Viking Metal

Really all you need in this genre is: Bathory, Enslaved and Eluveitie. Tyr are real good in a "clean vocal and progressive epic way." I didn't see anyone mention Moonsorrow, not considered Viking, but pagan. I think their overrated, but you might like them.

Eluveitie are a long shot from viking metal, I think... a good band though.

Tyr get boring after a while, I think; but they definitely have some epic stuff. They remind me of a slower, less interesting Falconer.

I didn't mention Moonsorrow because I didn't think they were viking metal, but you're right; they're definitely pagan. Personally, I love Moonsorrow. But I can see how someone would get bored with them. The song "Jumalten Kaupunki/Tuhatvuotinen Perinto" is just epic as fuck.

Really all you need in this genre is: Bathory, Enslaved and Eluveitie. Tyr are real good in a "clean vocal and progressive epic way." I didn't see anyone mention Moonsorrow, not considered Viking, but pagan. I think their overrated, but you might like them.

No. They suck.

To deny the awesomeness of Eluveitie is to deny the awesomeness of the hurdy-gurdy. To deny the awesomeness of the hurdy-gurdy is to take the joy out of life

Yeah, to bad it\s the main instruments and the vocals that are the shitty part.

Did you even know what a hurdy Gurdy was before this band?

Yeah, to bad its the main instruments and the vocals that are the shitty part.

Did you even know what a hurdy Gurdy was before this band?

Yes, as a matter of fact.

And we're gonna have to agree to disagree on their quality. But at least we can agree that they are in no way viking metal.

well were bathory ever considered viking metal ?? if you wanna hear some kick ass viking metal bands i would say bands along the line of amon amarth turisas finntroll and so on

I would be very suprised if you don't enjoy Crom from Germany btw. Listening for the first time now, great stuff.

Does this apply to all "Viking Metal" bands. Or would a band like ensiferum be classified as folk metal, rather than black?

Yeah, there's like black/viking(I think people call it Pagan Metal) and then there's Folk Viking. I would say old ensiferum is folk viking while old Manegarm is black viking.

well were bathory ever considered viking metal ?? if you wanna hear some kick ass viking metal bands i would say bands along the line of amon amarth turisas finntroll and so on

Bathory's album Blood Fire Death is usually considered to be the first viking metal record.

Finntroll are more folk than viking.

Turisas are great I think, but I don't think a lot of people here are big fans.

epic-fail.jpg