VA pride

The evidence of Mitochondria being of seperate evolutionary origin than the rest of our cell line certainly raises some interesting questions about the origins of life. I wonder if other organelles weren't adapted into the cell design early on as well, and have just lost their own DNA, having been encoded in the main nucleic DNA

Seems plausible. Let us call up the ghost of Carl Sagan... oh right, nevermind. But he would know!

Carl: "I'm awesome."
NL: "Yes I know!"
our Time has come as well
But it's just illusory !
Again we'll be born out of the Beams
Of the Beams of Suns and cold Moons....
Then again the Lava of all Planets will spring out
And our Power , the Creating Power

etc.

ev6tkz.jpg

Not because of the pic, but because of the Maddox shirt underneath the robe.

"That's just crazy talk. He should be beaten around the head and neck."
Calm the zealotry!

I can't comprehend someone who thinks the world is 6k years old. Fossils? Dinosaurs? Oh yeah, "they were put here by God to test our faith". :lol::lol::lol:

No, beatings must commence.

I am the zealot.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Polar opposite, yet the same thing, not necessarily theologically speaking, but speaking of zealots....

The evidence of Mitochondria being of seperate evolutionary origin than the rest of our cell line certainly raises some interesting questions about the origins of life. I wonder if other organelles weren't adapted into the cell design early on as well, and have just lost their own DNA, having been encoded in the main nucleic DNA

It's possible, not too familiar with any of the evolution "theories lulz" about the other organelles offhand. There's a few simple Eukaryotes (can't recall the particulars) that are without mitochondria and it's likely that they just evolved from the same source for their unique organelles, just far different from what we gained from the Bacteria symbiote, evolving into mitochondria or chloroplasts, which are just too close to the Proteobacteria or Cyanobacteria to be coincidental.

It's possible, not too familiar with any of the evolution "theories lulz" about the other organelles offhand. There's a few simple Eukaryotes (can't recall the particulars) that are without mitochondria and it's likely that they just evolved from the same source for their unique organelles, just far different from what we gained from the Bacteria symbiote, evolving into mitochondria or chloroplasts, which are just too close to the Proteobacteria or Cyanobacteria to be coincidental.

What the hell does "offhand" mean?

/Peter Griffin off

Yes, a few of the protozoa have mitosomes instead of mitochondria, but the former seem to be derived from the latter in form and function. The difference is that mitosomes have no DNA of their own, and the genetic instructions for replicating them are contained in the nuclear DNA of the host cell. This is, in fact, what started me wondering about the other organelles in the Eukaryote cell line - were they once primitive proto-bacteria, swimming in some primordial soup? Perhaps it proved a useful survival tactic to band together with like organisms specialized for different niches in a unified cell. The ability to take advantage of a number of niches would have made for a formidably adaptable organism, just the sort of thing that might be able to survive a few billion years of cataclysmic changes to the Earth. The question in this scenario is why Mitochondria would maintain a DNA line while the other organelles gave up their individual genetic destinies to be part of a much more complex form of reproduction and evolution.

Hey if evolution didn't exist, nobody would get sick because our bodies would learn to fight off viruses and they couldn't evolve and find new ways to make us feel bad.

And speaking of Bill Nye, I just watched the 100 Greatest Discoveries which he hosted (got a free dvd of it from my job at the Discovery Channel Store). What a cool guy.

appdetailsciwn0.gif