Viking mythology and all that goes with it

i´m not sure but it might be also correct, i mean, different tribes from the same area having different traditions that at some point combined together and then were copied...anyway,to clarify my source of information: I was watching one of my beloved programs of handcrafts(?) and they wre teaching how to make your own tree balls, and then they explained the story about them...and although the program is pretty good one there could be innacuracies on the story...

Never heard of this tradition. I've always heard that the folks decorated theirs houses with fir and spruce branches to honor Balder. The evergreens symbolized the belief that Balder will live again.

The holly was hung in the windows and doors to protect against the bale-worms (evil serpent spirits). They would get caught on the prickles of the holly leaves.

In my blog "Taking back the Yule" I pointed out that the reason it's so difficult to "put the Christ in Christmas" is that he never belonged there in the first place. 90% of Christmas traditions are from ancient Norse origin.

Runesinger
Hi Miss Runesinger! Sorry I never got a chance to get back to you. But you know who I am anyhow, right? Welcome to the board!

Ikki, I have not heard about this custom either, but it might be a pagan custom from another pagan tradition or from within the German branch of things. Mind you, I think Runesinger is pretty well versed in that version, so I'm probably wrong.

yeah, i think you probably are more right about these questions as you seem well literated about the whole thing, if you tell me that´s not true i believe you:) because, i like to know the traditions and tales, but unfortunately for me, the ones i know verse more about xtian stuff than any other thing, my other knowledge is just from books that i have read to entertaint myself, but nothing like real history or so...but i promise promise promise that the girl on telly told that!!!

Why does Amon Amarth spell Odin with an e? They spelled a lot of other things differently too like Valhalla

Artistic liberties? Valhalla is English for Valhall. Odin is the accepted English spelling for Oden, just as Loki is the accepted spelling for Loke. One is Swedish, one is Icelandic. Sometimes the AA texts use the Old Norse spelling because they are about Old Norse topics, sometimes the Swedish spelling because the band is Swedish, and sometimes the English because the lyrics are in English.

Not on your life! Runesinger and I know eachother in "the real world", and I consider her a friend. We may occasionally have differing opinions on some of the finer points, but we are pretty much used to debating things back and forth until we come to some kind of consensus or agree to disagree. I think it's generally a good idea for more than one person to have the floor, because the opinions of one more often than not compliments or completes the other's picture. Besides, this is supposed to be a forum, not a personal web-page...

Not on your life! Runesinger and I know eachother in "the real world", and I consider her a friend. We may occasionally have differing opinions on some of the finer points,
And women never get upset at small, unimportant things. Ever.

but we are pretty much used to debating things back and forth until we come to some kind of consensus or agree to disagree.

Yeah that's what you think.

'Nuff said! Muahahaha

I have an etymology question...
My nickname to a few people is Jörundr, I always figured this was connected with Jörmungandr (also connected with the typical 'Io' spelling) - I've found out that the Jör goes back to the root 'Jara' which is battle (I think)

But what does the last part mean? I've read it as being conotated with 'under/vindr"....I'm assuming this is conected with "warrior"? (This is just based of of the Valfar ein Windir tribute cd). Am I correct....there has to be more to it, can anyone clarify?

"Gandr" means staff, magicians staff, wand and wizardry. In Voluspá, Jörmundgandr is a kenning for "the huge staff". I think the word is also connected with the word for the giants, Jötnar, who are a "huge" species.
I believe it's in Heimskringla that there is a character named Harekr gandr - Harek the Magician, and the word features in Egil's poetry and also on at least one rune inscription that I know of. Supposedly, when Tolkien wrote LOTR, he made up the name Gandalf by putting the words gandr and alf together.
Anyhow, Jörmund is a staff, and gandr is it's huge size.
Other words with the word gandr, just for fun (Gawd, I'm weird):
gondull - penis in ON
gånder and gångel - large branch, even in some modern Swedish dialects
gand and ganda - large, dry pine in Finnish-Swedish, also mast in FS
gandreid - OS for riding on a staff

And women never get upset at small, unimportant things. Ever.

Yeah that's what you think.

'Nuff said! Muahahaha

Who, me, get upset? Never! Haven't you read those lyrics I wrote that one time? I am a very un-upsettable bit...ähum...woman. :erk: :lol:
Pagan, the woman is Norwegian. Need I say more? What's that joke about that Norwegian guy again? Shit, I had better not go there, or Johan will bar me from the forum. He's part Norwegian, too. Damn it.

Who, me, get upset? Never! Haven't you read those lyrics I wrote that one time? I am a very un-upsettable bit...ähum...woman. :erk: :lol:
Pagan, the woman is Norwegian. Need I say more? What's that joke about that Norwegian guy again? Shit, I had better not go there, or Johan will bar me from the forum. He's part Norwegian, too. Damn it.

Hej Tyra,

Yah, we know each other in real life. I don't think I have too many differing opinions from you. I just look at things from the Norwegian side of the border and you look at them from the Swedish side. I'd say, mostly we just share information with each other. :lol:

Thanks for the nice welcome. I thought I'd join in all the fun you're having here. Unfortunately, I have some major projects at work that are eating up my time, so I don't think I'm celebrating the Yule adequately. I managed to put together a bit of a Yule-eve, and I took a picture to share with you.

YuleItems.jpg

On the left is the need-fire kindling, made of nine kinds of wood. In the center is Landvettir or Tomten offering of nuts, apples, and of course, Norns' Porridge. On the right is the Yule log, so big I can barely crowbar it into my fireplace (Hope I don't burn the house down). Happily, there was enough Norns' Porridge left over for me to eat too (Tina, is your mouth watering?). That was after a supper of pickled herrings in sour cream, beetroot, pepperkakor and bleu cheese, and mead.

I have two little dogs, and they must have a taste for Norns' Porridge, because they were practically tearing the skin off my leg, scratching to get to the Norns' Porridge. So in the end they had their little bowls of Norns' Porridge too.

Runesinger

Nice! How am I going to sleep now that I am starving, though? All I had was damn Swedish meatballs and baby nugget potatoes with a cream sauce. Oh, and lingonberries. The pickled herring and ham and pork sausage and lutfisk and mini sausages and glögg and Norn's porridge will not happen until after the kids have successfully survived another g**da**mo****f***ing mandatory Christmas concert tomorrow. That is providing we have power after the storm. BBQ'd lutfisk somehow doesn't sound so appealing.

Hey... I came up with an actual question that haven't quite been able to figure out on my own. Is Loki of the Aesir or no? Seems everything I read contradicts itself on that. :)

Loki is a jotun but is counted among the Aesir just as Skadhi and Aegir are. There is one passage in Lokasenna that refers to Odin and Loki being blood brothers.

9. Odin! dost thou remember
when we in early days
blended our blood together?
When to taste beer
thou didst constantly refuse,
unless to both ´twas offered?