Underrated Albums from famous bands

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
Some quality albums go almost completely unnoticed, unfairly.

I'm kick-starting this off with this:

Always loved that record. Almost every song is inspired and totally distinct, it's simple but cohesive, nasty in parts and ominously melodic in others, the lyrics and Benton's vocals shine through here probably more than on any other album for me.

BREEDING THE SPAWN
R-539042-1319743038.jpeg.jpg

This ^ album sorely deserved to be rerecorded, as well evidinced by the last track on PFW.
some dude remastered it.

Personally I think the following record, Pierced from Within, is a lot more interesting. Song-writing is riper and the tracks more distinct imo.

I've said this somewhere on here before, but Slayer's Divine Intervention is the most underrated album in their entire discography.

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
Personally I think the following record, Pierced from Within, is a lot more interesting. Song-writing is riper and the tracks more distinct imo.

Obviously, but Pierced from Within isn't underrated. Did you already forget the theme of your millionth thread? lol.

I'm kick-starting this off with this:

Always loved that record. Almost every song is inspired and totally distinct, it's simple but cohesive, nasty in parts and ominously melodic in others, the lyrics and Benton's vocals shine through here probably more than on any other album for me.

100% agreed here.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
some dude remastered it.

That guy used to live like 30 minutes away from me haha. Biggest death metal nerd in existence.

REINVENTING THE STEEL!!!!!

Tad underrated imo.
Agreed.

Here's another that comes to mind:

The previous records get most of the praise, most of the time. The song-writing maturity peaks here imo, the riffs are still amorphic but have a distinct identity simultaneously, "meaningful chaos" I suppose. There's a superb balance between sheer aggression and dark abstract progressive craftsmanship. Epic.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Type O Negative - Life is Killing Me. No idea why this one seemed to fly totally under the radar. One of their hookiest and most melodic albums, virtually every song has the potential to get stuck in your head. "Anesthesia" is one of the best songs in the bands repertoire and Steele's fuck everyone sense of humor is in full-force on "I Like Goils" and "Angry Inch".

Youthanasia by Megadeth.
Dance of Death by Iron Maiden.
Stained Class by Judas Priest. (although it's obviously a favourite among more insightful JP fans)
Formulas Fatal to the Flesh by Morbid Angel.
Christ Illusion by Slayer.
FOAD by Darkthrone.
Panzerfaust by Darkthrone.
Brave Murder Day by Katatonia.
Practice What You Preach by Testament.
Metallica by Metallica.

that's how it looks like for me.

Reactions: jimmy101
Cannibal Corpse - Gallery of Suicide
Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst
Incantation - The Infernal Storm
Bloodthirst is often recognized as being their peak. I dunno about underrated. I'd agree with Gallery of Suicide, I mean what metal band wrote a better instrumental than this:

I'd say for Cannibal, it's probably Gore Obsessed. You hardly ever hear about it, its songs are very largely completely obscure to anyone, and it got totally overshadowed by the following Wretched Spawn which had the DVD and the infamous Frantic Disembowelment clip etc. but Gore Obsessed is about as good in quality as any of those records they released.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
Personally I rank Gore Obsessed below the previous albums, but I do agree it's weirdly overlooked/neglected even by die-hards.

Youthanasia by Megadeth.
Dance of Death by Iron Maiden.
Stained Class by Judas Priest. (although it's obviously a favourite among more insightful JP fans)
Formulas Fatal to the Flesh by Morbid Angel.
Christ Illusion by Slayer.
FOAD by Darkthrone.
Panzerfaust by Darkthrone.
Brave Murder Day by Katatonia.
Practice What You Preach by Testament.
Metallica by Metallica.

that's how it looks like for me.
iyo, what makes this album good enough to be mentioned here ? I'd say Gateways for Morbid Angel, it was a lot more grounded and less messy/experimental than the previous Formulas, and it welcomed back a lot of the might that made MA in the first place, vocals were quite excellent, it's got a killer groovy opener....