Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Pyaemia: yeah thats what the Edda talks about. its the king Gylfi. we know about the norse tales thanks to that king who came to valhalla and met Odin who told him all. if i remember correctly he doesnt know its Odin he's talking to, and Odin duplicated himself in three persons all sitting on his trone or something.

Yes yes, thats it! LOL What is the name of that text? Wich edda? Can I read it ont eh net? This one was very interesting to me... I got such fascination wich this stuff!!!! Ta tu lue un Edda en francais? Si oui laquels?

Celtik Militia said:
Pyaemia: yeah thats what the Edda talks about. its the king Gylfi. we know about the norse tales thanks to that king who came to valhalla and met Odin who told him all. if i remember correctly he doesnt know its Odin he's talking to, and Odin duplicated himself in three persons all sitting on his trone or something.

@Pyaemia

that could also be the Gylfaginning written by snorri sturluson. That whole story is sth. like an introduction to norse mythology. Yeah it's interesting - but you should know that snorri wrote that with distance but as a christ...

Yes I found it on the internet and it is Gylfaginning. Arent 100% of the now known text christianized?

Blutaar said:
@Pyaemia

that could also be the Gylfaginning written by snorri sturluson. That whole story is sth. like an introduction to norse mythology. Yeah it's interesting - but you should know that snorri wrote that with distance but as a christ...

yllmar said:
Holy shit, I've got to get this! :kickass:

I've been watching the Beowulf animated version that is due to come out next year, but I had no idea that this was already out!!!

Indeed, it is playing in Canada so far...
but I am waiting for it to start playing here, hopefully.

oh its just in Canada for the moment.. thank Belenos. i was wondering if it just wasnt gonna show in France cause i had noticed its a 2005 movie so i was scared it wasnt gonna come out here. now i still have hope.

I've been digging through tons of Slavic mythology related text lately and I got surpised by how many new things i found out.

(I know it's not quite "viking" but its closely connected to norse mythology)

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Isn't Asynja a female "Aesir"

OK, so I've asked around a bit, just cuz I was curious
myself as to how this applies to freja and all that.
Here is the consensus:

It means "goddesses" in general. It is related to the
Aesir and Vanir by association, culture and language
as "our language/our gods/goddesses."

That's the best I can do for you for now.

Feraliminal Lycanthropizer said:
How do you make grog?
GROG 1
2 ounces dark rum
1 cube sugar
3 cloves
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 slice lemon
Boiling water
Directions:

Place all ingredients except boiling water in an 8-oz mug.

Stir to dissolve the sugar, leaving the spoon in the mug.

Pour in boiling water to fill and stir.

Grog 2
1 shot rum
1 teaspoon sugar (preferably superfine)
Squeeze of lime juice
Cinnamon stick
Boiling water
Stir all ingredients, adding enough boiling water to fill mug or glass.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
THank you... but to tell you the truth: I'm not sure of what I asked except for if "Asinja" is the female form of "Aesir" which it is - right? But you are trying to find the female form of "Vanir" - no?

Yes, still have not found one. My thinking is that there would presumably have been more than one vanir woman. What would they have been called, as a group? Apparently Freja, the only vanir woman in asgård, would have been referred to as an asynja.

On grogg:Apparently, the Swedish definition of grogg is a drink that is made up of two components - an alcoholic part and a mixer part. To qualify as grogg, the mix has to constitute less than half of the volume of the total volume.

He he...That was actually why I looked up the definition, way back when, cuz I know that when my dad used to say grogg, he didn't mean one of those drinks that the definition applies to!

My friend told me that vikings didnt actually wear those helmets (with the two horns on) and I dont really believe him....does anybody now?

Chris_TeT said:
My friend told me that vikings didnt actually wear those helmets (with the two horns on) and I dont really believe him....does anybody now?

Your friend is right.
The celts knew that kind of helmet.
But they weared these helmets only in rituals and ceremonies. Think, why should they wear such a heavy and uncomfortable helmet the whole day?

In battle they used helmets like this one:

p32-viking-helmet.gif

Because it would have been very dangerous to fight with a horned helmet.

Norse helmets were made of metal or leather and had no horns on them. Only rich people could afford helms, as with any armour, in the first place.

Horned helms are depicted on some picture stones from the early iron age. That doesn't mean that people wore them, though. It could mean that the depiction is of a specific god that is closely associated with this (a code we no longer know how to understand), or it could be something that someone wore during ritual, such as a shaman. Both things are done in many non-judeo-christian religions today. As archaeologists we find many things that look like weapons or armour but that serve no functional purpose (such as battleaxes made to look like stone, but that are actually made of clay, and so cannot cut, or weapons that look like metal but are actually made from stone, since people had seen them used in ritual and wanted to use such things themselves in their own ritual, but before they had learned to extract the metal itself). They have generally been used for ritual purposes, to represent a god or goddess, we think.

Got another question!.
I recently typed in pagan on yahoo images and noticed the pentagram comes up a lot...I allways just thought the pentagram was a symbol for evil (satan) and never realised it had anything to do with the pagan religion.