Video Game Thread (Officially Unofficial)

Steam is grand because the American dollar is so fucking lousy. I've been buying shit up by the truckload since it's about 60% cheaper than local retail.

Impulse is just the new name of Stardock right? I thought they only carry games they've created? (Gal Civ, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc).

No, Impulse is Stardocks version of steam. It has working offline mode and they generally won't carry DRM nazi stuff and are very clear about what each game contains.

I'm just wanting to clarify if I can download a english version of the game if I order from germany or if I have to trick the system like I do with steam

some blahblah:
Impulse is the digital distribution platform from Stardock. It is concerned with offering convienence to the user, not treating them like a pirate. You don’t need to have Impulse running to play your game. You can back up your game to CD / DVD. If Stardock gets hit by an asteroid tomorrow, your copy of the game will continue to work even if you re-install. You can have it auto-update your software, or you can do updates when you decide it’s time to update. If ever. The choice is yours, not theirs.

It has all the advantages of Steam, and none of the annoying artificial restrictions. It’s convenient and treats you like a customer instead of a foe.

Steam will, of course, still have the more robust selection of games, but I just wanted to point at what Stardock is doing and say, “These guys are doing it right.”

What is Goo? Goo stands for Game Object Obfuscation. What it does is allow game publishers to encapsulate their game's executable file together with Stardock's Impulse Reactor virtual platform in a single encrypted file. When the player starts the game for the first time they enter their email address and serial number and that's it. The game is tied to that person, as opposed to being locked to any one piece of hardware.

oh yeah: and it does carry other games, but not everythign thats on steam. But the list is growing as more people consider it and digital distribution gets more power and is considered less OMGPIratez

Yeah.. what I meant was it used to be called Stardock. (The system they used before Impulse)... in fact I think that's still what's on my machine at home.

That does sound better than Steam though. I should check it out.

just finished uncharted 2, best game i've played since, well some game i'm probably overrating because of nostalgia
insanely good!

In case someone missed this old piece of news:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotten a new computer so I can play the latest gamezzz too (which means me and mike ends up with bf2142 :loco: ) but now I can't seem to find any fun ones that are actually out. WTF!!!

BF2142 is awesome. I still get the itch to play it sometimes.. I love those hybrid helicopter/jets.

There's a few fun things coming out in the next few weeks.. Borderlands, Dragon Age, Torchlight..

My roommate is playing Borderlands as I type this. He says it is rad. I hear Brutal Legend is actually kinda crappy. Seems the Metal-ness is its real selling point and not really the gameplay.

I hear Brutal Legend is actually kinda crappy. Seems the Metal-ness is its real selling point and not really the gameplay.

I heard some say that they were disappointed at first but then it started to rock, so I will probably get it one of these days..