Viking mythology and all that goes with it

You know, I can't remember... I have the advantage of speaking Swedish and a few other languages, so I can understand the runestones etc anyhow, so I've never really paid much attention. Anyhow, if there is any place that can give you info about "ON", it's be "the viking answerlady". Google that. She has a really informative and well researched site. Just be ware, though: Swedish is supposed to be one of the more difficult languages to learn, and ON is even worse. I studied all sorts of languages in school, including Latin, German, Swedish, Spanish and a few others, and I still find it difficult to follow all the grammatical twists and turns. Which is not to say that it's not very interesting! You might find it easier to find an tutorial on Icelandic. It's reasonably close to ON, and you really should be able to understand one if you can understand the other as far as reading and writing is concerned. Ty

It sounds like you translate alot of stories Tyra, have you ever thought of starting a website?

I enjoy the original stories more than the ones that "are supposed" to be historic. I would really love to read up more but I am sick of reading alot of stuff that isn't really the original, they're tainted with Christianised viewpoints.

If I ever get a chance to take time off I want to travel to Scotland/Ireland and delve more into my family history. They also tell me that some part of my father's side of the tree has Danish/Swedish blood. But I would have to see the proof before I can claim any lineage.

Request: If I could ask, I'd like to know some story about how the Valkyries came about or some stories in regards to them. I want to take my art into another direction and use AA's songs to build up a nice drawing/painting.

Since I'm also relearning alot, I would like to also make a collage of the band members in a nice scene. But that will have to wait until I practice a bit more :oops:

'course not :D
you can see my stuff here ;)
http://erzebeth-rouge.deviantart.com/
there is a painting inspired from AA's Hermod's ride to Hel ill post soon.

im mostly painting and drawing lately, but i im also in sculpture, but lack of space at home i cant do much... i have to wait for better weather before finishing carving a stone sculpture i made some years ago... because then i didnt had a dremel (not sure orthograph in french, even less in english, so sorry if you dont undersand : /) and i cant do that inside, there is no ventilation.
(thats the dragon/hybrid thing in my signature ;) )

what about you?

'course not :D
you can see my stuff here ;)
http://erzebeth-rouge.deviantart.com/
there is a painting inspired from AA's Hermod's ride to Hel ill post soon.

im mostly painting and drawing lately, but i im also in sculpture, but lack of space at home i cant do much... i have to wait for better weather before finishing carving a stone sculpture i made some years ago... because then i didnt had a dremel (not sure orthograph in french, even less in english, so sorry if you dont undersand : /) and i cant do that inside, there is no ventilation.
(thats the dragon/hybrid thing in my signature ;) )

:cool: I've just discovered deviant art and had a look at your work. Added some favorites (Priestess, BonedGhost sketch, and Noble).

Hopefully in the coming months I will get comfortable enough to start posting my work online as I destroyed all my work 16 years ago when I went walk about (long story).

As for the Dremel, I believe it's an engraver/rotary tool? (and would translate as: to Engrave or to Etch)

290_pd.jpg

All your work is hauntingly beautiful :)

what about you?

I am relearning pencil/sketch for the moment. Finding the inspiration and time is an issue, but I am almost ready to get in fulltime. So I'm gearing up for the career change. Anyway I need some fun and enjoyment out of life istead of work, work, and more work :cry:

I guess you found my http://shealladh.deviantart.com/ page and thank you for the comment.

yep thats what i was talking about with the dremel. my father geared me with one that can use different heads so i can work wood, stone, metal ^^

And, please, dont be shy posting what you do :) this place is for sharing, commenting and learning :)

yep thats what i was talking about with the dremel. my father geared me with one that can use different heads so i can work wood, stone, metal ^^

And, please, dont be shy posting what you do :) this place is for sharing, commenting and learning :)

Coool, so you work in all mediums, I look forward to seeing your work once the weather improves!!!

I must admit I'm a little nervous because it's been so long about creating my sketches, but that said the only picture I have is from years ago (1987) and I taught myself so it's not that good

Aces_High_Sketch.jpg

So I am looking at relearning properly now that I can afford to pay for good teaching ;)

Hey!
I thought we started a whole thread with just fan art...I wonder whatever happened to it? Maybe I'm confused...
Anyhow, you have to check out my friend Bonnie Witcher's deviantart page (yes, her lisence plate says BWITCHER). She uses steel and stuff to make her art. She's probably the most talented person I know personally. A lot of it is asatru inspired stuff: warriorenchantress.deviantart.com

