Viking mythology and all that goes with it

No, I doubt the report is done yet. Sometime in the fall, maybe. There are already books on the dig, as it's been going on for quite some time, but they're mostly in Swedish. I will let you know when I know. As far as I know, the one poking out of the ground in that pic is an adult. The "sutures" on the head were grown together, the way I recall it (which would indicate an adult). How do you like the size of that axe the child was buried with (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolly82arkeolog/167637742/ and http://www.silvestris.net/images/photos/ajvide/vecka2/den-lille-overkropp.jpg)? Pretty impressive grave goods for a little one, huh?

Tyra said:
No, I doubt the report is done yet. Sometime in the fall, maybe. There are already books on the dig, as it's been going on for quite some time, but they're mostly in Swedish. I will let you know when I know. As far as I know, the one poking out of the ground in that pic is an adult. The "sutures" on the head were grown together, the way I recall it (which would indicate an adult). How do you like the size of that axe the child was buried with (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolly82arkeolog/167637742/ and http://www.silvestris.net/images/photos/ajvide/vecka2/den-lille-overkropp.jpg)? Pretty impressive grave goods for a little one, huh?

Hey nice, yeah impressive! and YOu worked on that dig?! nice!!! btw, the second link is broken.

Sorry to say, but the Sami finds have often been misenterpreted in the past, mainly due to political reasons. When the archaeologists of the past found remains of complex societies living up north, and whose culture was unified as far south as Dalarna, this was interpreted as non-Sami. First of all, the Sami of the time didn't live that far south at all. Second, the sami culture was oppressed in the political climate of the era, and for people to admit that the sami had been there just as early as the "Swedish" settlers in Skåne, one would have to re-write large parts of the country's pre-history. Third, carbon dating as we know it today was not invented until the fifties. Fourth, it was thought that the ice cap covered all of Norrland. Who would live there?
This has been a political hot potato, just as Kennewick Man, Spirit Cave and other caucasiods in North America are to the Native Americans. Land claims and fishing and hunting rights are at stake. This is no political joke. And so, it wasn't really until the 1990's that the scholarly community was ready to accept that the sami culture is at least as old as the one in Skåne, and as of this year, we have even further evidence of this with some astonishng new petroglyphs waaaay the hell up north. Even today, though, when you look at the new archaeological papers and research that's being done in Sweden and Norway, you'll find that the amount of research done on Götaland and Svealand is proportionally huge in comparison to that done on Norrland. The population down south is bigger, so spawns more scientists. To boot, the major universities, who sponsor the digs, were all located down in Uppsala or lower on the map, and up until the University of Umeå's archeo department started to really kick ass, there hasn't been much research done up north, Sami or no Sami.
The signs of a Sami culture being there much earlier than was originally thought, and of it being spread much farther south than had ever been expected, are IMO, so overwhelming, that coupled with the new evidence of the last few years, the theory of "Swedes first" can pretty much be put to rest.

No, they didn't come to Skåne, to the best of my knowledge, and they came from a different direction. If I'm not remembering this wrong, the cultures that settled in Skåne came from the south and/or south-east, whereas the Saami came from the north-east and/or from northern Finlad down into Norway and then up again to Norrland.

Good! But wait... South-East... - Prussia?! Even better! No but really, do you know good sites about the migration period and the sttling of Sweden etc? Haven't found anything more developed than the basics, so any tips would be much appreciated.

Yes, I can probably find you some good papers availible on-line. There are loads of books, too, though. Will the names of them help any?

You'll hate these papers, but it gives you an idea of how the languages arrived:
http://www.algonet.se/~elert/SVH4V2FG.html
DNA can be found here:
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJ...0783.web.pdf?erFrom=-1723652209826457392Guest

Most of the stuff I use is in scholarly journals or in books, unfortunately. I'll see if I can come up with something better (I know there is stuff on-line that I've used but I never made reference to it in the article because I never quoted, so I'll have to search), but right now, I am kind of shattered.

HAHAHAHA the Havamal for new yawkas

Stanza 35
A houseguest must go, continuing the journey
and never sleep on the same sofabed twice.
If he sits too long In another's Lay-Z-Boy
He goes from loved to loathed.
A guest must depart again on his way,
nor stay in the same place ever;
if he bide too long on another's bench
the loved one soon becomes loathed.<---I can say that I am dealing with this right now...words of common sense indeed :)

Personal fave, cracks me up every time:
Stanza 5:
When you leave the house, don't forget to wear your thinking cap
At Home, you can walk around in your underwear
Aspiring writers make fun of simple minded people
when they attempt open mike poetry slam in the Village.

Sounds like this forum, don't you think?

Tyra said:
Personal fave, cracks me up every time:
Stanza 5:
When you leave the house, don't forget to wear your thinking cap
At Home, you can walk around in your underwear
Aspiring writers make fun of simple minded people
when they attempt open mike poetry slam in the Village.

Sounds like this forum, don't you think?

If you get your ass out here Lisa and I will take you to the city to see for yourself, hows that???

Yeah, I know. I want to go see Hengis, too. Miss him like snot. It' a money issue, though, as I am now having to make sure I've got money saved up in case I have to go home in the next couple of months (for a much less joyful reason, if you know what I mean).

Tyra said:
Yeah, I know. I want to go see Hengis, too. Miss him like snot. It' a money issue, though, as I am now having to make sure I've got money saved up in case I have to go home in the next couple of months (for a much less joyful reason, if you know what I mean).

No, I know exactly what you mean, make sure you keep us posted,ok? You know we got your back and if you need anything just let me know, ya' hear.

Sleipnir said:
No, I know exactly what you mean, make sure you keep us posted,ok? You know we got your back and if you need anything just let me know, ya' hear.

Aye, we wish you all the best for that.

:)