that they're just ok? I can elaborate on my position more if you like, but if your counterargument is just gonna be "well that's your opinion" then it won't matter if break down every single song.

Yeah, it is just your opinion. That doesn't make it any less nonsensical to try to call a hugely influential and well-liked band a footnote like they were barely relevant.

I know that you have your own thoughts and opinions, but that statement really doesn't make sense at all unless you ignore the breadth of their influence and how well they've been received by metal fans. They're still liked and still influential even today.

Yeah, it is just your opinion. That doesn't make it any less nonsensical to try to call a hugely influential and well-liked band a footnote like they were barely relevant.

I know that you have your own thoughts and opinions, but that statement really doesn't make sense at all unless you ignore the breadth of their influence and how well they've been received by metal fans. They're still liked and still influential even today.

The fact that other fans like them doesn't make their music any better. Even the fact your throwing that argument out there is pitiful. Talk to me when you learn how to think for yourself.

The fact that other fans like them doesn't make their music any better. Even the fact your throwing that argument out there is pitiful. Talk to me when you learn how to think for yourself.

Venom is well-liked and very influential. A popular and extremely influential band is not just a footnote in metal history. It has nothing to do with whether or not someone is an independent thinker. That isn't even a valid argument, especially because the very nature of a hall of fame implies the condition of being famous.

If that's your line of reasoning, then remove bands like Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road off your list and put Motely Crew and Skid Row. If you can't even be coherent with your own position of taking FAME literally (it's generally taken to imply greatness in the context of HoFs, which is a word that cannot be used to describe Venom) then shut up.

Anyone want to take over this thread, and the Hall of Fame in general? I don't really have time anymore, sorry
I wouldn't mind doing it. This is one of my favorite things on these forums along with the mixtape games. You let me know if you're cool with me being the operator, or if you want someone else.

If that's your line of reasoning, then remove bands like Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road off your list and put Motely Crew and Skid Row. If you can't even be coherent with your own position of taking FAME literally (it's generally taken to imply greatness in the context of HoFs, which is a word that cannot be used to describe Venom) then shut up.
"Greatness" can't be used to describe Venom? So you still have no argument other than your personal distaste for their music (which is perfectly fine to have, but you shouldn't be using it to dictate who you vote into the "Hall of Fame" of all things)?

I hope you reconsider. This is craziness to me, haha. I hope at the very least you own the albums and you're not just going off of some shallow experience via youtube or something.
I did own the albums, I listened to them each a few times and still found myself greatly discontented with them, so I've since sold them.

I picked bands that I like. I didn't argue against a band that definitely belongs in a metal hall of fame, which the bands that you named don't really represent.

Facts about Venom:
  1. They are extremely influential on multiple styles of metal. Bands as diverse as Metallica, Celtic Frost and Mayhem were influenced by them.
  2. They are generally well-liked by metal enthusiasts and have multiple albums that are highly regarded.
  3. They have historical significance and received a lot of attention from mainstream media. They don't exist in a vacuum of underground metal culture.
Tell me what about them makes them not worthy of being in a hall of fame aside from your minority opinion. The three things that I listed are more than enough for an internet hall of fame.

This. Also, what the fuck even is "norsecore" anyway?
Norsecore is a terminal illness afflicting a lot of black metal. It's essentially prioritzing the posturing of an image and putting it ahead of everything, music and all, to the point where the music suffers qualitatively. A lot of it is that pseudo-Satanism stuff, the kind that pretentious hacks like Gaahl espouse perpetually without having any real substantive and genuine commitment. So, perhaps Darkthrone isn't quite Norsecore, as they've never fallen into that hellish little vacuum. They've certainly had an issue with posturing their image into retro metal though (and away from black metal), to the point where some, including myself, would argue that their music is worse off for it.