I'll have to think on the Valkyrie request. I'm sort of in an archaeology mind-loop right now, and so at the moment, all I can think about when you say Valkyrie is this thesis that I just read. It's about trying to establish if the term valkyrie strictly meant a religious sort of mythological being, or if there were certain people in every day society that were also refered to as valkyries. There is some textual evidence and such that points towards there being women who were called valkyries back in the day. The first lawbooks makes it a crime to "act like a valkyrie", and why would they outlaw such behaviour if it didn't exist in every day life (it's not like anyone would try to write laws regulating the behaviour of mythological beings, and certainly not Odin's handmaidens). Unfortunately, it doesn't actually specify how a valkyrie acts (or I would be acting accordingly ,-) ) Anyhow, what I am getting at is, that if this behaviour was outlawed, then it may be that the behavior itself got re-named in the stories. Maybe we'll have to look for such women under other names in the stories. I'll have to think about that for a while.

heheheheheheheeheheheheheeheheheheheheeheh^^
Tyra.. you know, ive already spotted them, i say them because its your friend and her beloved, right? DeviantMetalWerks
i knew there were no 2 metal frame of Sleipnir mounted by Odin in DA. Their work is so very great, and since ive experienced their kind of art, i can tell, its awesome !!!!!!! not only the creation process, but also their results :D

yep... world is little... ^^

Hey!
I thought we started a whole thread with just fan art...I wonder whatever happened to it? Maybe I'm confused...

I did have a hunt around for one and thought this was the best place to mention, sorry if I've destracted from the mythology theme though. I'll start a new thread or join another if someone beats me to it:)

Anyhow, you have to check out my friend Bonnie Witcher's deviantart page (yes, her lisence plate says BWITCHER). She uses steel and stuff to make her art. She's probably the most talented person I know personally. A lot of it is asatru inspired stuff: warriorenchantress.deviantart.com

I did a search after Erzebeth.Rouge's post and found her here and some other scraps here

I think this is the one?

I'll have to think on the Valkyrie request. I'm sort of in an archaeology mind-loop right now, and so at the moment, all I can think about when you say Valkyrie is this thesis that I just read. It's about trying to establish if the term valkyrie strictly meant a religious sort of mythological being, or if there were certain people in every day society that were also refered to as valkyries. There is some textual evidence and such that points towards there being women who were called valkyries back in the day. The first lawbooks makes it a crime to "act like a valkyrie", and why would they outlaw such behaviour if it didn't exist in every day life (it's not like anyone would try to write laws regulating the behaviour of mythological beings, and certainly not Odin's handmaidens). Unfortunately, it doesn't actually specify how a valkyrie acts (or I would be acting accordingly ,-) ) Anyhow, what I am getting at is, that if this behaviour was outlawed, then it may be that the behavior itself got re-named in the stories. Maybe we'll have to look for such women under other names in the stories. I'll have to think about that for a while.

Cool, now that is intriguing. We as a modern people sometimes know too much about things and blow myths out of everybodies minds or ruin them.

On the other hand if handled correctly, they can also make them more real imho because they have merit and show how our ancestors saw the surrounding world and it's functions.

If it was indeed added to the law then all sorts of images pop into my mind, but I shall stay away from the speculation and wait for more of your researching before I put forward anything.

From a mythological stand-point, I was always told that the Valkyrie came after a battle and collected the dead, transporting them back to Valhalla and leaving the living on the battlefield to forever roam the world as lost-spirits.

How true this is or how way off it is I am uncertain and have always wanted to know more, especially since my first comic (that I stole from my step-brother) had this old viking story in a comic styled with ink and pen. Hence my drawings were always sketched and then inked with technical pens :oops: And is still my aim...

Being in Australia we have not much history and too far away from the "Real World" to know much at all. Well I guess that's why we think we live at the ass-end of the world...

Oddly enough, I've been having a similar line of thought just from the many appearances they make in the Eddaic sagas. They don't seem to be so much "mythological" beings as much as women who had a warrior mentality, knowledge of the runes, and who ended up being outlawed, like the bärsärks. Weren't almost all the versions of the laws we can find written post-Christianization?

And of course, Bates has a theory about that, as well as the lesson behind Sigrdrifa's teaching the runes to Sigurd in the Sigrdrifumal... But more research is needed, so you're safe from me dropping a page full of madness upon you all, at least for now. ;)

... these books make me think too much!

Yeah, Bates, I know, it hurts! I get the thoughts and make the connections, but then when I try to put it into papers, I am told by the proffs that we cannot believe anything historic written about the Norse. Everything has to be supported with archaeological finds, and when you do that, they say the finds are circumstantial and can support any give theory. It's irritating as hell when you can clearly see patterns, can support them with five or six or more unrelated text sources, and can show that the archaeological finds are present, but they still don't see the connection. Or deny it.

