Underrated Twilight gems

Nov 20, 2006
Chicago
Is it just me or is Twilight in Olympus severely underrated? Smoke and Mirrors (and occasionally Church of the Machine) are the only songs that ever seem to get any love, particularly in a live environment. I know that the band kind of threw this album together due to time restraints, but I feel it is completely overshadowed by Divine Wings of Tragedy. Does anyone care to share their two cents?

Smoke and Mirrors - Great song, but overrated. The solo section seems to drag on for too long. Not as overplayed as Of Sins and Shadows or (especially) Sea of Lies, though.

Church of the Machine - This song is bad ass! I know the chorus is hard to duplicate live, but it sounds great with just Russell singing it.

Sonata - Doesn't count. Pretty much just an intro to...

In the Dragon's Den - Certainly not the best song on the album, but much stronger than the three songs in the middle portion of Divine Wings. The solo section is wicked! Plus, bass solo!

Through the Looking Glass - One of Symphony X's strongest songs; a top five in my book. Judging from the live album, this song is incredible live, and it seems it was only played on the V tour and then dropped.

The Relic - Totally underrated. It may be cheesy power metal, but it has an energy that I believe would translate very well live. The chorus, solo section, and bass groove in the middle are awesome!

Orion - Another underrated gem. Bad ass intro riff, awesome keyboard throughout, a great chorus, and a wicked solo section.

Lady of the Snow - Yeah... this song bores me. I know it's a fan favorite, but it puts me to sleep. But I guess the verse is kinda cool.

I think it's a great album with no particularly weak songs. It'd be great to see some added to the setlist. But with them having so many great songs in other albums as well, it's not so easy.

The A phrygian (I think) riff in lady of the snow is awesome. Also through the looking glass is one of my favorite SymX songs.

lady of the snow bores you? my god i think that song is one of the greatest atmospheric achievements in the symphony x repetoire.

Yeah and this part always gets stuck in my head after listening:
"From the North, a mistress dressed in silvery blaze
The feel of her kiss steals my breath away
In the night, shadows dance through lucid doors
With a pale and frigid gaze"

No dude, Twilight imo is just average for SX standards.

Smoke and mirrors---just average. Sins and Shadows is bettereven if it is overplayed)

Church of the machine---Good, not great. I really like this song but i try and not let my opinion mess with how good the songs really is.

Sonata---Its cool....not much to say about it....

In the Dragons den--- I HATE THIS SONG!! For sure the weakness on the CD. I compare this song to Eyes of Medusa, but even that songs is better...

Through the Looking glass---as great as this song is, and as much as i love it, i must say i think this song is a little overrated. Its great, but its nothing compared to the other epic songs(like Divine wings of tragedy)

The relic--- This songs is really not that good man. At one point i really tried to make myself like it, and i tried to see if i could find the strength in this song, but its not that good....

Orion-the hunter--- Good. I like this song, but there is nothing REALLY special about it. Still good.

Lady of the snow---Good, not really a great closer for the CD, but its still got emotion in it. Not quite great.

Redragon

Smoke and mirrors---6/10

Church of the machine---7/10

Sonata---meh

In the Dragons den--- 7/10

Through the Looking glass---10/10 (one of their best songs in my opinion

The relic--- I can't even remember how this song sounds without referencing it....so 3/10

Orion-the hunter--- 5/10

Lady of the snow---8.5/10 (easily one of my top 10 favorite SX songs, possibly top 5)

(...)

In the Dragons den--- I HATE THIS SONG!! For sure the weakness on the CD. I compare this song to Eyes of Medusa, but even that songs is better...
(...)

I have to second this. This is the only song in the entire Sym X discography that I don't like. It's just never sat well with me.

Bah! Eyes of Medusa is an amazing song! The polyrhythmic grooves just kick my ass with awesomeness.

As for Twilight, I don't hold it up there with the best albums of SX. To me, SX have the 4 must-have albums: Divine, V, Ody, and PL.

I do still enjoy listening to Twilight, though. Orion the Hunter is pretty badass and has a lot about it that doesn't remind me of SX's sound.

Twilight is my second favorite disc from SX...my list goes

#1 Divine Wings
#2 Paradise lost
#3 The odyssey
#4 Twilight
#5 V
#6 Damnation game

also "in the dragons den" is a top 20 SX song in my book

That is one of the few albums i can listen to in its entirity when i push play, and when i hear that wind at the end of lady of the snow i always think...damn, its over.
and its even better when u do it and havent listened to it for like a couple of months.