Viking mythology and all that goes with it

The bind rune thing could work, Hagalaz and Isa seem fitting, but comes out looking sorta boring :p
Hagalaz_Isa.gif

yes they look boring lol

as i said i tried the 4 runes, that gives roughly this
hela.jpg

it is maybe a little more interesting but its really the 2 bars borders of the runes hagalaz and enwaz that keep the rune from a certain liberty.. if you see what i mean.

although i really like the association you made with halagaz and isa, and maybe i would add laguz, for the reverse of this rune, from the site you linked, is :
Storm, flood, waves, corrosion or other destructive action of water. Danger of sinking or drowning.
i know there is no drowning in Hel - or maybe im wrong, anyway - but if there is isa, i think there should be laguz too. Nifelheim is still an iced, dangerous kingdom.

hela2.jpg

i like the first one... but i think there is still something not.. right. : /

another question.. i am again blocked in image composition but i think ive found the solution. although, out of curiosity, i was wondering, were there columns in norse gathering hall? like in Edoras the main city of Rohan in Middle-Earth, Lord of the Rings.. if youve seen the second movie, the hall is all sculpted, and have columns.... is there really such a thing in norse great halls?

No, you don't want to invert the laguz like that - do not turn runes so they face the wrong way, because it changes their meanings. What about if you take the laguz and put it to the left of the hagalaz? Then you can continue the downward stroke of the laguz to make it the "crossbar" of the hagalaz, as if they were one rune, and still put the isa in the middle or wherever you want it (since you can't really invert an isa, it won't matter which way you face it).

another question.. i am again blocked in image composition but i think ive found the solution. although, out of curiosity, i was wondering, were there columns in norse gathering hall? like in Edoras the main city of Rohan in Middle-Earth, Lord of the Rings.. if youve seen the second movie, the hall is all sculpted, and have columns.... is there really such a thing in norse great halls?
Yes, there are three pillars in the main hall. It has to do with construction (as in how the buildings were made before they were timbered in the way we do things now), but it also took on a religious meaning. It was one of the first things that changed with the conversion - the mode of building changed at approximately the same time as the conversion happened, but the three pillars were removed even in halls built in the old fashion. They knew how to build longhouses in may ways, but they seem to have stuck to one specific type while they were heathen. The halls were shaped like a boat, and the boat, as you probably know, had religious meaning in the Scandianvian neolithic. Many of the parts had names with religious meanings, such as the corner pillars, which were named the same name as the gods, "asir", and the hearth, which shared it's name with the common altar (arinn, I think). The three pillars sat directly behind the high seat and were thought to be connected with the gods. These pillars do not seem to have served any real purpose this late in history (although I think they did earlier on, in the neolithic, but I can't swear on it). Like I said, the pillars were the first to disappear with then coming of the new faith, and then the ancient old way of building houses like this, which had reigned supreme for thousande of years before then, disappeared altogether in a matter of 200 years (except for in Iceland!).

well as i want the old fashion, as maybe you recognized i took the 'elder' drawing of the runes, it fit perfectly with that empty space i need to fill hehe
thanks again Tyra ^^

hmm.. where is the third column? the host seat face the door, obviously, 2 columns can flank the door, but the third??? cant be in the middle ? : / it would obstruct the line of sight wouldnt it?

and for the religious meaning of these columns... Odin, Thor and..? Tyr maybe?

Hi!
Ozmo:Although, technically speaking, I am not opposed to practicing the art of babymaking, there are two obstacles in the way here: The first one is my husband, and the second one is that I am likely old enough to be your mother. Since I have only brothers, I can’t offer up a substitute sister (although Johan is very cute, I do not think he’s like it, even if we threw an old goat skin over you, and I’ve already promised my “chosen sister” to someone else), but if you can wait a few years, my eldest daughter is a carbon copy of me, and she’s a blazing Norsewoman in the making… I’m thinking you might have to engage in battle to make your way to the front of the line for her attention, though (help!).
Re the tattoo: I do not feel comfortable enough with my ON skills to weigh in – I can understand the language, sort of, when it’s written or spoken, but I cannot make my own sentences very well. Sorry! Mind you, I can ask Johan, he might know, cuz maybe the guys in the band got the name from somewhere specific.

Hey Bates, were those rune stones good enough? -T

Sounds like you're going to be wishing for a complement of huskarls to keep your home and daughter secure in the near future. :lol: Preferably ones who like sheep or something. :p I'm rather glad all mine came out male, hehe. They come with their own issues, but at least I don't have to be all, "That's my daughter, you little something-or-other!". Too bad I can't just say "Here's a sword and $300. Don't come back until you're rich!" Worked for my parents... well, it was a car and not a sword, but the idea is the same. :)

And I must be getting cocky, answering questions even you won't touch! I know my response is totally wrong, grammatically, but, well, it was a good exercise for my brain. The brain is like any other muscle, the only way to make it stronger is to work it until it hurts. And I like to play with the runes, in a strictly mundane way :)

I haven't really had a chance to check them (the picture stones) out fully, but they should do fine, I'm mostly looking for inspiration. The link for the one at the Gotland Lansmuseet doesn't work, however, and my Swedish isn't good enough to find it on my own :( It's a lot like Celtic knotwork, with less frills, Of course, I read somewhere that Celtic art was heavily influenced by the Norsefolk in Ireland, so that would stand to reason.