Well, most of the lawbooks are post-Christianization, yes, but IMO that is only a reflection of the fact that up until then, there was no ABC's and also no need to copy the texts down. The retelling of geneaologies, laws, mythology, poetry and histories was a respected job that one got paid for and/or got room and board for. This is a common practise in cultures where there is no written language. The Norse did have runes, and we know from som texts and such that some used the runes to write poetry etc with them. The issue here is that they had no paper, pergament or papyrus to write on, and apparently symbols on ash tablets do not count as written language. So, in other words, the laws were, to the best of our knowledge, not copied down until the arival of the new faith.
However, the oldest originals of Norwegian law texts (as an example, since I am most familiar with them), such as the Gulating and Frostating laws describe laws that were practised before Christianization. They were subsequently changed as time went on, but still, the very first copies relate to pre-Christian practise. Even later texts still depict many of the pre-Christian thinking, in terms of explicitlly outlawing those things that were not Christian (such as praying to the old gods, building places for the worship of old gods and demi-gods, vé, harg and hof), and in terms of using certain types of terminiolgy (such as speaking of Valkyries). These texts have been extremely useful for me in my thesis, since it can be used to connect pre-Christian practice with Christian, so that you can see a clear continuum. (As you know, many scholars and laypeople claim there is no continuum between the pre-Christian society and the Christian one - in my opinion, that's a nice Christian PR type dream that's still being carried on, and thet needs to be deflated. Hence my thesis, since it is the first step in proving a political continuum.)

Shealladh, I wasn't giving you crap about the thread. I think it'd be a really good idea to have a thread with everybody's art work, because there are so many of us that do art based on this music in this forum. Questions and comments keep coming up relating to it, so I thought we'd started one, but then I really don't know if we all just suggested that we start one but never did, or if we actually did. Anyhow, it's gone now, so I think we should start a new one. If you resurrect old threads, people just get their asses in a real twist anyhow (myself being one of them...)

EzR. yeah, it is Bonnie and Erics' art. They're both amazing artists, but they're also amazing people in general. Bonnie is one of those people that, to me, personifies a true Valkyrie. In our SCA houeshold, her and I have honorary titles of Household Valkyries. I guess there's a reason for it...

Whatever you feel like? Well, I mean, unless that involves being a total fucktard, then take it elsewhere.
On a more serious note, I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you're asking about Roman pagan traditions, I don't have much of a clue. If you're asking something else, well, my wee poor brain didn't catch it. :)

Are the members of AA really åsatrofollowers or is it just a image? They are making money on norse culture, and I see some shirt with "viking bitch" on it, the women in norse times was held in high esteem and in the viking age they mostly run the house and farms.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has invented a faith in Åsa yet. It is a nice woman's name in Swedish, though, so maybe some lucky guy really does engage in Åsatro. ;-)
You'd have to ask each band member individually what their religious beliefs are. I am not going to put words in anyone's mouth and I only know what Johan thinks. What he thinks he can tell you himself. With him, it's more to do with respect or maybe reverence for the culture than anything, I think. One does not have to believe in Oden to understand the mindset behind Cry of the Blackbirds or Faith of Norns. Just like many of AA's lyrics, those two are not necessarily about faith, but of emotions and mindset.
It'd be nice if bands like AA actually made the kind of money you seem to think they do. The label may be making money, that I can't tell you much about, but I do know at least a bit about how much money the band has been making in the past, and how much money the guys "make" (or rather, don't make) on some of the tours they've been on.
It's kind of a funny way to look at things, the way you say that they make money of the Norse culture. They are of the Norse culture, and so the lyrics reflect something that's in their frame of reference. It's no different than a black rapper writing about racism in the 'hood or Canadian Sikhs writing sweet lovesongs in Punjabi - it's what's on their minds and in their frame of reference. The fact that they choose to honour their ancestors with their lyrics is a nice bonus that we should all be thankful for. There are a lot worse representatives for the faith (if you choose to think of them in that way) and our Norse ancestors out there. If you're interested in those bands you will need to search the skinhead right-wing band sites. There are an awful lot of them claiming to be asatru and all that. Somehow they don't seem to be able to muster up neither lyrics nor riffs that sell very well, and that's what sells albums. It's just as much Fredrik's drumming, Johan's vocals, the guitarr arrangements and the stage show that sell the albums as it is the lyrical content.
As for "viking bitch" shirts, if you think that women can't be bitches on purpose because they are honoured in a society, you'd have to think again. One of the main roles of Norse women in Old Norse litterature was to incite riot. They were expected to do so, and it was a craft and an honour to be able to be such a Hetzerinn. Strong, independedtminded women, like those found in the ON texts and in Scandinavia today, are more often than not more or less misenterpreted as "bitches" by outside cultures. That comes from them not understanding a woman's standing and power in those societies. So, I personally have no problem with someone calling me a Norse bitch - generally those who do, are nice Christian women who submit to their overlord men. To them, I obviously seem like a bitch, because I do not submit to anyone, man, woman or alien. Not even to Oden. That's why he and I get along so well, whereas Jesus and I don't. It's also why I have been called The Alpha Bitch, and it's why I don't mind being called that. It's my culture and my upbringing as a woman that gives me the ability to bite back, and when women bite back on this part of the world, Anglophones call us bitches. That's all there is to it. So I wear the lable proudly, 'cuz I know why I got it - I know that I have then succeeded in doing what I am supposed to do as a woman of Norse heritage.