Bates, that is so damn weird! I can't get it to open either from the link I posted, but if you go inte google images, then type in "Bildstenar" it comes up on the first page on the same addy and all. It comes up in the second row from the top, in the far right. Try that, cuz it's the museum where all those stones are logged that runs that site.

Awesome, thankee much! Now for another question... have any idea what the appropriate way to introduce oneself before a Thing would be? The Barony Chronicler has asked me to do a piece for the local newsletter, and I'm trying to figure out what a persona appropriate introduction would be like.

I'm probably missing something really simple and stupid, but well, searching for 'Thing' is, well, hehe, hard to find the right kind of 'Thing'.

Edit: Old Norse, bro. :) Which can be further seperated into OWN (Old West Norse) and OEN (Old East Norse). OWN was spoken in Iceland and Norway, OEN in Sweden, Denmark, and the Danelaw. :)

Well thats a first. Here i expect you to slice me in two, or atleast have a few guys coming after me with huge axes. But instead I am offered the figthing chance of your eldest daugther, to bad she is that young otherwise i migth have taken you up on that offer.

I do however prefer my wenches legal and more, hmm what should i call it. Ah, submissive is the word i was looking for.

Beeing raised as a norse woman and all, my guess is that she would be far from submissive and that the phrase "OII!! Honey go grab me a guinness in the fridge. And make me a sandwich while you are at it!" would lead to severe axe trauma in the long run. :saint:

what about these columns please :) ive already draw 2 of them with all the details, flanking the entrace.. but i still dont know what to do of a third.

hmm.. where is the third column? the host seat face the door, obviously, 2 columns can flank the door, but the third??? cant be in the middle ? : / it would obstruct the line of sight wouldnt it?

and for the religious meaning of these columns... Odin, Thor and..? Tyr maybe?
OK, so you started me on a wild goose chase. Or in this case, a post chase.But don't feel bad, because it was fun and I learned lots in the process:
I know that Master Adam among others have said there are supposed to be three posts, but since I wondered the same thing you did, I have now spent most of the afternoon looking at Iron Age Long Hall plans for archaeological digs. All of those show the posts appearing in pairs in various places through out the hall. For you, the important part are the ones directly beside the high seat, which in all the archaeological litt that I have now looked at are placed directly beside the highseat, one on each side. They are very nicely carved. These are the same posts that people threw in the water when they first got to Iceland. Since they were attached to the gods and the ancestors in the same fashion that a totempole would be, people tossed them in the water, and wherever they landed on the land is where the people disembarked. Make sense? -T

Edit: OH, I found one text that says the longhouses built with three posts have them spaces out in a triangle . the author says they form a Y shape. That's because they are weightbaring, and so cannot stand in one line.

Hehe, that sounds like something I'd do. "Eh, we'll go where ever this floats to." Bet they've got some interesting artwork. I really need to get cracking on those bracers, found a couple of nice patterns that will be interesting. They really liked the serpent motif, didn't they? :)

Ozmo, yes it would. She does NOT do submissive. She gets that from her mother. Guess I'll have to ask her uncle Johan to find her a fierce Norseman, cuz it'd be nice if she could be with someone "back home". See you can take the girl out of Sweden, but you cannot take Sweden out of the girl.

Hey, Bates, does the barony have a website? If it does, the websites usually have those write-ups on them, in which case you can take a boo at everyone elses' introduction. If not, then it's tricky, cuz it sort of depends on if they want an intro of your mundane persona or your SCA persona. The SCA persona introduction should contain "DOB", name, occupation, hobbies, some of the things your persona may have done or seen (you know, like "traveled to Gårdarike, I served with the varengian guard and raided up the volga on the way home, fought the Skrealings in Vinland" type thing), and it should likely say which weapons you are proficient with if you are active.

Bates, if you really want to see the posts, go to this website:
http://www.diva-portal.org/umu/theses/abstract.xsql?dbid=248&lang=sv
Click where it says "Fulltext", which will open up an awesome thesis paper, unfortunately in Swedish. Page 128 (her actual page numbers, not the Adobe ones) has pictures of some things that are thought to be decorated something like those posts. I can't get pictures to upload to this forum 50% of the time for some reason. Sorry!

Of course they liked their dragon-slithrey-serpent-things. Wouldn't you??

Well, they weren't there in "one go". First Leif Eriksson saw it by accident, but didn't stop. Then he went back to see if there was something worth looking for. He stayed for a couple of months, but returned. Then his sister, Freydís and two other companions - Karlsefni was one, I can't remember his brother's name - went in the spring and stayed the winter. So they sort of just came and went, and they were not consecutive years either. Freydís wanted to go as soon as Leif came back, but couldn't because she didn't own a ship. She had to borrow Leif's, and that still didn't have the capabilities to carry as many people as was deemed necessary to actually settle the place, so then she had to "waste time" finding someone with a ship and crew to come with her and her husband (who didn't really want to go). It was Leif that built the first settlement, but Freydís, Karlsefní and his brother expanded on them because they had more people. That is all according to Sagas of Icelanders, but so far, only one settlement has been found, and it only contains one house foundation, I think (L'Anse aux Meadows has a good website if you want to look at it). They must have been very careful to bring back all their stuff, because they certainly didn't leave much for us archaeologists to find other than that!